Review of the Pointman Gloves as originally posted on Arms Collective.

Line of Fire Tactical has developed a glove dubbed “Pointman”. Gloves come in many shapes, sizes, and purposes whether it be rubber medical-grade gloves for a doctor, cowhide split leather gloves for a construction worker, or in this particular case, tactical shooting gloves for the military serviceman, police officer, competitive shooter, or just about anyone who wants to protect their hands while shooting. Of the three main purposes of gloves, protection, grip, and warmth, the Pointman covers two of them quite well and the latter on less than frigid days.

Utilizing patented micro-replicated technology, the Pointman uses a unique gripping system that combines a high friction surface with thin flexible backing. Used alone the grip system provides a strong and secure grip in wet and dry environments. Used in a two-part system, the strength of the grip is maximized, though the grip will release instantly when needed. The grip is made possible by TEGS™ (Technologically Enhanced Grip System) by Grip Tech which uses thousands of microscopic nodes, or gripping fingers, that when used in a one-part system can increase grip by up to 80% and by 270% when used in a two-part system. In layman’s terms, TEGS™ is a high-tech non-slip traction system, not a sticking system. It will not stick to itself or your clothing like Velcro does, but instead provides traction and grip when and where needed. Every pair of Pointman gloves include a 36” roll of gripping tape for you to place on anything that you need to get a little extra traction on, such as the grip of your AR-15.

Close up macro shot of the TEGS™ material with a Penny for size comparison.

Every pair of Pointman Gloves comes with 36" of TEGS™ tape to outfit your gear as you see fit.

The Pointman is a short versatile glove that is constructed of high-grade digital goatskin with TEGS™ material on the palm and fingers, premium drum-dyed cowhide leather on top of the hand and fingers, 100% Nomex on top of the hand and fingers, and includes polyurethane abrasion and impact resistant knuckle and finger guards. The gloves are available in black, tan, and foliage green and are available in sizes from Small to XX-Large. Line of Fire has done a nice job with the exact placement of the TEGS™ material on the palm and fingers allowing the hand to form naturally into a fist or gripping position without bunching up, causing hot-spots, or discomfort. The TEGS™ material is so extremely thin that you will not notice it is even there.

Though some glove manufacturers offer padded palms in their shooting gloves and if done correctly are not too bad. The Pointman does not offer padding on the palm, but does offer very minimalistic padding on the top side of the fingers. Personally I do not care too much for padding in the palm of my gloves and I don’t think that the lack of padding will be a deal-breaker for most.

For those shooters out there that is particular about how their finger falls on the trigger will appreciate the leather over wrap trigger finger that provides seamless comfort and better trigger dexterity. The Pointman is touchscreen capable allowing the wearer to utilize nearly any of their touchscreen devices without the need of removing the gloves. I only say nearly since I obviously cannot test out every single touch screen out there, though every touch-capable screen that I have tried works out just fine.

The TEGS™ material on the palm side of the fingers is placed perfectly in a way as not to interfere with the finger bending and does not cause bunching.

Out of the packaging, the Pointman is extremely comfortable, flexible and does not require a break-in period or conditioning for functional use.

For those who are accustom to the carbon fiber knuckles offered in some tactical gloves will find that the semi-hard polyurethane knuckles on the Pointman are more malleable, are not as restrictive and do not have the hard sharp edge commonly associated with the carbon fiber one-piece molded knuckles. However, the polyurethane knuckles will probably not provide the same level of impact resistance as the carbon fiber knuckles do. As long as you are not being cracked across the hand with a metal pipe on a regular basis, the polyurethane should suit most needs just fine.

Notice the TEGS™ tape that has been wrapped around the Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group Grip 23 for added traction when used with our without the Pointman gloves.

As with almost every quality manufacturer, Line of Fire guarantees their gloves for 90 days, to the original customer, against any defects in manufacturing, materials or workmanship. As common sense would apply, the Limited Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, neglect or accidents caused by the customer. Also keep in mind that you can extend the life of your gloves by hand washing them with a mild detergent and allowing them to hang dry. The Iraqi desert was rough on many pair of my gloves and those that were washed more often seemed to last considerably longer.

The MSRP of the Pointman is $159.99, though discounted prices can be found around the internet.

For more information, check out Line of Fire Tactical at http://loftactical.com.

Line of Fire will be at booth #30513 of the 2014 SHOT Show, which will be held at the Sands Expo Center in Las Vegas from January 14-17, 2014.