Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H buffer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I run at least a (3.8oz) H buffer in any AR that has a carbine length gas system... I also use a 'Crane O-ring or MGI Dfender' in any AR with a carbine length gas system.
    What springs do you use? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    What springs do you use? Thanks.
    Standard power CAR springs. Sometimes chrome silicon standard power one when I can get them.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're running a standard carbine or H buffer you will definitely notice the difference when you switch to a 9mm or Enidine AR-restor. There isn't anywhere near as much muzzle jump with a 9mm compared to an H.

TS

Marlow Guest
    I put a h-buffer in my P.O.F. and I believe it improved my ability to get back on target quickly. It also made the rifle more comfortable to fire.. Granted, a 5.56 isn't a mule to begin with, but if it can be more comfortable, why not make the change... I would also guess that it would improve the service life of the bolt carrier.

Redfisher Guest

H Buffer

Considering the H Buffer is standard in nearly every top line manufacturer's carbine, I would say it is a good idea to upgrade yours. It is inexpensive insurance and easy to install.

Going to the H2, H3, HX, or even 9mm buffers would be a decision based on factors too numerous to make a blanket statement on.

edit: reading is fundamental Yea, like Gotm4 says, std CAR spring is GTG
    Last edited by Redfisher; 3 November 2007 at 17:57. Reason: misunderstood OP question

Downloads
    Uploads
    I say trying a 9mm buffer won't hurt. Try it, if it works keep it in. I have 9mm buffers in both my DI and my POF. Very noticeable difference.

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are potential issues to look for when switching to an H buffer AND a Wolff XP spring at the same time? Is that a no-no or should it be gtg? It is a S&W 15T btw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckles View Post
    What are potential issues to look for when switching to an H buffer AND a Wolff XP spring at the same time? Is that a no-no or should it be gtg? It is a S&W 15T btw.
    You could cause your AR to short cycle which may not allow it to lock back the bolt when empty or it may not pick up the next live round in the magazine but will eject the empty. If you have both what you can do is load 1 round per mag and fire it testing if it'll lock back empty. Do this at least 10 times with the rifle well lubed. Shoot about 100 rounds or so and then try it again with the rifle dirty but well lubed. If it doesn't lock back even once go back to a standard rate spring or use a CAR buffer with the Wolff spring. I also highly suggest that you have one of the gas block screws dimpled into the barrel to prevent it from shifting and making your AR a single shot.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

guam50 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by riverider4741 View Post
    I bought the Endine Hydraulic Buffer I read a good write up about it in the G&A Handbook of the AR...
    I run the carbine enidine on my 6.8SPC 16" without any problems. I had to switch out my rifle enidine on my 6.8SPC 18" with a standard rifle buffer for it to run reliably (getting FTFs). All my other ARs in .223/5.56 run an H-buffer with no problems using factory or handloaded ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My experience is that the H Buffer takes the recoil from a slap (and a girly slap at that) to a slow thud. No big deal really when you are running regular loads though your machine. If you go with suppressors and fancy ammo or other mods then it may have a more tangible benefit as to reliability, control, etc. I got it just to try it with regular loads and I like the thud instead of the slap so I'm keeping it in. As has been said by more sage persons than I above--be careful about what you modify or you can turn a marevelously reliable machine into a big question mark.

english kanigit Guest
    Sorry to hijack...

Whilst on the thought of reducing recoil impulse does anyone have thoughts on running a -16 bolt carrier in their gun? Would it offer any distinct differences versus a H Buffer? In conjunction with?

I've been wondering about doing this on my carbine.
    Ek

BTW- this is a nice place. Good threads/info everything is cut and dried with a minimum of foolishness. It's refreshing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by english kanigit View Post
    Sorry to hijack...

Whilst on the thought of reducing recoil impulse does anyone have thoughts on running a -16 bolt carrier in their gun? Would it offer any distinct differences versus a H Buffer? In conjunction with?

I've been wondering about doing this on my carbine.
    Ek

BTW- this is a nice place. Good threads/info everything is cut and dried with a minimum of foolishness. It's refreshing.
    I see no negatives to running an M16 carrier in your rifle or carbine, unless your state law prevents it. The M16 carrier is the weight and design meant to be in an AR. I don't run one because I haven't gotten around to doing it yet (money).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi EK. Fist off...welcome!
    Like TS said, there really is no downside to using what is referred to as the M16 carrier, which is actually the original configuration. By swapping out carriers, you're really not going to notice much, if any change in the felt recoil.

If I were building a weapon from parts, I would order the M16 carrier, but I wouldn't sweat it if my AR15 carrier was otherwise functional.