Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

ideas for a turret mount?

So I've been back and forth on what my next vehicle is gonna be and I'm leaning alot towards a jeep wrangler (2003+). I got to thinking tho that the roll bar could be a perfect spot to mount a turret, anyone know of a manufacturer or a diy on one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    you could set up an easy DIY with this Tripod head

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=2

Downloads
    Uploads
    What exactly are you going to do with a turret?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing good I would guess.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Made me raise an eyebrow...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just thought it would be a cool project, obviously I won't be driving thru the middle of town with my ar mounted on top lol, just be fun for shooting out back and stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clint224 View Post
    I just thought it would be a cool project, obviously I won't be driving thru the middle of town with my ar mounted on top lol, just be fun for shooting out back and stuff.
    I guess the thought never occurred to me from that aspect as in some areas, you can't shoot legally from your vehicle.

Post pics if you end up doing this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny you ask about that. Our Sheriff's dept has a Humvee with a turret. It was given to them as a gift. Sure, like our Sheriff and our 3 deputies really 'need' it? It's OK though. It has a really cool paint job and they drive it in the parades and throw candy for the kids to pick up from it. They keep it parked on the corner of Main St. (the ONE actual street in town) so that people can oggle it and like it. A Humvee is a good choice to mount a turret on, but any enclosed 4x4 would do. There's no point in putting a turret on the roll bar of a Jeep. The legs and lower half of the body of the gunner are exposed. A .30 or .50 caliber, belt fed firearm would would be the best choice to mount on the turret for a weapon though. For what us civilians have available I guess I'd choose a .308 or .50 BMG and modify it to be belt fed.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    For what us civilians have available I guess I'd choose a .308 or .50 BMG and modify it to be belt fed.
    There are M60s, M240s, M1919s, and M2s in semi and full auto all available for us civilians.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'm lucky to even have a legal ar 15 here in ny full auto will never happen. I just thought it would be something different you don't see often

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to mount a MK19 on my Jeep! How cool would that be?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It wouldn't be hard to make a ball and socket mount that attaches to the rail. U could make it to give you some added height, too. As far as mounting to the roll bar, thats the easy part. Just don't use hose clamps or anything. Lol. I think about a Benjamin and a trip to machine shop and you got it. Most of the stuff can be turned on a lathe pretty quick but a little milling for the rail adapter. Pretty straight forward.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, not sure exactly how much sense this makes in NY. Cool idea in theory, maybe not in legality though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya but nothing will be legal if the safe act continues might as well go out with a bang lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAston View Post
    There are M60s, M240s, M1919s, and M2s in semi and full auto all available for us civilians.
    As long as they are belt fed, that's fine (provided we can afford to buy the ammo and belts of course)

An M60 would be my choice. I fired them in the Navy. Ammo and belts though plus the cost of an M60 would be tough to afford. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket and hope.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.