Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H buffer

Downloads
    Uploads

H buffer

Is it really necessary for my carbine length system?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on what you do, what your expectations are for the weapon, and ammo that you shoot.

If the sole purpose of the weapon system is to shoot slow fire on a static range, it probably isn't something that will ever make a difference or be noticed. While there are threads that cover the technical aspects of why it delays BCG movement and smooths the gas pulse, the more important thing for me (IMHO) is that an increase in reliability, smoother firing sequence, and allowance for follow up shots is a win-win scenario in my book.

Its also probably worth pointing out that the difference gained is not massive, and many people don't shoot enough to feel the change between a standard and "H" buffer. I know guys who can't feel the difference when I drop in the H3 or 9mm buffer, but thats due to their lack of familiarity with the weapon system in my eyes. Someone dialed in to their weapon feels it pretty quick, and I don't know anyone who hasn't liked the switch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so slowing down the cycling increases the reliability. Good to know.

My primary use is plinking, HD, and any potential SHTF scenario.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slowing down the cycle can be good, but you wouldn't want to go over board. Going with a super heavy buffer, along with an increased power buffer spring can cause problems when shooting lighter/ weaker ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I definitely noticed a difference in perceived recoil with the addition of “H” buffers in my M4gery and my HD carbine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put an H buffer in my M4 and it noticeably slowed my operation down. It smoothed it out and made the cycle not as sharp, especially with the hotter loads.

riverider4741 Guest

Wink The Endine Hydraulic Buffer

I bought the Endine Hydraulic Buffer I read a good write up about it in the G&A Handbook of the AR. Found it at Brownells if I don't like it you can return anything there no questions asked

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...-15+AR-RESTOR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting.

I just realized that I've only had H buffers in all of my Carbeans. I can't even say if I can tell the difference since I've never fired the standard buffer.

The H buffer is what came with my Factory Colt AR15-A3 tactical carbine, so I've always just set up every one of my carbines the same way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    markm,

While we are certainly off the original topic, if you are bored, and get the chance, drop in a 9mm buffer. The more in tune a shooter is with their weapon, the greater the perceived difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In terms of increasing the reliablity, and also the longevity of parts, is there any way to know if you should go with an H2 or H3 over the standard H buffer? I run a 6920, the buffer and spring are just as they came from the factory...is there a better combo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    In terms of increasing the reliablity, and also the longevity of parts, is there any way to know if you should go with an H2 or H3 over the standard H buffer? I run a 6920, the buffer and spring are just as they came from the factory...is there a better combo?

I wouldn't mess with it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Better" is a relative term. While there are a lot of things you could do to alter the recoil impulse, you would be affecting overall reliability. In the same manner that you can tune a race car, you can tune your AR15/ M16. Just like a race car doesn't like regular fuel, its very possible to tune your AR so that it gets picky over what it likes...

I doubt the H2 buffer would hurt it any, but you could see issues with lower powered .223 loads.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I doubt the H2 buffer would hurt it any, but you could see issues with lower powered .223 loads.
    Like the RG garbage that I can't get rid fast enough. Seemed like a good idea at the time of purchase for range fodder, but I'm getting tired of perfecting failure drills.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    Like the RG garbage that I can't get rid fast enough. Seemed like a good idea at the time of purchase for range fodder, but I'm getting tired of perfecting failure drills.
    That sucks. My brother in law bought some of that. Mr. Know-it-all won't listen to me when I tell him that several guys have had problems with the ammo. He insists that it was how he was lubing the weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run at least a (3.8oz) H buffer in any AR that has a carbine length gas system and a (4.57oz) H2 in SBRs (12.5" and under) or in any that I shoot suppressed or ones with KX3s. I've run H3s in SBRs and Enidines but prefer much prefer the H2s.

In mid-length ARs (unless their suppressed) I run (2.9oz) standard CAR buffers (if suppressed I run an H buffer).

For 18"-20" ARs with rifle length gas systems and carbine stocks I use a (2.9oz) standard CAR buffer.

I also use a 'Crane O-ring or MGI Dfender' in any AR with a carbine length gas system.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom