Page 52 of 130 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thought I would give you folks another baldie shot from later in the day in Keenesburg. This young guy is dealing with severe crosswinds coming in to land on a structural support. This was shot really late in the evening as he came in hot. I barely got the camera up in time and decided that I liked the little bit of Dutch tilt that resulted from a hurried shot. Pushing the shadows enough to reclaim color left me with some fringing I'm still trying to work out - maybe another hour or two will get it more correct.

"Sidestepping" from BlackDogRanch on Flickr (RiverRat on WEVO)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    I started to mess with 500 but I am just no where near the talent to be on there.
    Meh. Some of the talent on 500px is good, but quality is dropping and I find the site to be too reliant on social-networking-for-pulse. Photos should stand on their own without all the persistent "I liked and followed you....why don't you check out my stream?" comments.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post

RR it looks great! Personally, I like the bit of vignette you have at the corners. Helps diffuse the picture from being so sharp (if that makes sense); makes it a little softer to look at. Personally, just thinking about this now, I would have added some software generated vignetting, and not just solely from the lens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    RR it looks great! Personally, I like the bit of vignette you have at the corners. Helps diffuse the picture from being so sharp (if that makes sense); makes it a little softer to look at. Personally, just thinking about this now, I would have added some software generated vignetting, and not just solely from the lens.
    Thanks - I'm hoping there is something sweet to be had from this.

BTW - that is software Lightroom-generated vignetting - my 70-300L doesn't naturally vignette on the 7D :) The artifacts I was referring to were along the lines of purple and cyan CA that Lightroom didn'tt handle well, a couple of sharpening artifacts (perhaps requiring complete removal of sharpening in Lightroom to instead rely on a high pass filter in Photoshop) and some lingering noise from pushing the shadows in the wings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thought I would give you folks another baldie shot from later in the day in Keenesburg. This young guy is dealing with severe crosswinds coming in to land on a structural support. This was shot really late in the evening as he came in hot. I barely got the camera up in time and decided that I liked the little bit of Dutch tilt that resulted from a hurried shot. Pushing the shadows enough to reclaim color left me with some fringing I'm still trying to work out - maybe another hour or two will get it more correct.

Phenomenal shot!

Downloads
    Uploads

A lizard we saw at ~3000 meters ASL

Downloads
    Uploads
    7D
    ... I just lost all of my respect for you as a photographer.

JK. Wish I had the money to afford something like that lol; I'm stuck with a mid-level SLR for now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And since we're posting bird pics:

Took this shot a long time ago at a small pond. The geese were either taking off, or was just about to land in the water.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    [IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kKXIafnR58c/VN-ioyPWhJI/AAAAAAAAPek/FnGV76Pcnpc/w1557-h1039-no/20150207151.jpg[IMG]
    A lizard we saw at ~3000 meters ASL
    That is cool!

Grr
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Full Moon at the Wrinkle Ranch

First attempt at "shootin' the moon". Below is a closely cropped (full pixel view) shot done at 400mm f5.6 1/400 ISO 100. It is a little "soft". Next time I am going to boost the ISO for a faster shutter speed. That should sharpen it up, and maybe brighten the image.

Any hints from the pros would be appreciated.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    First attempt at "shootin' the moon". Below is a closely cropped (full pixel view) shot done at 400mm f5.6 1/400 ISO 100. It is a little "soft". Next time I am going to boost the ISO for a faster shutter speed. That should sharpen it up, and maybe brighten the image.

Any hints from the pros would be appreciated.
    I'm by no means a pro, but also not an ametuer ... so call me an enthusiast lol.

It's to my understanding that if you bump up the ISO, the image will become much more "noiser" (read: grainy). Basically, the higher up you bump up the ISO, the more grainer the picture becomes, effectively detracting from the sharpness you are trying to strive for.

If you want sharpness, your best bet would most likely be getting a sturdy, quality tripod and just opening up the shutter ~ my guess would be using the bulb setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    I'm by no means a pro, but also not an ametuer ... so call me an enthusiast lol.

It's to my understanding that if you bump up the ISO, the image will become much more "noiser" (read: grainy). Basically, the higher up you bump up the ISO, the more grainer the picture becomes, effectively detracting from the sharpness you are trying to strive for.

If you want sharpness, your best bet would most likely be getting a sturdy, quality tripod and just opening up the shutter ~ my guess would be using the bulb setting.
    Bumping up the ISO one stop, so going to 200, should allow you to increase the shutter speed by one stop, so go from 1/400 to 1/800. At ISO 200 with any decent modern camera you wouldn't detract from image quality significantly. Especially if he's shooting with a full frame sensor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. I'm shooting a Canon 7D on tripod with remote release. Lens is the Canon 100-400 L series wide open, F5.6 is max at 400mm. That's why I think ISO is my best option. One or two stops should not introduce too much grain. We'll see next month.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    This was my first attempt a few months back. Similar setting but used my 75-300mm lens and my SL1.

I posted this on a photog forum and then I got upped by 10 lol. This guy used a Nikon and a 400 telephoto lens with a 2x converter. Everyone there agreed to never shoot the full moon as it doesn't give it enough detail(no shadows). Said more or less its to much direct light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    Bumping up the ISO one stop, so going to 200, should allow you to increase the shutter speed by one stop, so go from 1/400 to 1/800. At ISO 200 with any decent modern camera you wouldn't detract from image quality significantly. Especially if he's shooting with a full frame sensor.
    Oh well in that case, yeah that's perfectly fine. I was thinking, like, going from ISO 100 to ... say ISO 1600 lol. That was what I was getting at.