Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sneak Peak Gear Sector Handguards

Not much is known about the new Gear Sector Handguards/Rails, but I do know they have been working on them for awhile. Gear Sector released a sneak preview of them on their Facebook page earlier last week. It appears to have a proprietary barrel nut, and anti-rotational tabs. Torx screws appear to secure the rail to the nut. Standard Picatinny Rails are along the top, but slotted openings are on the rest of the octagonal shaped rail. If you look closely at the picture, the rails appear to be marked as 7" and 9" versions respectively.

Hopefully Jason Trusty will give us a little more information if he sees this post. If it's like everything else that Gear Sector produces, I'm sure it'll be of the highest quality and function. Can't wait to see more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm surprised the slots are not key mod style.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had much the same thought with respect to KeyMod, though given Gear Sector's history of innovation, I would expect that this system will be supported by a line of related Gear Sector add-on components. Definitely like what little we can see so far, even if it seems to chart a course that is different than some of the latest trends.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't divulge too much at this point, but I will say that the geometry is not octagonal.

It is 3/4 round with 2 45 degree flats at 1:00 and 11:00 o'clock ( ideal location of light mounts - hint hint ). Or if you shoot a rifle like me ( 2 thumbs forward - like a pistol ), its a fantastic reference location.

It is a proprietary barrel nut. However, it does not require indexing your gas tube. It does require indexing TDC for rail alignment. Barrel nut wrench will be included.

With regard to Keymod, we have never been one to follow trend and this case is no different. I am personally not a fan of the Keymod system. It affords very little deviation in the way of creativity & aesthetics. We attempt to design parts that are completely functional and aesthetically pleasing with improved usability and ergonomics.

What we wanted to achieve was simply not possible while following the Keymod specification.

That said, the ovoid slots in our system will allow for ( and we are developing ) a complete line of direct attach accessories. As an added bonus, any of our direct attach accessories will also fit DD MFR rails.

More information will be forthcoming...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrusty View Post
    It is a proprietary barrel nut. However, it does not require indexing your gas tube. It does require indexing TDC for rail alignment. Barrel nut wrench will be included.
    PERFECT! Can't wait to check this rail out and thanks for the info Jason.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jason,

Can you release information about the lengths they will be available in?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Waiting to see more with bated breath.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very much looking forward to the supporting direct-attach stuff, as well. It's apparent that a great deal of thought has gone into this. Looks great so far.

Maybe the loss of another open contender in the KeyMod sector isn't going to prove such a big deal, after all. :)

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice! Looking forward to more details.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This look fantastic. I cannot wait to hear/ see more of this!! Nice Job Jason.

SOS

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it comes in a 13-15" version I think I found the rail that is going on my next build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    If it comes in a 13-15" version I think I found the rail that is going on my next build
    This.

I'd love to purchase a rail for one of my current projects if it's in the 13.5-15" range. Not sure what the time line on these are, but I'm sure I'll need another rail whenever they are ready. The thought of a whole line of Gear Sector mounts for this rail makes it a winner already in my book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only way I'm inerested in a Brazillian handguard is if there is a non-picatiny-attached VFG available as well as a way to attach thermal insulation without adding rails back on.

To date, none of the Brazillian tubes I've seen have done a good job of heat dissipation/insulation and all require me to add a rail to add a VFG, which kind of seems to defeat the point.

Until a handguard manufacturer comes up with a way to address the issue of tolerance stacking and the affect it has on centering (or, more correctly, NOT centering) the barrel in the tube I'm not interested in any handguard over 12".
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The only way I'm inerested in a Brazillian handguard is if there is a non-picatiny-attached VFG available as well as a way to attach thermal insulation without adding rails back on.

To date, none of the Brazillian tubes I've seen have done a good job of heat dissipation/insulation and all require me to add a rail to add a VFG, which kind of seems to defeat the point.

Until a handguard manufacturer comes up with a way to address the issue of tolerance stacking and the affect it has on centering (or, more correctly, NOT centering) the barrel in the tube I'm not interested in any handguard over 12".
    Rob this got me thinking. I actually have something sketched up that I'm going to take to a design guy and print it out on a 3d printer to mock it up on my rifle
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only way I'm inerested in a Brazillian handguard is if there is a non-picatiny-attached VFG available
    Rob, we have a direct attach VFG already completed. It will go into production with the new tubes.