Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Changed to dark red.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ratfink57 View Post
    I would suggest you keep the barrel length down to 14.5" with pinned flash hider if you go the carbine route. If you want a 16", get a middy. Just buy a good one(LMT, Noveske, Colt) Just to name a few, but of those three Noveske is the only one that makes a 16" middy. If you must have a 16" CAR, you'll probably have the best luck with a LMT or Colt. But don't come back crying about stuck cases...you have been warned.

Now I wait for all the 16" CAR owners to chime in about how reliable theirs are...Yes I know, I had a Colt way back when that had no problems but, if there is a weak spot like maybe a slightly short chamber, heavy spot in the chambers chrome lining, weak springs ect.. it will cause failures to extract, eject and/or feed much sooner than it would with a lower p.s.i. gas system(longer gas tube or shorter barrel).
    looking to get a 16" barrel.

i'm no expert but i would think that if cases were more prone to getting stuck in carbines the military wouldn't be issuing so many. in fact, i literally cannot find one complaint about the noveske rifles in carbine or middy. haven't read anything about them on cases getting stuck. i have read some minor issues with the LMTs, mostly QC issues if i remember right.
    Last edited by mat10x; 29 July 2008 at 05:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Glad to be of help.

ETA- Is that red hard to read, or is it just my eyes?

stickman,

thx for answering my questions in detail. appreciate it.

both noveske and LMT sounds like great rifles. i guess at this point i need to decide if i want to spend $1500 from my dealer for the Noveske (extra $100 for addition of SOPMOD stock) or $1250 for a standard 16" LMT.

realistically i probably won't be shooting thousands of rounds per month, so not sure if i "need" the cold hammer forged barrel. not bad to have one though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mat10x View Post
    looking to get a 16" barrel.

i'm no expert but i would think that if cases were more prone to getting stuck in carbines the military wouldn't be issuing so many. in fact, i literally cannot find one complaint about the noveske rifles in carbine or middy. haven't read anything about them on cases getting stuck. i have read some minor issues with the LMTs, mostly QC issues if i remember right.
    Don't miss-read what I said...

The military (and Noveske N4 carbine)uses 14.5" barrels not 16". An inch and a half makes a differance.

I said the CAR gas system works best with barrels that are 14.5 or less. 16s are better with a Mid-length gas system. Evan a problematic 16" CAR can be made to work well, but if your buying a new rifle and it has to be a 16"er then the Noveske N4 16 is the best option.
    Last edited by ratfink57; 29 July 2008 at 17:56. Reason: Gramerer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ratfink57 View Post
    Don't miss-read what I said...

The military (and Noveske N4 carbine)uses 14.5" barrels not 16". An inch and a half makes a differance.

I said the CAR gas system works best with barrels that are 14.5 or less. 16s are better with a Mid-length gas system. Evan a problematic 16" CAR can be made to work well, but if your buying a new rifle and it has to be a 16"er then the Noveske N4 16 is the best option.
    good call. didn't notice that the N4s don't come in 16" car. yeah, my understanding was 14.5 (or less) was made for car length. 16" was best with mid. i just hadn't read much about cases getting stuck with carbines.

my understanding is that the 16" is better for a general purpose rifle, which is why i'm looking at 16 rather than 14.5.

thx.

klbrush3 Guest
    good point. i've wondered...is the 1.5" in extra maneuverability you get from a 14.5" car really worth it? compared to the "all-aroundness" of a 16" middy?

i really like the 14.5" carbines but it seems like the cost/benefit is much better on a 16" weapon...

Downloads
    Uploads
    both noveske and LMT sounds like great rifles. i guess at this point i need to decide if i want to spend $1500 from my dealer for the Noveske (extra $100 for addition of SOPMOD stock) or $1250 for a standard 16" LMT.

realistically i probably won't be shooting thousands of rounds per month, so not sure if i "need" the cold hammer forged barrel. not bad to have one though.
    Reading this thread brought back memories of my recent first AR acquistion. I really liked what I saw in the Noveske, but made similar judgements to what you expressed above. Except I was debating between a $900 ($800 after rebate) S&W M&P15A and an N4 Light Carbine. I had already decided that between the Colt, LMT and Noveske, that the price difference was so small between them that the N4 was the way to go. But my decision was about a gun nearly half the price of the N4. I remember saying that since I wouldn't shoot it that much the N4 would be wasted on me.

I got the 15A in April. I am not knocking it - it is a great gun for the money (remember, it only cost me $800 after the rebate). It has a carbine gas systen with a 16" barrel, BTW, and it ran flawlessly while I had it. But I just couldn't get the N4 out of my mind. So 10 days ago I bought a N4 Light Carbine and sold my 15A yesterday.

My advice - for a couple of hundred dollars difference between the LMT and and N4, just go ahead and get the N4 and don't look back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah i think i'm pretty much sold on the N4 recce. i've never regretted paying extra for top notch products. the only thing i've been wondering on are the feed ramps. very shallow on the Noveskes. haven't read any complaints though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the only thing i've been wondering on are the feed ramps. very shallow on the Noveskes. haven't read any complaints though.
    They don't need to be deep to work.