Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rubber City Armory Bolt Carrier Group

Rubber City Armory is a relative newcomer to the AR15 BCG market. They feature black nitride processing which they claim eliminates the need for lube or oil for the life of the weapon. Some may balk at the claims and price, but keep in mind, Young Manufacting Chrome BCG's and Fail Zero BCG's are similar in price. Pretty bold claims, but I also can't wait to try one out.

Rubber City Armory's Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group is "drop-in ready" for M16/AR15 weapons. The enhanced features of RCA's Bolt Carrier Group give law enforcement, military and security professionals performance, reliability and the advantage in times of need.

Manufactured to meet and exceed DoD MiL-Spec 961 standards, our Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group is designed to provide tens of thousands of rounds of reliable performance.

Blacknitride processing and polymeric adsorption increase wear properties, steel strength and increase the life of all treated components.

Each Rubber City Armory Bolt Carrier Group Includes:

• Complete Bolt
    ◦Machined from Carpenter 158 Steel
    ◦Shot peened
    ◦Batch MPI inspected
    • Retaining Pin
    • Carrier with Staked Gas Key
    ◦Machined from 8620 Steel
    • Firing Pin
    • Cam Pin

Rubber City Armory
    1344 Kenmore Blvd.
    Akron, Ohio 44314
    info@rubbercityarmory.com
    330-794-7304

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not really mil-spec if it's not HPT as I understand it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I may get one just to run it through the trials and with no lube. Just to see how long it will run.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a fairly lengthy thread on M4C regarding these bolt carrier groups. I'll say up front I don't own one, and have no personal experience, but many people in the M4C thread have purchased them.

My biggest concern is that they haven't been consistent based on the pictures that owners have been posting over the last 6 months. Some come with coated firing pins, some don't, and at one point they changed their staking method, then back again when people complained (although it doesn't appear that the different method was ineffective, rather it simply didn't look like the nice staking from a MOACKS). Additionally, RCA said they were going to stop using forged gas keys at some point, and switch to CNC'd gas keys.

Food for thought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've followed the thread on M4c. I believe the nitride has potential, but it appears the build of the BCG itself is what is in question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have owned every generation of BCG from RCA at this point.

Gen 1: This was the original. It was entirely QPQ minus the firing-pin, and machined just like a regular BCG. Great BCG!
    Gen 2: This happened when RCA had to change machine services, and it came with some improvements (radiused lugs, some had billet gas-keys and QPQ FP's), but also some quirks (sticking FP channel, top-staking).
    Gen 3: This is the current generation. It is correctly side-staked, has a billet gas-key (really, it's a non-load bearing component. As long as the hardness is there, and it is, it's G2G), QPQ FPP, and radiused lugs, also the ID of the FP channel was addressed. It's a great BCG.

I recommend, as with all BCG's, that they be generously lubed, and that the extractor spring be replaced with the "gold" spring from Colt, currently back-orderable through Brownells (Mine took about 3 weeks last time).
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod4840.aspx
    An O-ring is not required.

To date, I have only put about 4-500 rounds through the BCG's. No failures of any kind resulted. Things I noted were:

I had a new Daniel Defense rifle (middy 16"), and 2 new PSA uppers (Middy 16"), which I gave to friends. All rifles got about 200-250 rounds through them, while my DD got about 300-350, during some range-time. They were using the RCA BCG's I gave them, and I was using the OEM DD BCG.

-Cam-pin wear: The DD developed a ridge that could be grasped with a fingernail, and some peening. The RCA QPQ Cam-pins wore some of the color off, but retained dimensions.
    -BCG wear: All BCG's showed some "polishing" on the sides of the gas-key and the rails.
    -Clean-up: We ran them wet with Rand CLP, the bolt tail on all needed scraping for a white-glove cleaning (which I don't recommend, but wanted to test how easy it was with the QPQ), and was slightly easier on the RCA's. No other differences were noted as they wiped clean with microfiber.
    -Bolt-lug wear: Much more polishing was evident with the BCG bolt lugs, even on day 1, were it only saw about 200 rounds, so as to equally compare round-counts.

No other anomalies good or bad were noted. All rifles functioned 100% except for: 1 of my friends failed to fully seat a magazine and dropped the hammer on an empty chamber. One of my friends induced a double-feed by babying the CH forward, then chambering another round when I corrected the action, before I could assist. They are both new to the M4 platform, and I was doing my best to teach and instruct as best I could. We zeroed, then did some VTAC 1-5 type drills, modified to include a reload, and for the public range's rules (very limited on staying behind a line, and not taking up more than 2 lanes, lucky we got that many, but it wasn't that populated).

Downloads
    Uploads
    How well does the RCA stuff work when shot suppressed? Does the treatment provide good lubricity even with the added fouling?

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 4

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also has anyone contacted RCA to see if they'll treat an existing carrier?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just received my RCA bolt and carrier and the bolt is too long to fit into the barrel extension. The bolt will fit but then binds up once it starts to cam over into the locked position. I tried it in two different rifles with the same results. Taking the RCA bolt out and swapping it with the bolts from the two rifles worked but I'd like to get a replacement from RCA since the nitride treatment is part of the package.

I sent them a note via their Facebook page. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    I just received my RCA bolt and carrier and the bolt is too long to fit into the barrel extension. The bolt will fit but then binds up once it starts to cam over into the locked position. I tried it in two different rifles with the same results. Taking the RCA bolt out and swapping it with the bolts from the two rifles worked but I'd like to get a replacement from RCA since the nitride treatment is part of the package.

I sent them a note via their Facebook page. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Keep us updated, RCA seems to be hit and miss with product quality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Keep us updated, RCA seems to be hit and miss with product quality.
    Will do. Was really looking forward to testing the new bolt and carrier out this morning too. :-(

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mr. Cerino replied. He says to mail it back ASAP. I'll update once I've got the parts back from RCA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mr Cerino sent the BCG back with this note.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Mr Cerino sent the BCG back with this note.

Wtf....