Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lefty AR-15

Downloads
    Uploads

Lefty AR-15

Hey all, new here. Joined up for stick's giveaway and have been lurking around taking it all in. Lots of good people and info here.

I'm a little new to the AR-15 game, I've always been more focused on long range shooting, primarily with .308 and .338 lapua. My brother in law is a AR-15 buff and I have enjoyed getting to know his guns. Awhile back I won a DSA multi-caliber lower in a local raffle and have been wanting to build it. I shoot left handed as I am left eye dominant. I have spent my life fairly comfortable with right hand guns, but figure since I have a chance to build a gun for me, why not make it left handed? Who makes good left handed uppers, a local shop here told me stag makes some, which I have looked into. I was wondering if there were others and/or any pros and cons about them.

Sorry for the winded dissertation, but thanks for any advice/help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also am curious if Stag is the only lefty maker . I'm waiting on a Saker 7.62 and have been wondering if i was gonna be running into gassing issues as I shoot lefty ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now if I could find a tin or nib lefty bolt

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm lefty, and I cannot stand LH uppers. I had a stag and I hated it. There is no good reason to get one, and you are generally stuck with lesser quality components that cost more. All a lefty needs to do is make sure the upper has a brass deflector and then add an ambi charging handle. BCM is having one of the best sales ever on their uppers and their quality is some of the best in the industry, and I would run a BCM every time over the lefty upper available.

As far as gas to the face use the RTV silicone treatment and that will help immensely. Also 7.62 cans do not generate as much backpressure as 5.56 cans when shooting 5.56, my Girffin Armament Recce 7 is easy to shoot on my 5.56 rifles. Another option over the Saker is look at the OSS suppressors, they almost completely eliminate backpressure and gas to the face, I was amazed when I shot them.

And then the third option is to look at a piston rifle if you are going to run suppressed the majority of the time. I personally do not care for piston uppers but they do run better than DI gun suppressed and have less gas to the face. PWS would be my first choice, but you will spend more on a piston than a DI.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spikes Tactical makes a left handed upper receiver AND a left handed BCG so that the cartridges will eject on the other side. For the rest you install ambidextrous controls in the lower reciever - ambi mag release (Troy makes one - so do a couple other companies), ambi safety, extended bolt catch release and an ambi charging handle. Bingo. Lefty AR :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    I'm lefty, and I cannot stand LH uppers. I had a stag and I hated it. There is no good reason to get one, and you are generally stuck with lesser quality components that cost more. All a lefty needs to do is make sure the upper has a brass deflector and then add an ambi charging handle.
    This has been my hesitation on getting a lefty upper as I'm concerned about the quality of components compared to what I currently run , also Ive run regular rifles my entire life and it hasn't really been a problem and I've adapted but wouldn't mind trying a lefty if it was up to my snobbish standards

Downloads
    Uploads
    I too have questioned quality as well as the premium price you pay for 'specialty' parts. Like I said I am used to right handed guns, since its about all I have ever handled. At the very minimum I'm going with an ambi safety. It's annoying changing hands just to flick the safety on and off. But I do intend to have ambi parts throughout the lower.

I appreciate the input and will spend more time researching what you all said when I'm more awake. It seems every time I start looking into stuff I unearth more 'new' ideas and input. Possibilities are endless for sure...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a lefty, and my first AR was a Stag 2l+. I think Stag makes a pretty good product. I don't run it hard, but I've had no problems. When I was shopping around, it came between the Stag and the Rock River Lef-T. I chose the stag since I can replace just about everything, except the BCG and upper. I'm presently awaiting a San Tan Tactical STT-15 lower to get more left handed goodness, but it Will actually turn into a complete new build. I've been looking at alternative uppers, and am. It having much luck. Black Rain Ordinance made one, but I can't find it stock. All,of my other rifles are lefty Savages.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a lefty rifle shooter, I've never really had much interest in left handed uppers. The cons of this setup of course are the proprietary bolt, BCG, and upper. Normally, these parts are also a premium cost over standard uppers. The market is pretty limited as well. Other than Stag for the most part, not a lot of others are producing left handed uppers in quantity.

However, I do a lot of suppressed shooting, so less gas in the face is ALWAYS a challenge for the left handed rifle shooter. I still never showed much interest in the left hand upper platform, but I am a big CMT Tactical fan. When CMT announced they were producing a small batch of LH uppers around Mid-Nov my interest has been piqued.

If this was my only 1 or 2 uppers, I probably wouldn't get an upper that needed proprietary parts. If this is like your 4 or 5th or 100th, then yeah, nothing wrong with a fun build, customized for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 to what UWone so succinctly points out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What upper is that ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    I too have questioned quality as well as the premium price you pay for 'specialty' parts. Like I said I am used to right handed guns, since its about all I have ever handled. At the very minimum I'm going with an ambi safety. It's annoying changing hands just to flick the safety on and off. But I do intend to have ambi parts throughout the lower.

I appreciate the input and will spend more time researching what you all said when I'm more awake. It seems every time I start looking into stuff I unearth more 'new' ideas and input. Possibilities are endless for sure...
    I forgot to mention ambi parts on the lower. All of my rifles have a BAD-ASS ST ambi selector, a KAC ambi mag release, and I've had all except my KAC lower milled for the PDQ ambi bolt catch from Aero.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    What upper is that ?
    CMT Tactical.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://lefthandrifles.com/ I've never seen one of these, but they seem to have an impressive pedigree.