Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Decisions, decisions ...

Magpul MIAD Enhanced Trigger Guard or Spike's Billet Trigger Guard?

Even if you're careful, it's easy to break a receiver tab when installing the trigger guard roll pin. The Little Crow Gunworks AR-15 Trigger Guard Roll Pin Pusher makes this task easy and worry-free.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I'm in love with my SSA-E. I've got it on a GP 14.5. I wondered at first if it wasn't too light for that type of set-up, but it didn't take long for me to come to prefer it over a SSA.
    SSA-E is a two-stage trigger, correct? I am looking for a single stage, but I appreciate the suggestion.
    Last edited by MoxyDave; 10 January 2014 at 23:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dave have you looked into the HiperFire Elite Trigger? Right now one of my favorites. 3 different springs as well to increase or decrease trigger pull.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Dave have you looked into the HiperFire Elite Trigger? Right now one of my favorites. 3 different springs as well to increase or decrease trigger pull.
    I've glanced at it but haven't researched it in-depth. You recently installed one didn't you? Have you shot it much yet? I'd like to stick to standard springs, and I haven't read anything about the long-term reliability of the HiperFire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    My requirements:
    - single stage
    - 3 or 4 lb pull
    - safe, reliable, something you would take into combat
    - separate pieces, no "trigger packs"
    - uses standard springs
    - price is no object, but only if higher price actually means higher quality
    - compatible with 45 degree BAD-ASS-ST selector

Please help me find the best trigger, bar none, for this unique rifle.
    Dave,

I'm not one of the salty dogs with hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange, but I suspect your list is impossible to satisfy. I suggest defining "the best" might require a more narrow list of criteria and a more complete definition of how you expect to use the carbine.

In most cases, getting a single stage trigger to 3-4 lbs requires reduced power springs, which reduces your combat-ready reliability by introducing the possibility of light primer strikes. Many might suggest that a 3 lb trigger is, by that very trait, not adequately safe or suitable in hard use or combat situations. So it seems to me that hitting all your points seems a pretty difficult feat.

If you gravitate more towards a real single stage, reliable trigger, I really, really like my ALG ACT trigger. It breaks at a higher pull weight than your 4 lb cutoff because it uses full power springs and a long-established trigger design, but is silky-smooth with a short, firm reset. I can't tell you what durability on the hardlubing might be, there's no way I have enough cycles on it to consider evaluating that. But so far, everyone who tried it has been impressed.

If you're wiling to sacrifice the real single stage design, but maintain a "single stage feel" and wiggle a little on that "combat-ready" criteria, one of the Geissele 3Gun triggers MAY satisfy your needs. At least on paper, it looks right up your alley. Both are short-throw, 3 lb triggers. I have not used either of these SSGs yet, so bear in mind that this this suggestion is based only on my overall positive experience with Geissele products and the literature from the "product flyer" link on their web site.

As to your point on the SSA and SSA-E, yes, both have a very distinct 2-stage feel. I like my SSA, except for the slightly long reset.

Regards.
    D.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Dave,
    In most cases, getting a single stage trigger to 3-4 lbs requires reduced power springs, which reduces your combat-ready reliability by introducing the possibility of light primer strikes. Many might suggest that a 3 lb trigger is, by that very trait, not adequately safe or suitable in hard use or combat situations. So it seems to me that hitting all your points seems a pretty difficult feat.
    That is some good food for thought. I had not considered that lowering pull to 3 lbs or so may require lighter springs. Thanks for the reply and I will look into your suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Progress

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any luck on finding a trigger group?

I keep hoping one on the mods will pop in, call me a clueless noob and rattle off 6 assemblies that meet all your criteria.........

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Any luck on finding a trigger group?

I keep hoping one on the mods will pop in, call me a clueless noob and rattle off 6 assemblies that meet all your criteria.........
    Not yet. I haven't had time to really dig into it and the bank account has to recover slightly first. I do appreciate the suggestions. I think most of the old hats are busy dealing with SHOT right now

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Magpul MIAD Enhanced Trigger Guard or Spike's Billet Trigger Guard?

Even if you're careful, it's easy to break a receiver tab when installing the trigger guard roll pin. The Little Crow Gunworks AR-15 Trigger Guard Roll Pin Pusher makes this task easy and worry-free.

You know Dave, I just noticed this post... a Roll Pin Pusher eh? Never seen one of those, it looks pretty slick!

I've probably put together 60-70 lowers and have never had any issue with ears breaking off, just have to make sure it's supported. One thing that does make roll pin installation much easier is I always use a couple of drops of oil on the pin and hole.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool logo you got engraved. Nice pics!

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=UWone77;48215]You know Dave, I just noticed this post... a Roll Pin Pusher eh? Never seen one of those, it looks pretty slick![QUOTE]

Yeah it's just one of those things that makes life a little easier, y'know? It's always a good idea to lubricate the roll pin regarless of method.

I broke an ear off when I was first learning years ago, so it's possible I have an irrational fear of doing it again

Downloads
    Uploads
    I followed the link of your new barrel (the one you posted in another thread), and immediately darted here to see if you had any new pics of your progress. Guess not yet.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=MoxyDave;48235][QUOTE=UWone77;48215]You know Dave, I just noticed this post... a Roll Pin Pusher eh? Never seen one of those, it looks pretty slick!

Yeah it's just one of those things that makes life a little easier, y'know? It's always a good idea to lubricate the roll pin regarless of method.

I broke an ear off when I was first learning years ago, so it's possible I have an irrational fear of doing it again
    That roll pin pusher looks like a life saver. I've never broken a receiver, but I get as anxious installing them, as I would if it were open heart surgery. My friend has the exact same spikes trigger guard, and while he was helping me install the buffer tube (I'm still recovering from neck surgery), he noticed the Seekins on mine. They are EXACTLY the same thing. Looks like someone's outsourcing to the same place?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I followed the link of your new barrel (the one you posted in another thread), and immediately darted here to see if you had any new pics of your progress. Guess not yet.
    Haha yeah I'm slacking big-time Recently got back from a few weeks in Hawaii and I'm still getting caught up with work ...