Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask A Cop Q&A

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you are pulled over by the police, and they start asking questions, how would you recommend someone respond? Personally I prefer not to divulge personal details such as where I'm going, what I'm doing, and so on, but I don't want to appear combative or unnecessarily rude to the officer.

I have seen videos where an individual did not fully roll down his window, blatantly refused to answer any questions, and kept saying "Am I being detained officer? Am I free to go?" I understand the rhetoric and idea behind this, however I don't think it's prudent to be combative or rude in this situation. Plus I just don't like being an asshole.

Thanks for any advice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    coincidentally, I'm in Washington state -- I assumed that it popped up on the computer because once I was pulled over and the cop said something about 'I see you have a carry permit' -- but he must have actually recognized it in my wallet.
    In WA, it really depends on how the specific agency has their database query set up. The Department of Licensing maintains the info and when just a driver's status check is sent, that is all that returns. Most agencies that I am ware of do not have the CPL status as part of a standard check, rather the specific request has to be sent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    When you are pulled over by the police, and they start asking questions, how would you recommend someone respond? Personally I prefer not to divulge personal details such as where I'm going, what I'm doing, and so on, but I don't want to appear combative or unnecessarily rude to the officer.

I have seen videos where an individual did not fully roll down his window, blatantly refused to answer any questions, and kept saying "Am I being detained officer? Am I free to go?" I understand the rhetoric and idea behind this, however I don't think it's prudent to be combative or rude in this situation. Plus I just don't like being an asshole.

Thanks for any advice.

Those videos are so stupid. They imply every officer is out to get them. Pure nonsense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post

Thanks for any advice.

Acting like you are hiding something is a good way to look for trouble, and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the responses, but my question remains: how can I be polite without divulging my personal info? Or are you saying that I should just spill and tell him whatever he wants to know?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There really isn't a one answer fits all response for that inquiry and this reply may not help.

If you're just stopped for a minor traffic infraction (speeding, defective equipment, ran a red light, etc.) there most likely won't be much of an inquiry by the police, unless more is suspected such as a DUI (and yes, everyone only has two beers). Or, perhaps they are investigating something that you're not aware of. Example: 911 call of a white male in a green Chevy Tahoe that just broke into the neighbors home and you happen to be a white male in a green Chevy Tahoe, but you can demonstrate that you were coming from the opposite end of town. No, in most circumstances you are not required to provide more than your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. However, there is a happy medium and a little reasonable cooperation goes a long way. FWIW most LE aren't so inclined to give somebody only a warning if they are going out of their way to be a PITA.

This is not directed at anyone here, but more of a generic comment. I always find it interesting when people complain about all the times they are stopped and hassled by the police for no reason. I haven't been stopped in about 20 years and yes, I was in LE at the time and yes, I did get a ticket. How is it that some folks manage to get themselves stopped so often? Perhaps they are making crappy driving choices?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Eric. It sounds like just a little politeness and compassion might prevent 20 questions in the first place. I always try to be respectful when given the opportunity.