Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I can change an upper in seconds.
    Exactly.

Even though I still can't come up with a reason I'd want a 300 wtf
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crisis diverted.

LMT does make a 300 black out barrel in 10.5 and 16 inch lengths.

Rob_s

Maybe the 308 calibers are a bad idea for you but..... Me, i live in a cold wet place and winters are long. I get about as much satisfaction out of reloading as i do shooting so..... Why not have a new caliber that is ultra time consuming and a pain in the ass?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by aklaunch View Post
    Crisis diverted.

LMT does make a 300 black out barrel in 10.5 and 16 inch lengths.

Rob_s

Maybe the 308 calibers are a bad idea for you but..... Me, i live in a cold wet place and winters are long. I get about as much satisfaction out of reloading as i do shooting so..... Why not have a new caliber that is ultra time consuming and a pain in the ass?

I own 2 LMT MRP uppers, and they are extremely well made. However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder what the appeal is for a "quick" change barrel. For me it's about as useful as "fast attach" suppressors after you've shot 500 rounds. There is nothing fast about changing either.

Anyhow, I think rob was speaking about what does 300 do for him that he's not getting with other existing calibers? 300 is great if you're running suppressed with a short barrel. The interchangeable/interoperable parts with existing AR15 platforms is also a plus. However, Other than those reason and hunting with it in states where you need at least a 30 caliber, the appeal so far has been limited.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One advantage of a quick change barrel is that you can keep the same optic on the upper. In reality, you have to re-zero, so it is not really a benefit.

And even if it is the same price, the parts are still proprietary, which I consider a negative. Now in 308 - there is no standard gun design, so then it is more of who has the nicest rifle with the best features.

As for why someone would want a 300 - well, there are many.

1 - It is not legal to deer hunt with smaller calibers in many states.

2 - It expands to 0.500 caliber at 300 yards from even a 9 inch barrel. There is no 5.56mm bullet which comes close to that.

3 - It has much better barrier-blind performance than 5.56mm - especially against auto glass.

4 - There are people who just like bigger bullets. For example, people like 45 Auto over 9mm. Going from 9mm up to 45 Auto is a 60.7% gain in area. Going from 5.56mm to 30 cal is an 89.1% gain in area.

5 - It is said that energy does not kill, but just for the sake of information, 300 BLK has as much energy from a 16 inch barrel as 5.56mm does from a 24 inch barrel.

6 - It has much less flash/blast from an short barrel due to a higher efficiency.

7 - It has 1/2 as much cyclic rate gain between unsuppressed and suppressed as 5.56mm - making it more reliable when suppressed. This smaller change is why Noveske does not need to make a 300 switchblock.

8 - It can shoot subsonic for quieter operation and still cycle, even without any adjustments.

9 - For people who just want an alternative caliber, this is one of the few which uses normal 5.56mm bolts and magazines, and retains full magazine capacity.