Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using a Gemtech M402 for many years. It's a cheap, sealed, thread-on can with no special features. I love it. The only drawback is that it will unscrew after extended firing. I could probably cure that with some Rocksett if I felt the need.

I also have an AAC SPR/M4 that I hardly use. It's a much nicer can on paper, but I hardly use it. Why? It's heavier, longer, and has a larger OD. It uses the AAC MITRE mount with the stupid tuning fork that goes "PINGGGGGG!" every time you fire. I hate shooting it. For some kind of spec-ops ninja, it would probably make more sense. For me shooting cans in the woods, or steel on the range, it's retarded.

I just received a couple 22Sparrow .22lr suppressors I've been waiting on for nearly a year. During that time I shot those at the range far more than I ever did my 5.56 suppressors. 22lr is cheap and with a short pistol barrel, most ammo at my elevation is subsonic. It's just way more fun for me than the 5.56 cans.

Don't believe the marketing hype. Think about what you really need, and how much of your money will be sitting unused in a safe for the rest of your life (who ever sells NFA stuff? not me ...)

Lastly, I keep my suppressors matched to their hosts. When you move them around you have to re-zero the host, or live with the altered point of impact. If you're on a tight budget, maybe buy a .30 cal can and use it on everything. However if you're really on a tight budget, why the hell are you buying a suppressor? Just thinking aloud ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some people find suppressors useful, some do not. Just remember, if you do decide to buy one, you're basically married to it for the rest of your life. You can sell NFA items, but you'll likely get pennies on the dollar for it. So for a rest of your life purchase, buy the best you can afford.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a pair of AAC M4-2000 Mod-8 suppressors; 5.56 and 6.8. I also strongly agree with UWone77 in that you won't be swapping these on Criag's List. Looking back, I would do it again but might take the sage advice offered by GriffonSec, "Buy a 30 cal and use the one can on all platforms."

I did a lot of research - vendors web sites and YouTube videos. I looked at DB ratings, size, weight, construction materials, and cost. AAC won my vote based on price/performance. Based on my personal experience with those two, I also bought a Ti-Rant in .45 and a prodigy in .22. A repeat buy is the best endorsement I can give.

I can't say "who is best" with my very limited sample size, but I "can" say I would make the same purchases again.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those looking for a suppressor made with quality parts, from a name in the game, look at the upcoming AAC 556-SD and 762-SD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anybody know if the AAC SDN6 will mount to a Specwar Trifecta mount ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    Does anybody know if the AAC SDN6 will mount to a Specwar Trifecta mount ?
    My sources say... No.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed, it will not. What you don't like the tuning fork?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Agreed, it will not. What you don't like the tuning fork?
    I want the Saker 7.62 but they have no arrival date so my in stock option is the SDN6 but I don't want to miss my chance on getting a suppressor waiting on an unknown due date with our current political climate .

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was told next month by two different dealers and a Silencerco rep.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it looks like it's tuning fork time or deal with the larger Specwar boo hoo first world problems .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it looks like it's tuning fork time or deal with the larger Specwar boo hoo first world problems .
    If you go with the SDN6, why not just go with the Brakeout ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I 'm open for suggestions on the SDN6 . Is it comparable or better then the Specwar or Saker .Also I really liked the Trifecta mount vs the Blackout so that was my only nit pick issue .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    After buying several, I have found silencers to be a complete waste of money for the things I do with guns.

Because of that, I wouldn't buy, or won't buy another, until someone makes a can that meets the following criteria. Most of these features can be found in one can or another, but no one can has them all that I'm aware of.
    -<7" OAL
    -1.5" OD
    -<16 oz (<14 better)
    -7.62 bore
    -muzzle brake mounts in 5.56 and 7.62 with all common thread patterns (AR and AK)
    -flash hider mounts in 5.56 and 7.62 with all common thread patterns (AR and AK)

Basically, bore this out and make mounts in 7.62 that fit it, or lengthen the throat so that it will accept 7.62 mounts.

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=166

With a can like that I can spread the waste across many caliber so and many platform systems.
    Rob which suppressors do you have and what about them is it you find to be inadequate?

The reason I'm asking is that I just efiled for my first SBR. I've also been debating on buying a suppressor for it. However, after seeing (or hearing) a few of them in action I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be so now I'm second guessing buying one. Overall I'm not sure if the added length, weight, and level of suppression is worth the trouble and money. Before I was absolutely sure I was going to buy one, but now I'm straddling the fence.

ETA: After looking at your list of criteria again I guess my question is pretty well answered already. I would guess you find most cans either too big, too heavy, or rule them out because you can't move them to guns of different calibers. The last one wouldn't apply to me as I'm only interested in a dedicated 5.56 can.

I would still be curious to know which cans you have though.
    Last edited by SteveL; 2 March 2014 at 15:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I 'm open for suggestions on the SDN6 . Is it comparable or better then the Specwar or Saker .Also I really liked the Trifecta mount vs the Blackout so that was my only nit pick issue .
    So did you decide yet? I'm thinking about getting a suppressor this year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd get the 762SDN-6. Great overall can for multiple caliber use. It's also priced fairly well if you look around. Another option is the AAC 762-SD. MSRP is $650. It's longer than the 762SDN-6, but it's also a lot cheaper. If I could only have 1 can, this would probably be my pick. In fact when I first bought a can, that was what Rainier Arms recommended to me, but got a M4-1000 instead. Ended up having to buy both, so don't make the same mistake I did. I thought I was saving money at first.