Downloads
    Uploads

ATI Polymer lower with Zinc insert

This is interesting. ATI is making a Polymer lower with a Zinc insert in the buffer tower for increased strength.

I've done a lot of testing with plastic and poly lowers and this is always where they break, so I am intrigued:

ATI Omni Hybrid Multi-Cal lower receiver

Link to article on Guns.com

At only $50 each, they are quite affordable. At the very least, this might make a nice lightweight dedicated .22lr receiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it'd be almost worth the money to buy a LPK, grip and stock, and use one of the uppers off one of my other rifles and shoot thousands of rounds through one, just to see for myself. I remember when Glocks hit the market, everyone was betting a polymer gun would be a short term "throw away" piece with little or no long term utility. Since some of the military's hard core crazy tough gear, such as fighter aircraft, and a lot more are made in great part of some type of polymer or another, I'd really like to know if a polymer lower would be a great idea, or a waste of money. That would be one expensive experiment though. I guess I'll have to wait for someone else to do it.

FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm on the fence of buying a couple of these myself.

Posted while my co-worker is getting electrocuted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would still rather have PSA Blem lowers for $59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBL View Post
    I would still rather have PSA Blem lowers for $59.
    Of course, for any serious application you would not use a polymer lower. However for a cheap, lightweight range plinker, why not?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Of course, for any serious application you would not use a polymer lower. However for a cheap, lightweight range plinker, why not?
    MoxyD. I wouldn't discount or relegate a polymer lower to a cheap range plinker too quickly. Depends on the polymer being used in the lower, especially used in conjunction with a zinc metal insert. Would I bet my life on one right now? No. But the possibility exists that these things will be the M4's cousin to a Glock in a few years. Omni should build about 10 and pass them out to respected pro's in the AR community, along with 10K of ammo and some incentive to run that ammo through them. Give them a "Glock like" torture test, etc..then, if all goes well take them back to the QC lab, and check all dimensions, Xray the stripped lowers to determine dimensional integrity (no stretching, etc..). I'd really like to see the results. Might be a bust, or the next big think in AR's, and similar weapons.

You never know, huh?

FT