Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 thoughts

Downloads
    Uploads

.308 thoughts

Been talking to my brother this past week and started talking about rifles for hunting and shooting distance. Maybe a little both at the same time. We have friends in Wyoming and talked about doing some Big Horn hunting. He immediately jumps on the Weatherby page and starts looking at 300 mag and 7 Mag rifles. I think .308 is plenty big enough and long enough to take hunting for something like that.

Does anyone make a left side side-charging upper for the .308 that will fit a DPMS style lower.. possibly one of those CMT billets that got posted today as the release meets my timeline date :). The idea is to not install a gas tube ( thread and seal off at the gas block) so I will have to charge a fresh round in after each shot manually. This should work correct? Figure a 20" barrel and maybe one of those 7.62 Lantac USA brakes should do the trick.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I'm not totally clear on what you're looking for. It looks like you want to put together a 308 upper for the hunt, and you don't want it to function as a semi-auto rifle.

I have to ask why you would bother at all with this project? If you don't want it to be semi auto, why not just save all the weight that comes with a semi auto as well? For what it would cost to assemble such an upper, you could easily buy a quality bolt action that would be more than sufficient.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Arms View Post
    I guess I'm not totally clear on what you're looking for. It looks like you want to put together a 308 upper for the hunt, and you don't want it to function as a semi-auto rifle.

I have to ask why you would bother at all with this project? If you don't want it to be semi auto, why not just save all the weight that comes with a semi auto as well? For what it would cost to assemble such an upper, you could easily buy a quality bolt action that would be more than sufficient.
    I was thinking along the lines of maybe an adjustable gas block. Something I can turn the gas on and off with. Honestly I don't know. I have seen the uppers that are bolt action uppers mounted to the standard AR style lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could go with the new Seekins Receivers or complete rifles:

Or for the budget minded.... I guess PSA is taking a stab at the 308 market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Or for the budget minded.... I guess PSA is taking a stab at the 308 market.

That Seekins looks nice. And you know the PSA isn't bad. I just need to find a good side charging upper. And I think the JP Enterprises adjustable gas block is the best route to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

.308 thoughts

Well ASA does a non-reciprocating left side charging handle.... my only problem is their stripped lower, and upper receiver with charging handle and BCG is $1075. Think I am going to try and talk him out of the side charging upper.
    Last edited by Computalotapus; 3 February 2014 at 12:23.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did just happen to stumble into the offices at Rainier today and saw that they had a prototype .308 Receiver set in the works...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I saw that John had posted a sneak peak of the lower on instagram. Really like the stuff RA is kicking out. I'm really stuck on the upper tho. Maybe I will build one or maybe I will get a nice bolt gun and drop in a chassis. Haven't decided on it and it is a good ways down before I start the project. Gotta start and finish the NTD build first.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

PSC-12

JP Rifles offers a complete upper from their PSC-12 rifle that they advertise will fit on a large frame DPMS lower. http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_12.php
    Last edited by alpha.kilo; 13 March 2014 at 22:10. Reason: punctuation

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've messed with a M&P 10 a little bit and I'm pretty impressed with it. It seems to handle very well and is lighter than most AR-10 set ups.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the look of that Seekins, but I don't see any available out there. Have you had a chance to get your hands on one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Razer View Post
    I like the look of that Seekins, but I don't see any available out there. Have you had a chance to get your hands on one?
    I haven't had any time with one in my hands. At this point I don't know where Seekins is with their 308 rifles. I think they are busy moving their facilities. I'm guessing in the next few months. We'll definitely keep you posted. They've got a ton of new products coming out this year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We'll definitely keep you posted. They've got a ton of new products coming out this year.
    Any "spoiler alerts" you want to tease us with?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Decided to start my own .308 Projects. I decided to go with Mega as they were in stock at the time of purchase.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This build gonna have a Mega barrel or Noveske?