Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Most of the fun is the build. I don't hate Spikes, I have never done business with them. I have seen how people that represent Spikes have acted on other forums and that persuades me from doing business with them. If I can't find it anywhere else I will get it from them.

Now my problems with out of the box uppers is in the end I'm gonna end up stripping it down to put what I want on it. Low profile GB, 13-14" rail, muzzle device. It just seems more economic to build it plus I enjoy the build. The bolt will be the hard item to find. But like I said its a $50 a paycheck project to keep me occupied through this coming winter.
    This is why I won't deal with the classy people at Spikes

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/6...e__179_00.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife and I decided to just get 2 M&P 15-22's for the girls this year. So this build is all for me!
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI, it looks like AIM just got 7n6 in stock for a decent price (I think it's an "as the panic was starting" price). Looks like SGAmmo is getting some next week for a dollar or two less.

One thing to take note about shooting this stuff at competitions or classes... If you're shooting steel and they're not using AR-500 or similar steel, you could poke through targets or chain. Some people think that even AR-500 won't take it, but I can assure you it does, though it will pock mark plates over time. Just a FYI in case you run into one of those ranges and/or RSOs that know everything about nothing (as opposed to me that knows nothing about everything).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. I found some of the good ammo for .20 cents a round that is still cheaper than 5.56 at the moment. The wife told me to start a spreadsheet up and list and link the individual parts. So this I what that spreadsheet looks like: Bank Account Cries

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Nice. I found some of the good ammo for .20 cents a round that is still cheaper than 5.56 at the moment. The wife told me to start a spreadsheet up and list and link the individual parts. So this I what that spreadsheet looks like: Bank Account Cries
    Did you purchase the Vortex for the last build yet? I just picked one up, and I'm pretty impressed with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Did you purchase the Vortex for the last build yet? I just picked one up, and I'm pretty impressed with it.
    Mamma said she wanted it for Christmas so that is probably when I am going to pick it up. She doesn't like my SPARC at all
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    7n6 5.45 $360 at AIM Surplus...free shipping. Comes out to 16.6 cents/round. Just thought I'd let you know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    7n6 5.45 $360 at AIM Surplus...free shipping. Comes out to 16.6 cents/round. Just thought I'd let you know.
    moving into a bigger house on the 1st so funds are on shutdown like the US Government
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copy all. I have a PCS coming up and a new fiancee, so I get the shortage of funds. Just thought I'd give the heads up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe not helpful to computalotapus now, but FYI for everyone else...

AIM now has their 5.45 barrels out (apparently everyone wants 10.5" versions): http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as....45X39+Barrels

...and their 5.45 bolts, which for some reason, I can't find on their site now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Maybe not helpful to computalotapus now, but FYI for everyone else...

AIM now has their 5.45 barrels out (apparently everyone wants 10.5" versions): http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as....45X39+Barrels

...and their 5.45 bolts, which for some reason, I can't find on their site now.
    I have my hands full building my 2-Gun rifle and a .308 rifle right now. I still want a 5.45 down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have experience with the Liberty Leonidas? A one stamp rifle.....reasonably priced!

Downloads
    Uploads
    With 7n6 looking like it's no longer in play, I'm thinking the allure of a 5.45 AR will go away since you can buy commercial 5.45 for nearly the same price as 5.56. That said, figured I'd share this for those that may be interested...

The big problem everyone seems to have is a reliable feeding magazine. Some people swear by ASC or the other one (I'm forgetting the name at the moment). Some people have either mixed results with those two or they don't work at all. Out of 5 ASC mags I bought, 2 seem to work correctly. There was a fix for a while, but that dried up some time ago when Andrew Tuohy stopped making fixed followers.

Then there's those that start playing with PMAGs to make them work. While I was in CA, I didn't really have an issue because a PMAG will work fine with 10-12 rounds and since I "always" ran 10 round blocked mags, I was golden. Now that I can run larger mags, I was looking for a more surefire solution. While some of the info in the link below isn't new, this is a pretty good one-stop shop for how to convert a PMAG with some extra fine-tuning:

http://wap.ak47.net/forums/t_3_121/638067_.html

Today I went out to the range and brought 3 PMAGs (and an "unknown" ASC mag) after modifying the PMAG followers per the thread above. Two of the followers were cut with the slope on the bottom of the follower like the guy suggests. One was cut straight at the bottom (on the front of the follower). All three had the taper put in on the "upper forward" portion he describes.

Not only did I discover I have a second ASC mag that works (hurray!), but all three PMAGs ran 100%. I ran each one twice (with greater than 20 rounds, usually 27-28 rounds) and the only issue I had was one didn't catch the bolt when empty the first time. The second time it worked. So now I have 5 working mags and an easy way to make more for the plethora of 5.45 I have on hand.

Maybe this is old news for some, but it was helpful fine-tuning for me so figured I'd pass it along. No I can continue to train at 16.5 cents per round and not worry about constant feed issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting