Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    That's a sharp looking watch. I wasn't familiar with the brand but see they are made in Ohio. I'm typically a fan of Hamilton for that reason, so I'll have to consider a Lum-Tec for my next watch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    That's a sharp looking watch. I wasn't familiar with the brand but see they are made in Ohio. I'm typically a fan of Hamilton for that reason, so I'll have to consider a Lum-Tec for my next watch.
    I've owned a few Hamiliton's I like them, had one of the "I am Legend" Khaki Twilight, or was it a sunset? I don't remember it was a while ago. It was a decent watch very bulky though.

I know the guys at Lumtec, very much the types who enjoy customer suggestions and that really drives the brand. Nothing mass produced, all US put together, they look for US sourcing whenever possible/feasible. I'd highly recommend checkin them out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have a Rolex Submariner? I’m about 4 months out from saving enough for one for my old man. I’m wondering if the submariner is the way to go, or the GMT Master.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you looking at the new maxi case models or an older reference? With the newer models, the sub and gmt are more or less the same. The only major difference (obviously) is the GMT hand. Other than that the movements, dimensions and workmanship are almost exactly the same. If you are looking for an older reference, I would recommend you do some research (if you have not already) as rolex tends to incrementally change and tweek features and movements over time, with little to no change to the overall final appearance of the product or even reference number.

Good luck finding a new one at a retailer!

Downloads
    Uploads

Watch suggestions

Submariner is more classic, IMO. GMT if he travels a lot and likes playful colors. The newer ceramic bezel is a marked improvement over previous generations, unless you go true vintage.

Hit Chrono24 among other places for price comparison and availability if you don’t have a dealer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Anyone have a Rolex Submariner? I’m about 4 months out from saving enough for one for my old man. I’m wondering if the submariner is the way to go, or the GMT Master.
    If that's something he wants then yeah, go for a standard sub.

If he doesn't care exactly what kind of watch it is, I'd highly recommend an omega seamaster. It's just more awesome and doesn't have the stigma of rolex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If that's something he wants then yeah, go for a standard sub.

If he doesn't care exactly what kind of watch it is, I'd highly recommend an omega seamaster. It's just more awesome and doesn't have the stigma of rolex.
    He doesn't know it's coming, but I know he has an affinity for them.

I can't argue with the Omega. I love my Seamaster, it's a work of art. I'd love to get another someday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve been lurking this thread forever..It’s making me want a nice watch..well a watch period..lol..

Some nice pieces fellas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He doesn't know it's coming, but I know he has an affinity for them.

I can't argue with the Omega. I love my Seamaster, it's a work of art. I'd love to get another someday.
    For whatever my opinion is worth on the subject...

Rolex, especially the "sub" has become a tainted status symbol which most look to as either a way of showing off their "status" by flaunting it, look at young rappers and the like wearing them. What makes it worse is that there is a ton of replica's of them out there that it may be really hard to tell if you have a genuine one unless you buy it at an AD (authorized dealer). I'd highly recommend NOT buying one "pre-owned" and especially not online as you really don't know what you are getting.

On the flip size, an Omega Seamaster is basically the "do all" watch for the average person. It doesn't scream "money" but has that awesome appeal that favors those who are looking for a humble style (like james bond) and they aren't out to flaunt anything to anyone. They are also half the cost often times.

Another watch to consider over the rolex is the Tudor Pelagos. It's a decent watch the brand has made huge leaps in the last few years. Yes, it's owned by Rolex, but it's got a totally different feel and style to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 73 year old man isn't about status symbols, but I agree. Anytime I see someone with a sub, I think... probably fake, but that's generally because of the area I work in. That's basically why I thought about going the GMT II, since the Sub is overplayed. I will be getting a new one from an authorized dealer at a physical store.

I don't see too many Omega's if at all, so there is a little aura still surrounding them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 73 year old man isn't about status symbols, but I agree. Anytime I see someone with a sub, I think... probably fake, but that's generally because of the area I work in. That's basically why I thought about going the GMT II, since the Sub is overplayed. I will be getting a new one from an authorized dealer at a physical store.

I don't see too many Omega's if at all, so there is a little aura still surrounding them.
    The look of GMT's are cool I'm just of the mindset that unless you need a feature not to have it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man
    Rolex, especially the "sub" has become a tainted status symbol which most look to as either a way of showing off their "status" by flaunting it,
    There's much in the firearms world where you could argue is the same. NOT saying this is you, but I'm sure you would agree about some items.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man
    The look of GMT's are cool I'm just of the mindset that unless you need a feature not to have it.
    I've been a fan of the GMTs for a long time, and it's interesting that you mention the feature. The go/no-go for me for a watch is having GMT time, so it's met the "cool" factor as well as the actual usefulness. Plus it's tough to not get excited about Pesi-cola James Bond watch...well...until you see the price. That quickly brings me back to being content with my X-33 Omega.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    There's much in the firearms world where you could argue is the same. NOT saying this is you, but I'm sure you would agree about some items.

I've been a fan of the GMTs for a long time, and it's interesting that you mention the feature. The go/no-go for me for a watch is having GMT time, so it's met the "cool" factor as well as the actual usefulness. Plus it's tough to not get excited about Pesi-cola James Bond watch...well...until you see the price. That quickly brings me back to being content with my X-33 Omega.
    Not exactly the same, but I can see why its easy to think so.

A "cheap" watch for a competent "watch guy" of middle class means is around $500-$2500. A "grail" watch for a competent "watch guy" of middle class means is in the $5500-$10,000 range.

A "cheap" gun for a competent "gun guy" of middle class means is a Glock. A "grail" gun for a competent "gun guy" of middle class means is still a Glock, and a bucket of ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not exactly the same, but I can see why its easy to think so.

A "cheap" watch for a competent "watch guy" of middle class means is around $500-$2500. A "grail" watch for a competent "watch guy" of middle class means is in the $5500-$10,000 range.

A "cheap" gun for a competent "gun guy" of middle class means is a Glock. A "grail" gun for a competent "gun guy" of middle class means is still a Glock, and a bucket of ammo.
    I get your point, and I don't disagree. I guess I was getting at the guy that buys a KAC so he can take pictures of it and show it off on FB or IG, when another guy can spend x amount less and buy a Colt (or hell, an Aero Precision) and shoot the snot out of it and it works just fine.

The internet may be getting in the way, but I think we're attacking this similarly, but from different angles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ummm...I buy KAC