Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gear's all packed. Tomorrow starts a four day TMACS carbine and pistol course. I'll use the Ruger unless I encounter gun problems or there's a specific drill that calls for 30 rounds. I'll let y'all know how the SR-762 does.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got done cleaning my gear and checking my equipment. The class is going well and I've got three days ahead so I don't want to get lazy and miss something that some basic maintenance would have prevented.

Today was basics and fundamentals. We spent the morning on the rifle and the afternoon on the handgun. We started out by sighting in at 50 and checked zeros at 100. We also worked on a few positional drills at 100, 75, 50 and 25 yards. With the pistol we shot all the way back to 50 but most of the afternoon was spent around 15 yards. We worked a number of drills to include quite a bit of right- and left-hand only.

Since we were working BRM, total rifle rounds fired was 100. I had no problems with the SR-762 shooting a mix of XM80 and Tula ball. I fired several mags from the prone with the rifle resting on the magazine.

The gun's a bit heavy and the recoil, while not severe, is certainly more than I'm accustomed to. It will be interesting to see how I do when we start shooting against the timer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm back home after Day Two of my TMACS class. Today was somewhat of a flip-flop of yesterday with us running pistols in the morning and rifles all afternoon.

For pistol Mac ran us through a fast drill then a slow precision drill followed by a speed drill and a precision drill. I think this was a good way of helping us find our limits and push ourselves but was also a way to keep us in check and help us remember the basics at the same time.

After lunch we pulled out the rifles and repeated the positional drill we shot yesterday. This was five rounds prone at 100, five rounds sitting at 75, five founds kneeling at 50 and five rounds standing at 25. We shot this for score and then went into something called "Light the Fuse." This was a timed event and shooters were required to shoot 5 rounds from 100, 75, 50 and 25 yards. Shooters then performed an empty gun reload and shot again going from 25 and on back up to 100. Total rounds fired was 40 and time stopped when the shooter returned and finished off the 100 yard line. We shot this once for practice and once as a "championship."

Total rounds through the Ruger today was 180. I did have a short stroke today while shooting prone. I felt the gun short stroke but pulled the trigger anyway. I got a click and racked a round into the chamber and had no further problems. The gun cycled enough to eject but not enough to strip another round. Was it an ammo problem or a mag issue? The short stroke happened when I was in the prone and I was putting a pretty good amount of pressure on the mag. Regardless of the cause, I didn't dwell on it too much and shooting prone while resting on the mag didn't cause any other issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm getting ready for the final day of class. I should actually be pushing a patch down the barrel and running a chamber brush in just to be safe but the Ruger's running fine and probably doesn't need anything other than more ammo.

I got home a little late last night with our day spent working the afternoon and into darkness. We started our class with some reload and transition drills. We fired three rounds, reloaded and fired three more followed by a transition to pistols. We worked this awhile until Mr McNamara thought we were ready. We then did the same exercise but anyone who pulled a shot or was the last one to fire stepped off the line. We continued on until only one shooter remained.

Next came cars and barricades at fifty yards. We worked different points of concealment and shot from various standing and prone positions. Mags weren't fully loaded to force shooters into performing reloads or pistol transitions so we could reinforce what we'd worked earlier. I did have a stovepipe malfunction somewhere along in here when I partially obstructed the ejection port on my rifle. I had switched over to my support side shoulder and blocked the port a little with my right arm. Let me tell you; 308 brass is HOT coming straight out of the chamber!

We broke for evening chow and then worked our pistols on steel using our night sights and flashlights. We then went back to the 50 yard line and worked some of our evening drills again but in from the cover of darkness.

I'm not certain of my round count now. I had been keeping track previously by how many mags I had empty at the end of the day. Loading mags to five rounds and loading out of a pants pocket threw that method out the window. But I'm guessing I probably went through 250 rounds of 308 yesterday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    iv been doing some shooting with my ruger 762 and gotten extremely good results. 168 smk, with 4895 powder.

100 yard 5 shot groups.

well actually... one group is 6 rounds, and the other is 4 rounds... lol