Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a FIREClean Promo:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Frog Lube Extreme Cold Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDHf4QwOn9A

There are probably 50 more of these. If your gun freezes up, you might be doing it wrong... I was going to try a test like this using my freezer, but it's been done so many times, I don't see any reason to do it again..

Application: I would suggest Frog Lubes instructions vs. a you tube video. I saw one video where the guy was heating his parts to 250 F in his oven. You don't need a hair dryer, they only recommend the parts be warm, maybe 90 to 100 degrees, but a hair dryer does make it a bit easier.

I use NiB BCG's in all of my weapons. Less viscous lubes just sling most of theirselves off, which I've found to be problematic with lubing NiB since I started using them. When shooting with Frog Lube, if you see "paste" you're definitely doing it wrong.
    I do see the lube "liquefying" as soon as I start using it.

I'm not "selling" Frog Lube here, use whatever floats your boat, but I wouldn't want someone not to try it, because like anything else, when improperly used, it may not function correctly.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    That's what got me looking into FC in the first place, but I also like to get info/opinions from other users as well to confirm things. I've been using Froglube for awhile now, and while I have not had any major issues in the cold, I have noticed it gumming back up into a paste and getting thicker in the cold even tho it's applied as directed - warmed, applied lightly and wiped off. Now that I'm in the suppressor club, I can see that pastiness getting really fouled up more.

Fireclean wasn't in the test, but here's a really cool test a guy did of many different gun lubes
    Last edited by SwissyJim; 13 November 2014 at 12:04.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    That's what got me looking into FC in the first place, but I also like to get info/opinions from other users as well to confirm things. I've been using Froglube for awhile now, and while I have not had any major issues in the cold, I have noticed it gumming back up into a paste and getting thicker in the cold even tho it's applied as directed - warmed, applied lightly and wiped off. Now that I'm in the suppressor club, I can see that pastiness getting really fouled up more.

Fireclean wasn't in the test, but here's a really cool test a guy did of many different gun lubes
    Damn S-Jim, that's about the most comprehensive testing I've ever seen. Guy that did it was either highly motivated, had gobs of spare time, or both... I just skim read it, but found it to be very informative, and a worthwhile read for anyone else who may be interested in some real, tangible, tests, with real data, rather than anecdotal information, or what someone armed with nothing but an opinion might have to say.

I'm impressed with his methodology, and the depth of his testing. Definitely worth a read. The results are revealing, and caused me to lose faith in products that I use, or have used. Thanks for posting that.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where Fireclean pulled ahead for me was when Froglube gummed up after being left on the weapon for a month or two. Also, it breaks down carbon better in my experience, making the weapon feel less "gritty" after shooting a good bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used all three at various times and the only one I saw have issues was frog lube. Living in New England it can get down right cold and I got to see that one the temperature dipped into the negative numbers frog lube started to gum up and slowed down the gun inducing malfunctions. I'm not saying not to use it by any stretch as other then that it worked great but under that specific circumstance it had problems and I wasn't the only one that had that issue. I now run fireclean and like it though slip works well too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My only problem with Fireclean is the price. Slip2000 EWL and FP10 are the 2 I use the most.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig chaser View Post
    Living in New England it can get down right cold and I got to see that one the temperature dipped into the negative numbers frog lube started to gum up and slowed down the gun inducing malfunctions.
    Seems to be the general trend from what I've been reading people say.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Seems to be the general trend from what I've been reading people say.
    I lubed a bolt, with frog lube and put the whole upper in the freezer for two hours. Got it out and it worked just fine.
    In the mil, we were taught that in ECWS to run them dry when temps dropped to -15 or -20F or lower. And seriously, how much of your time are you going to spend in -20 and lower temperatures, shooting? Big game hunters also disassemble the bolts in their rifles when they trudge of into the tundra to hunt extremely cold weather big game, and meticously clean every drop of lube or grease out of the firearm. I would say that damned few people are even equipped, outside of the military and private contractors, to be out more than a few minutes in 30 below weather, much less shoot enough ammo in that weather to worry about running your gun, dry.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slip2000 EWL on everything, keeps it simple.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had a few issues with Frog Lube, albeit was mostly (probably) my issue of having too much on the bolt in -30ºF temps where it gummed up. However, due to its' anti-rust capabilities I have applied it VERY liberally on some spare BCG's in ziplocks stored in my safe - warm and dry. I pulled one out the other day to start prepping it for use in a new 5.56 SBR upper and it was sticky and gummed up - not very slick lubed at all. I was pretty surprised to be honest. I had to totally clean it with denatured alcohol to remove everything, and it'll be lubed with FireClean to test. Was not totally happy about the gumminess of the BCG as far as storage goes - it sat that way for maybe 5 months?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the same experience SwissyJim. My complaint is not that it gummed up, I can kind of expect that. The problem I have is that the FL 'solvent' was completely ineffective. So I had to switch to petroleum based. Which defeats the purpose. My specific problem area was the recoil spring assembly on my AK. And then trigger groups on all my firearms. I finally got around to detail stripping my XD-S and FNX-T... what a mess it was in there.
    Last edited by Aberration79; 15 December 2014 at 21:00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration79 View Post
    I have the same experience SwissyJim. My complaint is not that it gummed up, I can kind of expect that. The problem I have is that the FL 'solvent' was completely ineffective. So I had to switch to petroleum based. Which defeats the purpose. My specific problem area was the recoil spring assembly.
    Can you be more specific? What did you expect the solvent to do that it didn't do. Just curious, have never heard this complaint before. Generally the solvent is used to remove petro-chemicals from the gun, not as a cleaner per se'. Any residual petro chemical will render the organic based CLP useless. Still, for my barrels, I use a good old fashioned copper solvent to make sure I'm getting the copper out about every 5 cleanings or so. Then I use the solvent to remove the solvent. I then run a little Frog CLP on a patch down the barrel a few times until the patch is spotless. These extra steps aren't required or recommended by Frog Lube, just something I do.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I expected the solvent to actually help dissolve the FL. It did absolutely nothing. I kind of know what they said its used for. IMO the product line is incomplete. There is just about no way to get all of the excess FL out. And any excess FL is going to gunk up over time. They need something that is going to help break up the FL.

Or I guess I can just use petro product to do the real cleaning, and then use the solvent to get rid of it... and then reapply the FL.

That just seems like more work than should be necessary.

P.S. Sorry I edited before you replied and screwed up your quote.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://froglube.com/froglube-product...be-directions/

Reading this, it doesn't really say that the solvent is only to remove Petro products. It seems to suggest to use it as you would other solvents.

And specifically;

If you get ‘build-up’ due to lack of cleaning, and you sustain sluggish performance, do a field strip and a generous application of FrogLube Solvent to all parts and spaces. You will find amazing cleaning results and this should normally return the firearm to peak operating performance.
    After long term storage, you should do a field strip, clean and inspect. Reapply the CLP to preference.
    In the event the firearm is over lubricated, do a thorough cleaning with FrogLube Solvent; it will remove excess lubricant in and inside the firearm spaces.
    - See more at: http://froglube.com/froglube-product....VLoiOuWA.dpuf

So this is my complaint. The solvent sucks. :D

I even tried to contact them to find out WTF. I pretty much just got a shrug of the shoulders. I am still using it, just not as enthusiastic as I was before.
    Last edited by Aberration79; 15 December 2014 at 21:14.