I have been running the HSGI Wasatch since its introduction. And have seen it change in versions over the years as Gene keeps making Little Improvements over the previous Versions. I have probably used every Upgrade for this Plate Carrier. And thought it could always have used some type of bungee retention system. I was ecstatic when SKD contacted me to be one of the first to run these and write a review. Well I'm a little late on the actual review, but its for good reason. I was trying to find something that I didn't like about these Bungees. A little over a month and a half later, here we go.

Upon receiving these I examined them for quality and uniformity. They all looked really nice. I knew a competent Gear Maker must have sewn these. So I drove over to HSGI's shop to talk with Gene about them. He mentioned how they make these type of Dual Bungees for the JDF (Japanese Defense Force) but they did not make the ones SKD were selling. Gene showed me some Bungee retainers that HSGI has produced, they do not separate the 2 magazines but are another great upgrade. He gave me 6 of them to run also.

So here I am, I have 6 Dual SKD Bungees, 6 Single HSGI Bungees, and 6 Original HSGI Satch Series Flaps. I wanted to provide a good comparison review of all three.

Here are the 3 Pictured Below.
From Left to Right: HSGI's Single Bungee, SKD's Dual Bungee, and HSGI's Original Flap W/Rubber Band

To start off my actual hands on review, I decided to run my Wa with all three variations. I was gonna run through some drills, A modified Navy Drill worked well for testing reloads.

I set up my Wasatch with the original Flaps that were currently on it. They worked just like they have been for me for 5 years. Rip the tab forward, grab the front mag and the rear mag stays in the now open pouch via rubber band. Then grab the rear mag for a reload and the rubber band will either break or slip off the mag. I used AK and M4 Mags like I have been for years..
Good set up.

I then set up my Wasatch for with the HSGI Single bungees. They are just like the Satch Bungees SKD had as an upgrade in the past. They worked well and made mag changes quicker. They also were easily adjustable for AK mags. Just adjust the Velcro tab and the height is adjusted.
Great set up.

I finally set up my Wasatch for the "New" SKD Bungees. Right from the get go I noticed I was gonna like these. They separated the mags just enough to make gripping the mag really easy. This separation in turn also quieted the mags eliminating "mag slap" and clang. For M4 Style mags, including P-Mags, this set up cant be beat. Mag Changes were ridiculously easy. Reason being I could make the separated mags sit higher in their pockets Because of the "bottoms" on the double bungee. Thus being able to get a Positive grip which added to the fluid motion right to the mag well.
Awesome set up.

I did notice that AK mags didn't like this bungee because the bottom restricted the height that the shock cord could go over the mag. If running AK mags use the HSGI Single Bungee. But if you have a Wasatch or Weesatch and you are running an M4 you are stupid as hell not to be using these Bungees. I am really thankful to SKD for letting me be one of the first to run these and writing a review for them.

If you have any questions or want any pictures taken please do not hesitate to ask me.

CXS