Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where the heck are the Magpul 25 rounders???

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot the new Ruger off the bench this morning. I went out a bit early hoping to beat the winds but to no avail. I took along some Winchester 180gr Power Point and some Hornady 168gr A-MAX stuff but, given the winds, I decided to just stick with Tula FMJ. I didn't see much point in shooting the good stuff with the gusting winds.

First off, the Aimpoint 2moa dot and 3x magnifier might be a good option for shooting agg felons or Jihadists but the combo isn't the best for precision bench work. Still, the pair has some merit and I didn't really feel limited by the optics.

The rifle seems to have potential and the Tula really shot fairly well. Hopefully I'll have a calm day here in the next week or so and I'll try again.

Here's what I've got so far. These are my 100yd targets. The target pasters are 1" in diameter.

Here's my best group. Not too shabby!

Unless of course you factor in this nasty called flier... Damn!

Here are my two 200yd targets. These are 4" diameter bulls.

Not bad at all for ammo that's probably some of the least consistent stuff out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    An even better test point than the groups you got with the Tula is the fact that the rifle runs Tula with no issues. . .lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    The gun cycles & locks open properly on Setting #2 with Tula. I suppose I should try the other settings to see what that does. I have run a few rounds on the small setting with my suppressor attached but not without.

I think I'll pull my inexpensive Redfield 3-9x42 off a 223 next time out and see what some 9x magnification does to group size.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have just completed the IALEFI master instructor development course in Las Vegas, NV. The course was hosted by the Las Vegas Metro Police Department and was held at the John T. Moran Range. The course was taught by Ken Hardesty, Mike Boyle and John Marrs.

Most of the course focused on handgun skills and since this was more of an instructor course than a shooting course, round count wasn't terribly high. In two days we ran through about 600 rounds of handgun ammo. We shot our rifles yesterday and I put just south of 250 rounds through the Ruger SR-762. Ammo used was a mix of Wolf polymer, Winchester White Box and XM80. I had planned on running the gun with some S&B corrosive surplus but I think I'll save that for another day.

The rifle ran just fine and I had no problems with the gas setting even when using the different ammunition. In some cases the mags were loaded with a mix of steel and brass. There were no malfunctions of any type.

The gun is fun to shoot and I enjoyed using it. Even though the gun doesn't kick, per se, it does tend to push me around put I wasn't handicapped by my choice of rifle.

Overall, I am pleased with what Ruger has done. They've got one of the lightest (maybe the lightest) piston 308's on the market. The gun works like an AR only bigger so I was able to use it in the training without conscious effort.

Next I think I'll pick up one of the new Redfield 6-18x44mm Battlezone scopes and an ADM or Larue mount. I have been able to find a few boxes of match ammo and I really need to see what this piece will do with good ammo and magnification.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice shooting, I appreciate threads like this where you keep us up to date on the progress of your rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Nice shooting, I appreciate threads like this where you keep us up to date on the progress of your rifle.
    And I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and post. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another review. This one from retired Border Patrol Agent Ed Head.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/reviewi...-sr-762/26186/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a few more groups from the SR-762 and Redfield scope combo.

This is a Speer 125gr TNT loaded with LC brass and a fairly warm load of Ramshot X-Terminator. I don't have any photos of the groups but the same bullet might shoot just a bit better with 8208. I'll have to play with that powder a little more. This is from 100 yards. Actually the taped group you can see in this same photo is three rounds of XM80 ball. The little NRA logo was my aiming point.

Here is a 200 yard group with Federal 168gr Gold Medal Match.

And another group with GMM after dialing in a bit too much windage. This was the last group of the day.

I have to say I'm not terribly thrilled with the Redfield scope. It renders okay on 12x or so but on the higher magnification the image really gets rather washed out and free of fine detail. I guess that's to be expected with a $200 scope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I am about done with the benchrest stuff. I'll probably soon pull the Redfield and go back to using the red dot and magnifier.

I shot a few more rounds this morning to include some factory Hornday 155gr match and a handload using Berger 168gr VLD's and IMR 8208 powder. The Bergers seem like they want to shoot and I had one group at 200 yards that was just a smidgen over two inches but these rounds didn't always feed so I had to load them into the chamber one at a time. The rounds are hitting just a bit below the chamber's mouth and I had a couple rounds get deformed pretty badly to include one with a bullet pushed clear inside the case. This could be a magazine related problem but I think it is more likely due to the Berger's ogive. I might have to give some of their "tactical" bullets a try if I can find some.

Otherwise, the gun seems to run and feed fine with JHP, FMJ and SP stuff. Ammo that it likes shoots around 1.5 moa. Ball and "off the shelf" stuff running 2 moa or a bit over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To update it looks like these guns were most likely built and spec'ed around DPMS and/or Gen2 Magpul magazines. There have been numerous reports about failures to feed with the new Gen3 PMAG's. Ruger is aware of the problem and has made modifications to the product so it should now function with metal or plastic mags from any source.

I have not tried my rifle with anything other than Gen2 and Gen3 PMAG's. While the gun does seem to run fine, expect as noted with the Berger hand loads, it doesn't like the Gen3's. I don't know exactly what dimensions have been changed from one generation of magazine to the next but using Gen3 mags in the rifle will result in a bolt over base failure to feed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the above noted, I do see that the magazine does seem to sit a little low in the rifle. Even though it does feed, the rounds sit low in relation to the chamber. During the feeding cycle, ammunition tends to strike low at the bottom of the chamber. Ball and polymer tipped bullets don't seem to be affected by this but BTHP bullets will show a slight deformation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This has been a great thread. My rifle so far has been 100 percent, but is of recent manufacture and shipped with Gen 3's. About 1.5 moa with the "good stuff" and 2.5 moa to "where the hell did that round go?" With cheap stuff. I have settled on the Remington 150 gr corelokt as a factory round, will work with hand loads around something like the Nosler Accubond when I get around to it. Overall I am very pleased with the rifle and will be more so when I replace the trigger and get a scope with more light on it.