Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a nikon DSLR last year, and still haven't taken the time to really learn it. No excuse, I just haven't. Macro is something I do want to spend time with though. I love the close up pictures that almost don't seem real.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    I bought a nikon DSLR last year, and still haven't taken the time to really learn it. No excuse, I just haven't. Macro is something I do want to spend time with though. I love the close up pictures that almost don't seem real.
    I've never used a Nikon or a Canon camera. I use Pentax. Regardless I can help you get to macro on the cheap if you want. Caution though, because you will get hooked looking for bugs and stuff.

I won't be able to help with the settings and stuff but the general setup is easy, and no you don't have to buy some expensive macro lens. I shoot most macro shots with a $100 manual ebay lens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll look at my lenses. I have the 300mm IS/AF lens, and a 500mm? Non IS/AF lens that is from my wife's old 35mm SLR, the main reason for the Nikon was it was compatible with a lot of her older high dollar stuff.

I would appreciate some coaching sometime. The camera is smarter than me

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll look at my lenses. I have the 300mm IS/AF lens, and a 500mm? Non IS/AF lens that is from my wife's old 35mm SLR, the main reason for the Nikon was it was compatible with a lot of her older high dollar stuff.

I would appreciate some coaching sometime. The camera is smarter than me
    Do you have a flash? You will only need that (sometimes) and one other piece of gear... well two...

You need a reverse ring... what it does is it screws into the threads on your lens... where you normally put filters.... the other side of the ring is a camera mount.

You will also need an old lens, preferrably 28mm that has an aperture ring on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321063637412?lpid=82

Screw the ring onto the lens and mount it to your camera. Yes your lens will be on the body completely backwards. You should only use very high F stop numbers otherwise your depth of field will be way too shallow. Most of the time focusing is done using live view mode and moving the camera in and out. You have to stalk or sneak up on your subjects most of the time (if they are alive, like bugs)....

Often you will have to use flash because you are stopping way down (like F11 to F22) or whatever the lens allows.

If you want to use an old manual 50mm lens you can... it works the same, just less zoom. A 28mm lens gives more zoom in macro than a 50mm lens will. But get both and try it.

Needless to say all this is done in complete manual mode.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1...acro-rigs.html
    Last edited by alamo5000; 11 November 2014 at 23:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some more links...

(this guy is good)

http://thomasshahan.com/#photos

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/

One more shot of mine...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I do have a flash, well the one made in the camera. Ill check on my lenses tomorrow. I may be off on the sizes.

Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I'll play a little tomorrow. My latest 'desire' to shoot is old 18 wheelers that are Working, or sitting 'forgotten'. My true passion is old semis, in my day to day adventures I see a lot just sitting, and a lot working still. Harvest season is drawing to a close here, that's what really gave me this idea. So I'm wanting to get out and see what I can do. Hopefully get some good ones of our trucks working too.

Plenty of bugs on a farm though. Lots to practice with!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Here are some more links...

(this guy is good)

http://thomasshahan.com/#photos

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/

One more shot of mine...

Yes! I must master that! Maybe not with spiders though haha, even though spider webs in morning dew can be quite a nice sight

Downloads
    Uploads
    My biggest problem with photography is that I lack what I feel are compelling and interesting subjects. I don't have the artists eye....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well my first 'good' camera was a Z1050IS kodak. $225 dollars, nothing fancy but it turned out to be a awesome camera, for no more than what it was, it had an incredible zoom, and was feature packed like some big cameras, in the right setting, you could take pictures with the lens nearly against the subject. For me the best way to learn, is to play with it. Flowers and birds, two things that I normally paid no attention to, really became an obsession for awhile. My friends wife is an amateur landscaper, and they have a meticulously done yard, I spent a weekend there just photographing flowers and birds in trees. I really learned the camera, because I had a seemingly endless supply of subject matter. I need to take the time to do this same thing with my new one, but I lead a much busier life than I did 6 years ago.

I don't know if I have the artists eye, but I try. Its fun either way. Trucks and livestock take the top pics for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pic thread.
    Just goofing around after shooting and just liked the way this one turned out.
    EDIT: This is not me, but a friend.

Last edited by Pyzik; 12 November 2014 at 08:51.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't do the selfie thing, but I was waiting on my wife in victoria's secret one day and took this with my iphone. I thought it was cool so I kept it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Here is a macro shot that I took a couple years ago right when I first started learning to take photos. (Right after I bought my first SLR camera)

that is very impressive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    that is very impressive
    Why thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well my first 'good' camera was a Z1050IS kodak. $225 dollars, nothing fancy but it turned out to be a awesome camera, for no more than what it was, it had an incredible zoom, and was feature packed like some big cameras, in the right setting, you could take pictures with the lens nearly against the subject. For me the best way to learn, is to play with it. Flowers and birds, two things that I normally paid no attention to, really became an obsession for awhile. My friends wife is an amateur landscaper, and they have a meticulously done yard, I spent a weekend there just photographing flowers and birds in trees. I really learned the camera, because I had a seemingly endless supply of subject matter. I need to take the time to do this same thing with my new one, but I lead a much busier life than I did 6 years ago.

I don't know if I have the artists eye, but I try. Its fun either way. Trucks and livestock take the top pics for me.
    I can shoot pictures of wildlife and bugs all day long. That's all we have for 15 miles in any direction around here. I want to shoot people and do portraits and other stuff like that. I also really like foreign cultures/languages/food etc.
    (I am fluent in mandarin... reading writing and especially speaking)...I would like to capture people though, all kinds of people...

I have several very professional photographer friends so every time I think I did good I look at their work, and look at mine, and go 'damn, back to the drawing board'...

All in all since I first picked up a camera it's been a bit over 2 years since I started. Before I carried around a point and shoot but I never owned any kind of proper camera in my life until about 2 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife lived in Bolivia before I met her, and goes back every year to volunteer with at risk women. She wants me to go with her sometime, I hope to bring back lots of good pictures when I do go. Photographing people here is not something I get into, but an entirely different culture in an entirely different world is an exciting idea.

I know what you mean about looking at your pics, then someone else's work. I'm doing that on WEVO. Lots of talent here