Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Just out of curiosity for those of with the .300 blackouts, wouldn't those dented cases be a problem to reload? I want to build one in .300 blackout as a pistol but I'd sure hate to not be able to reload the cases.
    No, the case mouth is resized back to spec.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dented case necks ...

Just out of curiosity for those of with the .300 blackouts, wouldn't those dented cases be a problem to reload? I want to build one in .300 blackout as a pistol but I'd sure hate to not be able to reload the cases.
    These aren't huge dents. Here's one of the casings from my .300blk, the flat spot on the bottom right of the case mouth is the type of dent in question

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting. I wonder if it was ejected with a little less force if that would prevent it from flipping all the way around to hit the deflector.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    These aren't huge dents. Here's one of the casings from my .300blk, the flat spot on the bottom right of the case mouth is the type of dent in question

That will come right out after being run through a sizing die and looks completely normal as far as I can tell. Probably caused by hitting the shell deflector as it is a flat indentation on the case mouth.

Probably likely because of the shorter case length on the 300BLK casing. You're using the same upper design for a shorter shell casing, so where a 5.56 would bounce of somewhere on the shoulder or just before it, the 300BLK hits on the mouth as its a shorter case.
    Last edited by velocity2006; 23 September 2014 at 16:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    That will come right out after being run through a sizing die and looks completely normal as far as I can tell. Probably caused by hitting the shell deflector as it is a flat indentation on the case mouth.

Probably likely because of the shorter case length on the 300BLK casing. You're using the same upper design for a shorter shell casing, so where a 5.56 would bounce of somewhere on the shoulder or just before it, the 300BLK hits on the mouth as its a shorter case.
    That cause I understood from reading the earlier posts. Thanks for posting the picture because it's obvious the resizing die word sort it out. i wonder what modification could be done to prevent it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would assume that fiddling with the ejector/ejector spring could reduce how much the 300aac case rotates, so that the case could rotate more similarly to the 5.56, but that would surely lead to overly weak extraction in fouled rifles. The easy solution to the dents is probably just to glue a piece of rubber onto the brass deflector. Or use a slickside upper.
    I am glad to discover I'm not the only one with the issue. I had figure it was just because I was using a billet Seekins upper with a unique profile on the brass deflector.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what I was thinking - fiddle with the ejector spring in the bolt. I'm not sure anyone would want to glue anything to their upper receiver though possibly just a dab of black silicone could be laid on since it would come off easy enough. If they are only as severe as that picture though then it shouldn't be an issue for reloading and that's what I had started thinking about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the process of a 300blk build but reload several other calibers.. I've never had a problem resizing the dented case mouths.. maybe a tad more resistance but not enough to cause any major issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It isn't a problem. Don't overthink it.
    "Never forget those who have died; Never forget who killed them."
    -Unknown

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by freebug View Post
    This is completely normal. The 300blk case when ejected does a 180 can causes it to hit the deflector on the neck. The 5.5.6 being longer does not do enough rotation and shouldn't have this happen.
    yes this is why. they all do it.