Page 96 of 130 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1941
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    On the border between Laos and China.

Wow. Nice. Not much different than Huntsville, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Our hotel inn keeper is a villager who has basically been taught how to run a hotel. It's a very rural place and they are trying to spur economic development. Anyway I was in the lobby and I asked about the water buffalo...I asked for a buffalo and I got a buffalo. Probably the weirdest concierge request ever on the planet. LOL!

Actually it was one of the neighbors here who happened to be in the lobby. He was impressed with my Chinese and my curiosity so we hijacked two bicycles and rode over pretty much on the spot. I waded out into a rice field and next thing you know I got a whole series of water buffalo photos.

Name:  34320307625_8f4365123c_b.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  352.7 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Wow. Nice. Not much different than Huntsville, right?
    Just a little bit! LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Resting after a tough day at GriffonSec's range ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Storm rolling in

Name:  IMG_3009.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  1.06 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is Zavikon Island in the Thousand Islands region of New York/Canada. The larger island with the house sits in Canada and the smaller one is in the US. The same person owns them both. The 32 foot bridge is the shortest bridge in the world spanning an international border.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've actually been on those islands. The bridge story is a urban myth. The border runs through the small island. There is a international border monument used for surveys on the small island. Amazing country for sure up there.

Our 6 month old Akita pup.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.42 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ohh I see. Well I was repeating what our guide told us. We took one of the two nation tours. I have never been up there, It's beautiful country. We rented a house right on the Saint Lawrence river for a few days, and had a great time. Hopefully I get back up sometime. I'll post a couple of more shots when we get home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sinner, that is cool that you were on those islands specifically. A few of the thousand islands are currently underwater due to record water level heights.

It's interesting there is a survey marker on the small island. We were told yesterday that the border was drawn specifically to transect any islands. Google earth shows them both in Canada, and there are numerous conflicting accounts online. But drawing borders through the water can be vague anyway.

Nevertheless, it's a cool area up there

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Name:  IMG_0343.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  1.92 MB
    For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it’s still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863...

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948

Downloads
    Uploads
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Sinner, that is cool that you were on those islands specifically. A few of the thousand islands are currently underwater due to record water level heights.

It's interesting there is a survey marker on the small island. We were told yesterday that the border was drawn specifically to transect any islands. Google earth shows them both in Canada, and there are numerous conflicting accounts online. But drawing borders through the water can be vague anyway.

Nevertheless, it's a cool area up there
    We were up there a good bit growing up. Relatives had a place on Grindstone island. Big area for snow machining so we spent a ton of time when it was frozen over too. The water is real shallow in a lot of the bays and channels so rain always made it fluctuate a lot.

We were in a boat and the owner was painting the handrails of that bridge. We idled up and asked if it was really a international bridge as we had always heard the same. He laughed and said "according to anyone who stands to make a penny off it around here it is." Then he showed us where the concrete pedestal was just about center of the little island. Said it was there when he bought the place and no one had ever used it in a survey but he was informed not to disturb it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    We were up there a good bit growing up. Relatives had a place on Grindstone island. Big area for snow machining so we spent a ton of time when it was frozen over too. The water is real shallow in a lot of the bays and channels so rain always made it fluctuate a lot.

We were in a boat and the owner was painting the handrails of that bridge. We idled up and asked if it was really a international bridge as we had always heard the same. He laughed and said "according to anyone who stands to make a penny off it around here it is." Then he showed us where the concrete pedestal was just about center of the little island. Said it was there when he bought the place and no one had ever used it in a survey but he was informed not to disturb it.
    Well I reckon that makes sense. To a tourist the first story is a better one haha. Kinda makes me ponder the accuracy of other things we were told though.

My father in law grew up in Lowville about an hour southeast. He and his siblings own a cabin in the adirondacks on a chunk of property, but I had never been further north until last week. New York does have some beautiful country, just a shame its New York.

One of his nephews got married in Clayton, so we rented a house on the Saint Lawrence as opposed to doing the hotel thing. We were right on the water and saw who knows how many ships go by between Lake Ontario and the North Atlantic.

My girls enjoyed watching them also

Some people I talked to up there told us the water level in the river was 18" above the record set back in the 70s. They actually had to build platforms on top of the flooded docks so that people could still use them. This shot is at Boldt Castle when the boat was docking.

I wish I could have gotten a better shot of this little house, but the sun was not at the best angle.

This is Boldt Castle, we could have gotten off the boat here, but due to dinner plans we had to get back to the car.

About two pictures in on the first day there, the battery in my good Nikon quit and I was without a spare, so iPhone it was. At least it takes a decent point and shoot picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's that time of year...

Name:  19452852_1610072085730262_2476415594329828128_o.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  216.7 KB
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun