Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The sub is one of the most iconic watches of all time and has the story of pedigree to back it up. Pop culture made it into something else. At its core it is a testament to ingenuity and courage. Some may use it for status because the brand is one of the most recognizable in the world. They still hold their value better than than other brand distributed at that level. They are not priced at high luxury scale. I don’t see it as a status watch. An AP royal oak would fall more into that category.

I think Omega is overrated and depends far too much on celebrity marketing. I think their classic speedmaster moon watch is where it’s at as far as a brand goes. I find their seamaster cartoony and looking over it’s shoulder at the sub.

Base level Panerai is a modern classic with military roots which, as a big watch, wears well but not too bold.

At the end of the day, though, a watch isn’t about any of those things. It’s about comfort, usefulness, and emotional appeal. For many it’s the one heirloom from dad that has significance, if they wore it often, regardless of the brand. But quality will determine if it keeps ticking when it’s handed down. I’d say when gifting a watch find something that reflects well of him, his personality and taste.

I can think of other—maybe better—brands that suit a gentlemen in his 70s than the above, like Baume & Mercier and Glashütte Original.

My opinion is worth what you paid. No doubt this topic has emotional commitment no matter where it’s discussed. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Ummm...I buy KAC
    Me too. Pleas reread my post. I'm not knocking KAC buyers. I'm knocking those that buy a brand (or function) for no other reason than to show it off but not actually use it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    G-Shock and Ironman. Good enough for timing to the minute, and plenty left over for ammo. :)

I'd love a nice watch, but I break 9 out of 10 watches I put on. I'm sure an Omega or Breitling would last longer, I'd just hate to own something I had to limit to occasions.

Call Jocko a cheap bastard.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love the PAM and the G48. How do you like the single stack?

Downloads
    Uploads
    man, I completely forgot that this conversation was still going on.

Uwone? Have you looked into whether or not the authorized dealer you are planning to purchase from even has these models in stock? Stainless steel sport models are some of the hardest Rolex's to find right now and most times, people have difficulty walking into a retailer on any given day and finding what they want. If you find one in stock, I would suggest buying it and then having the store hold it until your dad can come in and pick it up. That way he can go through the "retail experience" of having is sized, and get his name and information on the warranty card.

Not saying you haven't looked into it, but just thought that I would mention it, and give you something more things to considder. Its a fairly big point of frustration among Rolex collectors, that buying a new model is not as simple as it once was. I bought my explorer randomly one weekend a few months ahead of when I was planning to. Just happened to walk past a store window and see one on display. I bought it on the spot because I knew that it would likely be gone in a few days.

Still looks like you are thinking about a Submariner-date or a GMT. I personally prefer the standard Submariner with no date. A little cleaner look to me, and it gets a little more cred amongst the WIS... don't know if that would really matter to you or not.

Rolex is such a well known brand that there are countless copies of every model they produce.

If you decide on a Rolex and you are having trouble finding one, feel free to drop me a line and I can point you in the direction of reputable third parties.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Figured I would get in on this watch debate while its still hot and rant for a while.

In my opinion, Rolex stainless steel sport models represent an extremely high value in watch making. They have a track record that proves them to be utterly rugged, dependable, and longest lasting watches on the market. There are many watches that sell for Rolex prices but Rolex is one of the few watch companies on the planet that produces almost all of their parts in-house. They even have their own smelting and forges to produce their cases. If memory serves, Rolex only purchases two parts from third party vendors. Other watch manufacturers that can boast similar in-house capabilities generaly charge two to three (and much higher) time as much. The modern design variations incorperate technologies that have extended the service life to 7-10 years, and keep the watch running to a standard of +-.05 seconds a day.

Modern Omegas are GREAT watches and they come close to Rolex, but they still lack some of the refinement. This is coming from someone who has owned many Omegas (and other brands) over the years. The white gold hands and markers of the Rolex help reflectivity and will not tarnish. The gears in the Rolex are machined and finished to a higher degree, which leads to more consistant accuracy over time, a smoother sweep of the hand, and less operating noise when the watch is running. The cases have a solid caseback which helps maintain a low overall height which helps them slip under a cuff.

Is a quartz digital watch going to be more accurate, and be able to take more abuse? Probably. Will other mechanical watches tell the time for less cost? Yes.

Fledge is right when he says that the Sub is the most iconic watch of all time. Arguably, and statistically, Rolex is one of the most, if not THE most iconic brand in the world. This comes with a lot of extra baggage, as there are plenty of brand obsessed people who will buy an expensive thing (or a cheap knockoff) just because of the name printed on it. I don't think people should care about how others might percieve a brand. At the end of the day I wear what I want because of its utility, quality of construciton, and engineering.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Love the PAM and the G48. How do you like the single stack?
    It's good for the purposes I require it for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    I don't think people should care about how others might percieve a brand. At the end of the day I wear what I want because of its utility, quality of construciton, and engineering.
    Right there with you. I'm just a big fan of quality constructed tools with fine materials. Just something about how everything comes together. Much like debates about which AR is the best, everyone has their own take on things.

Honestly, not even a huge Rolex fan myself. I think I've told this story before in this thread. My dad is a Rolex guy, always wanted a nice Rolex. His income never really matched his tastes though. The Submariner is iconic as you've all said. Back in the mid 80's my dad ended up with my grandfathers Rolex (not sure of the model, but probably from the early 70's, late 60's) from my mom's side. He died in an auto-ped accident in 1985. At the time, his son (my uncle) was only a teen so the watch was given to my dad. I wanted to see that watch go back to my uncle, as it really should have, so he can pass it down to his own son.

I didn't want to leave my dad high and dry, so I wanted to replace that Rolex with his own. And one day I hope to pass it on to my boy. Figured it was a good time to start our own tradition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like a pretty good reason and something he would probably really appreciate.

My family doesn't have many long-time traditions and family heirlooms but my parents recently retired and purchased some land in the black hills of NC. I plan on expanding on that land when the opportunity come available, and when I can afford to, and pass that on to my kids.

A few years ago I started to settle down in my desire to collect a large variety of of things or chase the latest tech, and have begun to focus on a small amount of high quality items that can be passed down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sitting here thinking... it would be a shame if my boy had no interest in firearms when he gets older. I would have loved it if my old man gave me 60+ NFA items.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like traditions, and I have done something similar with my own family (and will when my kids graduate college).

The issue I've seen, specifically with Rolex, which is slowly start to reach brands like AP (Audemars Piguet). The issue is that when you save up some cash, spend it on a nice genuine sub, the first thing people will ask is "is that real?" This is pretty exclusive to Rolex, yes being one of the biggest and best known watch brands in the world may provide such issues, it is not exactly applicable to other companies. There are dozens of other brands which have a better in-house movement development, brand recognition, and don't come with the stigma which Rolex seems to have associated with it.

Just my opinion on the matter, I see this not getting better, only worse as times goes on to a point where Rolex will be forced to address it in some way. Maybe a rebranding of their image or something to dissociate themselves from the current stigma associated with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm sitting here thinking... it would be a shame if my boy had no interest in firearms when he gets older. I would have loved it if my old man gave me 60+ NFA items.
    Make sure you have that on lock. My great uncle passed and didn't have much of a plan for his collection and myself and a couple of cousins were devastated. We were all kids and not versed in the NFA thing back in those days and several highly collectible, valuable items went to auction and sold relatively locally for a pittance. I'd have at least liked for my Great Aunt to have seen a tidy profit, but he was the major sportsman, travelling to hunt, ex-mil and he had one hell of a collection of militaria as well. The rest of us were learning, but he didn't prep us enough in time.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've wanted a Navihawk or a Nighthawk for a while now. I stumbled on this Skyhawk for the right price and was close enough so I picked it up.

FDS_5147 by Damage Photos, on Flickr
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes..

Winnng...