Garmin Ltd. introduced a new GPS watch aimed squarely at the military market named the Tactix. According to the outstanding triathlete, running, cycling, swimming gear review site, DC Rainmaker, the Tactix takes the outdoor oriented Garmin Fenix GPS watch and adds significant updates to its "hardware" and software thus creating the Tactix.

In summary, the tactix has the following features according to Garmin's press release:

"...altimeter, barometer, 3-axis compass, and extensive tracking capabilities for precise navigation in the field. tactix is waterproof to 50 meters, and can run up to 50 hours in GPS mode on one charge. It comes preloaded with tide data (U.S. units only) and Jumpmaster software, which could prove invaluable for amphibious and airborne operations. It has a stealth, matte black design with a curved lens and green backlight, so it won't flare out with night vision devices or compromise the user's position. tactix can withstand even the most extreme elements and situations, but is sleek enough to be worn as an everyday timepiece."

The feature pivoting this watch towards the military, specifically airborne and/or special operations communities, are the Jumpmaster (HALO/HAHO/static) mode and tide data. While the Jumpmaster mode was in the Foretrex 401, it is now offered in a smaller watch form factor.

The Tactix includes other features common in other GPS watches like ANT+ support to connect to heart rate monitors, cadence footpods and bicycle speed and cadence sensors, and others uncommon to Garmin fitness watches like a magnetic compass, "man overboard" data point, sun/moon rise/set modes, temperature sensor, and ability to connect to the VIRB 1080p camera.

Personally, I will not get one of these as I have a different need for a GPS watch, namely running and cycling. As such, my Garmin Forerunner 410 and 310XT GPS watches serve me well as the Tactix is not optimized for those two fitness activities and are missing features I demand and/or appreciate.

Still, this is a very full featured watch. To truly find that out for yourself, go to the outstanding full review of the Tactix by Ray at DC Rainmaker here. Grab popcorn as you read....its long.

The Tactix is available now via Garmin's website or Amazon for $449.99.

-Photo courtesy of Garmin