Downloads
    Uploads

need help with striped screw

I just received my DD upper with a MFR rail. I was trying to move the rails and I striped one of the small allen srews. What can I do or use to get the screw off and remove the rail. Any help would be great thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Drill it out with a bit smaller than the screw, then use an Easy-Out to remove what's left. Just be careful to drill straight. Use a drill press or take it to a machine shop if you don't have one.

Easy-Out at Sears

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used JB weld or gorilla glue to either bond a smaller nut or a throw away allen wrench to the stripped screw to remove it. Or maybe use a dremel to cut a cross grove to use a flat head screwdriver. Those are just a few ideas that might be available to you. Also if there is somewhat of the shape left to the allen head screw you can lay a rubber band over it and push your allen wrench in and it might provide enough grip to back the screw out
    Last edited by Computalotapus; 10 January 2013 at 12:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks I will anything right now I hate those little screws

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't feel comfortable doing so, take it to a (real) 'smith. Very simple to do, but screw it up (no pun intended) and then you'll have to re-drill, and thread. A gunsmith can do this in about 15 minutes or so. If you feel good about your abilities, either of the above mentioned methods should work fine.

FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are trying to remove a broken screw, try GraBits of the correct size. I have had very good luck with them.

If you stripped the threads in the hole the screw goes in you'll need to heli-coil or time-sert it. You could also drill and tap to one size larger depending on the location and use. My first choice in this case would be a time-sert, then heli-coil, I have had good luck with both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Grab-It's work great on those small allen screws. Another good trick is to use a soldering iron to heat the screw. It is very likely DD used some loctite on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Grab-It's work great on those small allen screws. Another good trick is to use a soldering iron to heat the screw. It is very likely DD used some loctite on it.
    I tried grab it and it didn't move. I went to home depot and bought a dremel and I cut a grove and used a flat head to finally got it out. Thanks for all the help