Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Whixton View Post
    May I use this line? With credit of course
    I tell people that while I'm in uniform, I certainly have no problems with you telling people the truth as well.

BRD Jerm Guest
    I think too many people get caught up on the whole ballistics thing. If you shoot anyone with a decent .223 bullet, they will go down, period. I would be more worried about tactics and how to use an AR or handgun properly before I beat myself over the head with which ammo is best for this or that situation. If someone enters your house and you are justified to shoot him/her, shoot the BG until he stops moving towards you.
    im no expert(as mentioned),and im sure thats true to a large extent.

but seeing the difference in various mediums between a 55gr .223 round and a 75gr TAP in 5.56...lets just say i have alot of respect for the TAP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say 55gr TAP, 60gr TAP and 75gr TAP will all stop a BG in a home invasion/ defense situation. It all depends on what your house layout is, how close your neighbors are and how much that either of those factors weigh on you. I'm by no means a ballistics expert.

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BRD Jerm View Post
    im no expert(as mentioned),and im sure thats true to a large extent.

but seeing the difference in various mediums between a 55gr .223 round and a 75gr TAP in 5.56...lets just say i have alot of respect for the TAP.
    Each bullet has its weaknesses and strongpoints. You have to pick the bullet that is best for you. What may work in my situation, may not be the best for you and vice-versa.

The Hornady 75 Gr. TAP is one of the most devastating rounds agains flesh, but it isn't the best against barriers. There are several SWAT Teams that actually use two different rounds. One round as a barrier round and one round which is a very lightweight, such as a 40-55 Gr. bullet, to clear rooms.

Just pick whatever bullet/ammo fits your needs and learn the strengths and weaknesses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, for the info~~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Burn View Post
    From the responses, it looks like I might as well just assume the windows aren't even there and make decisions from there. In my situation, it looks like am headed down the road of a 9mm or .45 carbine. Pistol rounds are adequate in the 0->15 yard range while being somewhat less lethal beyond the perimeter of the house in a miss situation. Seems to be the best balance of performance/safety.
    IN my department we strongly advocate the use of the 5.56 carbine inside. We use 55gr pointed soft point and find that it actually has less over penetration problems than any handgun round because it fragments and stays in the wall etc. I am also here to tell you from personal experiance that this round also works very well on the BG.

As we say and train.... Head shots work...