Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wolf Gold Ammo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of this thread... what ever happened to Fort Tom?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    That's a good question. I have his contact info, I'll try and get a hold of him this week if I can

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    It has only recently come down to $279. It hovered at $299 for quite a while. I was waiting for $259. :)
    $259? Dang, how long ago was this? Cheapest I've seen it was $270's - and that was last Decemeber.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Didn't the GAW kind of drive him away? I know he was kinda pissed about all the stuff that was going on with it.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was $279 for a couple months at sgammo. But it had been dropping in $20 increments every four-six months or so, if I recall correctly. I've already got my reserve ammo, so it had to be a lower price to compel me to get more. $289 is still very good for anyone who needs to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems like Wolf continues to creep up in price and I continue to get less and less impressed with it. I grabbed two cases of it a couple of months ago and one is almost gone. Looking forward to getting rid of the second one. Behold (MK12 @100, 6 shots fired):

I've had only slightly better results out of my MK18. My M4 Block 2 has been okay out to 200y, but it's not terribly consistent like it is with Federal.

Same gun, same day (MK12 @100y with IMI 77gr, 10 shots). First three shots (two at 2 o'clock and one at 3 o'clock) were before a one click adjustment to the left to get it zeroed, then 7 more rounds fired:

I get it's not supposed to be match ammo, but when I can't hit a full-sized IPSC target at 200 with a gun that has no problem hitting smaller targets with Federal M193 or XTAC, I think I'm done.
    Last edited by gatordev; 20 February 2016 at 13:33.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator, I buy tons of the stuff. I also buy 500 rd boxes of green tip and Federal. I think it's kind of like reloading. You hone your load to a particular rifle. But with "store bought" ammo you might get 1 inch groups in one rifle and terrible groups in the next one. I get that with Wolf Gold, M193, and some Swedish stuff I have a lot of. If you can't get decent groups in all your rifles, or they all shoot M193 or XTAC well, then I'd ditch the Wolf Gold, but give it a try in some of your other rifles, other than the one that turned up those groups pictured above.

I can get good to very good groups out of three of mine with Wolf Gold. The other two, including my favorite "voodoo" rifle, spray them all over the place.

I haven't noticed any price increases, but I ordered my last case through Aim Surplus, which I can drive 50 miles to pick up, or pay about 13 bucks shipping. It's been about a month or so ago, so maybe it has creeped up here too, I'll have to check.

One last thing on the Wolf, It seems to burn a little cleaner, nothing drastic, but noticeable. The green tip wants to shoot some pretty lousy groups out of a couple of my rifles, but does fairly well in others.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you can't get decent groups in all your rifles, or they all shoot M193 or XTAC well, then I'd ditch the Wolf Gold, but give it a try in some of your other rifles, other than the one that turned up those groups pictured above.
    Done and done. I've run the Wolf through 3 rifles now, none with exciting results. Even PPU M193 has been more reliable (except in my Centruion 12.5", for whatever reason). Unfortunately, I think it will be discovered shortly for how great it is, but I'm high on IMI M193 now. If I can't get Federal M193, the IMI stuff has been very impressive for my rifles.

Obviously First World problems, across the board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    It seems like Wolf continues to creep up in price and I continue to get less and less impressed with it. I grabbed two cases of it a couple of months ago and one is almost gone. Looking forward to getting rid of the second one. Behold (MK12 @100, 6 shots fired):

On some other websites, that would count as two 1.5MOA 3-shot groups and we'd be hearing about how great the ammo is.

Kidding aside, that looks like about 3.5-4MOA, which is only a little worse than I'd expect from any bulk 55gr ammo and is perfectly acceptable for most plinking purposes.

I did pick up some of the IMI SMK loads (69 and 77gr) to see how my 18" WOA barrel likes it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post

I did pick up some of the IMI SMK loads (69 and 77gr) to see how my 18" WOA barrel likes it.
    I've run my batch of the IMI 77gr SMKs out to 600y and it was very consistent and held together all the way out. I'm a little concerned about temperature sensitivity, as my chrono was significantly over-estimating velocity compared to when I trued it out, but the two days had a 30 degree temp difference. Then again, it might have just been my chrono being weird.

I'm going to run the ammo next weekend at a Defoor class, so we'll see how it holds up. Based on two weeks ago, I've got high hopes.