Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Haha yeah I'm slacking big-time Recently got back from a few weeks in Hawaii and I'm still getting caught up with work ...
    Dave, you live a rough life. We were just in Hawaii in November, seems like a lifetime ago now. I almost forgot about your epic Stickman build among all of the other builds people are doing. Hopefully we get some new pictures and new parts soon !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha yeah tell me about it! However, I haven't had a vacation since 2006 so it was well deserved and super appreciated. I'll post a few photos in the people/places forum when I have some time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Aero Precision COP upper kit is pretty neat. You can configure it any way you like with the provided rails. The bottom half is removed to install the barrel and rails, so you don't have to re-zero an optic if you decide to change it up.

I wanted the gas block to fit inside the rail. The COP upper is not really meant to be used this way; there is very little room. I had to file the gas block roll pin so that it was flush with the gas block in order to prevent it from touching the inside of the receiver. The PRI stainless gas block fits with only a couple mm to spare. I was contemplating using a shaved Wilson adjustable gas block but it was just too tight.

I wanted a stainless barrel, just because I thought it would look cool. There are not a lot of companies offering stainless barrels with carbine length gas systems. After a ton of research, I found Lilja and their stainless M4 barrel. This is the barrel they famously made for the Naval Surface Warfare Center which eventually came to be known as the "Recce". I had mine fluted to lighten it up a bit, to mitigate the weight of the AP COP. The barrel is super expensive, but it's gorgeous. The bore is hand-lapped and has a mirror finish. The fluting is nice, and I like the classy markings on the end. This 17" barrel features a 1 in 8 twist and a 223 Wylde chamber.

Downloads
    Uploads

Parts is parts

Rainier Arms NIB BCG, BattleComp 1.0 Stainless, and Rainier Arms Raptor CH.

Finally back to work and the build is coming along nicely!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any updates on this? You've got to be getting close!
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Any updates on this? You've got to be getting close!
    Indeed I am! Unfortunately I haven't had much time for hobbies lately.

I've been saving up for a very expensive 1-6 optic, either a Leupold or a Trijicon VCOG if it comes out soon enough.

I'll try to get some new photos up soon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely a pride and joy build, can't wait to see it. :)
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is going to be one awesome build.

Congrats on the win.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did I see somewhere else on here that you finished this? C'mon man where are the pics?!
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Did I see somewhere else on here that you finished this? C'mon man where are the pics?!
    *nearly* finished, enough to shoot but there are a couple finishing touches I have to wait on

I'm anxious to post pics but I want it complete first ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to complain about the lack of photos myself, but I just read a message from Dave through PM's that explains why there has been a slight delay. Can't wait to see it, this should be a great gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys are killing me without the updated pics!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok so.... it's July now...
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads

Broken Bolt

Hey all, I've been waiting on some cosmetic things to finish off this build, but it's been shootable for a couple months.

After about 200 rounds, while breaking in the Lilja Precision barrel I had a bolt failure.

The rifle ceased to chamber and upon inspection I found a lug had sheared from the bolt. The lug had lodged in the barrel extension, stopping the action.

Glad it worked out this way as it may have continued to fire for some time. Who knows maybe even the lug could have got down the barrel and fired out with a bullet

Anyway Rainier is being super cool and and I'm expecting a new BCG this week.

This is a Rainier NIB BCG that I bought in early January 2014. They said they had a bad batch and immediately offered to send me a new one. They gave me a pre-paid label for returning the failed BCG and have already shipped out a new one.

I have never experienced this before. After searching it appears relatively common and my bolt looks typical for a heat treatment problem. It's amazing how much heat treatment really does for metal.

I hope that everyone understands that failures of this sort can and do happen periodically, life is not perfect, and shit happens.

Rainier customer support so far has been exemplary as I expected.

This is why I always test my gear

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uh oh...

Good on RA taking care of it quickly, funny as i had what appears a problem with the same bcg within the same time and had to send mine back in also..

Im not going back thru this, just curious what buffer and ammo you were running when this happened