Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much patience is considered "normal?"

I figured I'd ask the question here about vendors and get some opinions. I'm having a specific issue with one particular vendor (a sight sponsor), but my intent isn't to name them specifically and single them out here. Instead, I'm curious as to how long people think is appropriate before you start raising hell (whatever that may mean to the individual).

My situation:

-After several weeks during this continued panic, I finally received a shipping notice from the vendor. Hey, no big deal...it's a crazy time and some places are just trying to keep up.
    -Tracking number (USPS...I know that's a whole other thread that's out there) doesn't return anything.
    -Numerous attempts to contact manufacture/vendor (actual person's email, phone calls with full VM inboxes) have yielded nothing.

It's now 2+ weeks after the shipping notice with a charged CC and no way of knowing if anything is actually moving in my direction.

So, how long do you go before you start calling your credit card company? I get some vendors have been overwhelmed, especially the small, Mom and Pop places that turn out great products but at a (relatively) small scale. But how long is "too long?" For me, one of the parts I ordered is for an upcoming class in a week. I recognize that can cloud my perspective, but with a charged CC AND tracking, but with no contact, it can obviously get frustrating.

So do I need to pour another glass of Scotch and relax? Well, that's a given... But do I next pick up the phone and call the card company? I'm sure others have had some similar experiences from reputable vendors so I welcome their perspective.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heck, I waited weeks for the NRA to charge my CC (I actually called them and they said it'd be another week before they got that far) for the NRA "Life Member" special. Then weeks more holding my breath waiting....I guess it depends on how bad you want their stuff.
    I ordered some trigger mods and a couple of other things for my Glock and have been waiting weeks. I could call them and cancel the order (in my case they have not actually charged the card), but then I'd have to start over somewhere else. Hell, this panic thing or whatever a person wants to call it has even the most minor or obscure parts or items backordered. I guess it's your will over the vendor's. I've noticed that more than a few vendors have shut down their websites with a statement something like "due to the unexpected heavy demand we will be taking no orders....etc. etc.

If you're really worried, I'd just call the CC company and cancel. If not, hurry up and wait.... Really, that's your only choice. Good luck.

FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    I get your sentiment, but I'm not talking about ordering something and waiting for it to a) get charged and/or b) to ship. All that can take a lot of time right now, and I get that. All that stuff happened already. Now it's a matter of a vendor not communicating (most likely because they can't due to just being too over-whelmed) and me with nothing to show for my CC charge after several weeks of trying to address it.

But, as you said, it's up to me to call the CC company. Was just looking for some other perspectives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With things the way they are, I would say give it a month. Unless we're talking about thousands of dollars, I would just wait it out.

I've waited 2 months for parts from Palmetto and Troy during this mess. I called once and it was damn near impossible to speak to a human being. But I got my stuff eventually!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a tracking number for usps you should make sure the package has not been stolen. Go to the post office and ask them. They can search more in their system than can be seen online. Chances are it has been stolen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeake View Post
    If you have a tracking number for usps you should make sure the package has not been stolen. Go to the post office and ask them. They can search more in their system than can be seen online. Chances are it has been stolen.
    I wouldn't go that far just yet. When you purchase online postage with a tracking number it automatically "exists", even if it hasn't been through a PO. I had a tracking number from Kahr Arms for night sights for over 3 weeks.

OP, give it time. If it's from a site sponsor they're most likely reputable.
    C. Smith

Downloads
    Uploads
    He needs to be sure that it has not been presented to the post office. If not more patience is in order

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    I wouldn't go that far just yet. When you purchase online postage with a tracking number it automatically "exists", even if it hasn't been through a PO. I had a tracking number from Kahr Arms for night sights for over 3 weeks.

OP, give it time. If it's from a site sponsor they're most likely reputable.
    Exactly the issue. The USPS has no record of the tracking number, just:

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.
    There's not even the "...label has been generated..." or "...electronic notification has been received..." that you normally see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeake View Post
    He needs to be sure that it has not been presented to the post office. If not more patience is in order
    Which is probably the one reason why I've held off. Just odd that there's not even an electronic notification when you try and track it despite there being a tracking number. Sounds like I'll wait a little longer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    gatordev, for what it's worth I do my fair share of shipping (aquatic plants, mostly). Every time I've printed a USPS shipping label I've checked its tracking through the USPS website (I guess just to make sure it processed my order, I'm a little on the OCD side), and the same thing you posted showed up. It didn't change until it processed through the mail facility. Where to go from here is really a judgment call on your part. If you think you're getting hosed and/or can do without whatever part/item it is, call the CC company. If not, just wait it out a little longer. It's a hectic time for a lot of these companies. Like I said, I waited 3 weeks for night sights for a pistol I know isn't exactly at the level of popularity as S&W, Beretta, etc.
    C. Smith

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    gatordev, for what it's worth I do my fair share of shipping (aquatic plants, mostly). Every time I've printed a USPS shipping label I've checked its tracking through the USPS website (I guess just to make sure it processed my order, I'm a little on the OCD side), and the same thing you posted showed up. It didn't change until it processed through the mail facility. Where to go from here is really a judgment call on your part. If you think you're getting hosed and/or can do without whatever part/item it is, call the CC company. If not, just wait it out a little longer. It's a hectic time for a lot of these companies. Like I said, I waited 3 weeks for night sights for a pistol I know isn't exactly at the level of popularity as S&W, Beretta, etc.
    Copy. After I posted my last post, I realized that I've been spoiled with places like Rainier which seem to use a different "front end" when checking shipping and you at least get the "Electronic notification" blurb when checking. I've sent two things in the last couple of days and when I put in the tracking number, it was giving me the "not available" blurb until after a day or two as well, even though I know I shipped it. Looks like they just haven't even got my order out of the door yet, which is crazy, but I know it's a weird time.

Appreciate the input, everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly it looks like the CC company needs to get involved. After numerous calls and several emails, I got through once and was told that "stuff leaves that same day, there's no way it can be here. I'll call you right back..." And that's the last time anyone has talked to me. A month after a shipping notice is enough of a grace time, IMO.

I do NOT think there was any intentional shadiness, it's just too bad that they're so overwhelmed that they're unable to follow up with a shipment that never made it to the Post Office even after it was brought to their attention.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gatorev, I think, since you've decided to continue this thread, you ought to quit apologizing for the same company that you say is screwing you around. You make your case, then follow up with something like "too bad they're so overwhelmed...." ferret them out, or get your money back, or whatever. Just because they are a site sponsor here doesn't mean you have to put up with piss poor service, less than honest shipment info, etc..etc...

FT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post

Just because they are a site sponsor here doesn't mean you have to put up with piss poor service, less than honest shipment info, etc..etc...

FT.
    +1

The sponsor also uses their company name, as a username, and has posted as recently as 4/10/2013.

If they have time to post, they have time to fill your order.

I call BS on this gig.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yikes. That escalated quickly.

I'll call the CC company tomorrow. It's just not on my list of priorities tonight.

louie, you spoke with me via PM. The intent was for it to stay in the PM and not to out anyone publicly.

Gatorev, I think, since you've decided to continue this thread, you ought to quit apologizing for the same company that you say is screwing you around. You make your case, then follow up with something like "too bad they're so overwhelmed...." ferret them out, or get your money back, or whatever. Just because they are a site sponsor here doesn't mean you have to put up with piss poor service, less than honest shipment info, etc..etc...

FT.
    Copy, and a fair point. If Mods want the name, I'll be happy to give it to them. If not, that's fine too. I've just seen examples in the past where people innocently bring up a company's name and everyone on the internet gets all butt-hurt. I appreciate the relative lack of drama on this site, so I'm trying not to add to it...obviously poorly.
    Last edited by gatordev; 22 April 2013 at 21:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    If Mods want the name, I'll be happy to give it to them. If not, that's fine too. I've just seen examples in the past where people innocently bring up a company's name and everyone on the internet gets all butt-hurt. I appreciate the relative lack of drama on this site, so I'm trying not to add to it...obviously poorly.
    You've been more than patient. If you wish to name them, no problem, but the choice is yours.