Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best Light for AR15

What's you favorite light for an AR-15? I personally like the Surefire M300B. Here are some other canidates:
    Inforce WML
    Surefire X300
    Elzetta
    Streamlight TRL-1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hands down the M300B or M600C for me. I really love scout lights.

I think Elzetta makes the best light on the market, but their weapon mounted systems need improvement. Until Elzetta makes a dedicated weapon light, I will have to keep using Surefire Scouts. INFORCE also gets an honorable mention.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running a Scout and I absolutely love it. I was surprised with how light it was, too. Get it? Punny.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've configured several rifles with the WML and some Haley Strategic mounts running them at the 11 o'clock on some extended handguards. With my long arms, I've liked the position, but I haven't been able to really wring them out. Hopefully after I move and get settled, I can take a low-light course and see what I think.

That said, what I have found out about the WML on the HS mounts is that they "slip" ever so slightly when you push the PTS button. It's not the end of the world, but there is slight movement when you want to activate the light. This is with three different mounts and the same light.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
    I'm running a Scout and I absolutely love it. I was surprised with how light it was, too. Get it? Punny.
    Funny

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just (based on recommendations here) purchased an Inforce WML White/Momentary. Truthfully, there's not a lot I can do to test it out, but walk around the house with the light on, or when the weather warms up this spring, take it to my buddy's farm, a pretty good drive from here, and set some targets against a back stop he has. Or take a "low light" course. But I can say this, it's lightweight, 3oz. W/battery, and has a simple to attach and remove mounting system.

It feels sturdy, and has two "safeties" to keep you from accidently hitting the momentary (only) switch. I was only planning on leaving it on one the rifles for SD around the house. paid $113 from optics planet.

I doubt if any serious "operator' would want one, but I feel it's quite adequate for SD around the house, with the caveat that I am by no means an expert on the subject, like I said, I bought it after asking a similar question here on the forum. But after seeing how quickly I can identify a "target" and just simply let go of the button, and kill the light, extremely fast, I'm quite happy with it.

They also have the same light with more options, with the price starting a little higher than I paid and going up from there.

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another vote for the sure fire scout lights. They have been on my personal and work weapons for years and still work despite all the stupid stuff I tend to do. Light, bright as the sun, and tough as nails. I don't need to look any further.

SOS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have experience with a X300 Utra, and how does it compare to a M300B?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an ultra and while I hate pressure switches, my opinion is that to mount the x300u on a rifle, it needs the pressure switch. Preferably mounted on the top rail. The x300 series is too easy to accidentally activate. Great light, I have them on all my pistols.

SOS

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can't go wrong with the SF lights, but honorable mention goes to the Streamlight TLR1 HL. At 630 lumens, there's output to spare. I've heard some comments that nobody needs that much output, but especially in an outdoor setting, I've found that to be inaccurate. They are commonly found around $130. They are more prone to accidental activation that some other designs, so I might try one with a remote pressure switch as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 for the inforce it takes one CR123 it's 200 lumens it's light compact and hasn't failed me yet. Mine is running in the Haley strategic thorn tail mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a really big fan of the Inforce WML. It lights up a larger area around the center of the beam compared to my Surefires. Travis Haley has a good video where he describes the benefits to the WML as well as general information about weapon lights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78tH6aVpuM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I just (based on recommendations here) purchased an Inforce WML White/Momentary. Truthfully, there's not a lot I can do to test it out, but walk around the house with the light on, or when the weather warms up this spring, take it to my buddy's farm, a pretty good drive from here, and set some targets against a back stop he has. Or take a "low light" course. But I can say this, it's lightweight, 3oz. W/battery, and has a simple to attach and remove mounting system.

It feels sturdy, and has two "safeties" to keep you from accidently hitting the momentary (only) switch. I was only planning on leaving it on one the rifles for SD around the house. paid $113 from optics planet.

I doubt if any serious "operator' would want one, but I feel it's quite adequate for SD around the house, with the caveat that I am by no means an expert on the subject, like I said, I bought it after asking a similar question here on the forum. But after seeing how quickly I can identify a "target" and just simply let go of the button, and kill the light, extremely fast, I'm quite happy with it.

They also have the same light with more options, with the price starting a little higher than I paid and going up from there.

FT.
    Why would a "serious operator" not want a WML over a Surefire, for example? Every ounce of weight counts and the weight (or lack of weight) of the WML is a real benefit without sacrificing durability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Inforce WML is a really good product for the price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman596 View Post
    Why would a "serious operator" not want a WML over a Surefire, for example? Every ounce of weight counts and the weight (or lack of weight) of the WML is a real benefit without sacrificing durability.
    Maybe they would. At the time I posted that I basically had about zero time with a light. I was just going off of comments on this forum when I bought it. I've since bought another.
    However, as I'm sure you know, some of the lights that I read about LE (especially) and other tactical users, trained and who operate in situations that almost demand a light, well they have multiple features and options, compared to my Inforce WML's which only have a momentary push button, either an on or off proposition. I like mine for my use, primarily in the house and a perimeter directly around the house. Also like the fact that it weighs 3oz, w/battery installed.

But I'd have to guess that the professional would require all the extra features and mounting options, tape switches and all those options that come with those lights that start in the $250 - $300 range and go up from there.

As for me, my simple Inforce lights work. But probably not for the Pro. My only real "night time live fire" was in the MIL and the only "lights" were tracers. In the years since, I know that their mission requirements and tools have changed.

I would though, like to take a civilian "low light" course if I could only find one near me. Then, as I gained more knowledge, I might stay with what I have, or determine that I might need or want more functionality. Don't know.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper