Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Benelli vs. FN vs. ?

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun. I've had some time behind a 870 Wingmaster and loved it. I loved it so much, I don't want to buy one. I'm thinking that I'd be better suited with a autoloader. So here's the criteria. I want something for HD/SHTF. I don't plan on clearing rooms at home but rather taking up a defensive stance if something goes bump in the night. I'd also like to be able to shot some clay. Not Sporting clay or trap. Just some backyard fun.

Whenever someone says shotgun, the first thing that pops into many minds is Benelli. I don't think I'll be getting a M4. I don't have to have everything the mil uses. I think a M2 or a M3 might be a good choice. What I'm worried about with the M2 is will it be able to feed the lighter loads OK. Also, will having a pistol grip stock affect the inertia system? I'm still not sure if I want a straight stock or a pistol grip stock. Pro's/Con's? I've never shot a shotgun with a pistol grip stock.

Now the other stick that comes up fairly often in 3-gun seems to be the FN SLP. How does it stack up to the Benelli's? IIRC, it's based off of the Winchester X2. Another thing to consider is price. I was told from a reseller that the SLP jumped in price significantly since early this year. There is the SLP MK1 which is a little different. I kinda like the 22" models with the 8+1+1 but that gooseneck rail, not so much. I prefer the ghost ring sights. I noticed that FN does not make a straight stock 22" SLP in the US but does for other markets. Seems strange. They do have a tactical in 22" though.

Is there anything else comparable to these? Mossberg 930 SPX seems to be a lesser to the FN. Cost wise, it's not much of a savings over the 22" MK1 that I've seen from Ray Tanners on Gun Broker.

I don't know much about the Remington 11-83. Is that comparable? Or should jump ship and just go with a Remington 870P or Mossberg 590A1....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really have been doing well with my FN SLP Mk1 in 3gun. It's the gun you would want if you want to be able to shoot everything from light clays rounds to 3" slugs. Mine came with 2 pistons. One is for 1.5oz or lighter and the heavy piston is for 1.5oz or heavier loads. Although mine runs great with the 1.5oz light piston on Wal-Mart bulk Federal lo-brass 7-1/2s I still bought the lightest piston available from Brownells (it's the Browning Gold Sporting Clays piston). It's made for 1-1/8oz or lighter shells. I also replaced the recoil spring with the Browning Gold 3.5" recoil spring. The one that came out of my gun looked just like the new one (The FN might already be upgraded to this spring), supposedly the Winchester SX2 had a lighter spring. I sold my M1 Benelli to get this, the Benelli was just too finicky with lighter loads. I shortened my handguard and beveled out the loading port because a few times in practice and in my first match I didn't get the round all the way to the shell stops, after the work it hasn't happened again. I'm using a 3gungear.com side saddle and 2 shot handguard saddle. I use Briley extended chokes in Light Modified and Improved Cylinder. The flip up rear sight is pretty much useless for slug. With my Federal Truball reduced recoil slugs it's hits 5-6" too high even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. So I just leave it flipped down and use the gutter of the scope mount and use the front aligned within it and can make decent 50yd hits. I also bought a Nordic Components 1 shot mag extension for the few outlaw 3gun matches I shoot that don't have mag capacity restrictions. So I can actually then get 9 in the mag tube, 1 on the carrier and 1 in the chamber.

Last edited by gotm4; 16 August 2008 at 04:09.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've still got to see what kind of prices I can get on the Benelli before I make a choice but it does look like the SLP has the edge. I can't believe the SLP's price shot up so much after it's introduction though. $300 is pretty steep when you compare the price with the MKI.

I'm kind of torn between the different sight systems. Basically it comes down to the Rifle and the Ghost Ring sight for either the Benelli or the FN. I'm used to shooting with the bead. What's your take on it? I don't think I'll be shooting slugs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the fiber optic. My Benelli had a ghost ring and large military type protected front. I can shoot either well. The fiber is a little faster. On GunBroker Tanners is selling the FN SLP MK1 for $680 at the Buy It Now price.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know I'm a dinosaur, but I like blue steel and nice wood stock. For me, I have been looking at the Benelli Legacy with 26"!!!

Just my .02 worth.

Cohibra45

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post
    I know I'm a dinosaur, but I like blue steel and nice wood stock. For me, I have been looking at the Benelli Legacy with 26"!!!

Just my .02 worth.

Cohibra45
    Oh, I've been considering something old school as well. I want to eventually get either a Winchester 97 Riot or a Norinco/IAC Model 97 Trench. IAC said Norinco moved their SG plant and are trying to get it started back up. This means their stock is currently non existent. The Model 97 Riots are popular with the cowboy crowd. I figure I wouldn't really want to use something like this for HS/SHTF though. Might be too finicky.

I'm really leaning towards the FN SLP MKI though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I guess it's my turn to give opinion.

I have not shot the Benelli Mk2/3, though I do have rounds logged on the Nova. I have extensive rounds logged on the FN SLP MK1, Mossberg 500, 590and Remington 870.

I currently own, the Remingtin 870, Mossyberg 590, and FN SLP Mk1

Duty Shotgun is Benelli Nova or Remington 870

The 870 has the most felt recoil, the Nova has the least in my opinion

The 870 has a bead front sight, the Nova and 590 have rifle sights, and the FN has a flip up wedge with a fiber optic front "bead"

The 870 is the slowest of the pump shotguns, and the Nova in my opion has the least felt recoil.

Currently only FN SLP's and MK1's in country currently are available as importation has been stopped by ATF. This is not to say they will not be available again later, but who knows when that date will be, hopefully later this year. Something to do with parts. ( This info was provided by the FN Rep)

Hope some of this helps, if you have more Q's just ask.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch; 18 August 2008 at 10:08.
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I currently own, the Remingtin 870, Mossyberg 590, and FN SLP Mk1

Duty Shotgun is Benelli Nova ot Remington 870

Dutch
    So, you don't see the FN as being able to take on HD/SHTF roll?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never said that, nor meant to imply the idea.

Duty = what shot gun the boss bought me to carry and use

HD/SHTF = Mossberg 590 (shorter, and very solid) not detracting from the FN at all

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah sorry, I must have read too much into that.

I have thought about getting a pump-action and have looked into the 870P, 590A1, Nova and the SuperNova as well. I'll be the primary used of the gun but there is an off change the GF might have to use it. She's fivefootnothing and maybe 110 soaking wet. Now this is all speculation but, I'd be worried that she might short stroke it under pressure. She could also rest the gun against the bed so she's doesn't have to carry the weight. This would make using the pump a bit difficult.

That's one of the minor points that lead me to to where I am. Length, I would assume, would be moot?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jeffy,

I would never take length as being a "moot" point. If you would like you GF to use the weapon, for fun or protection you need to take her ability to handle and manipulate the controls nad features of the weapon you purchase. If it is too long,heavy, or requires higher level of skill to make work she will not be interested in it. I know you said you are will be the primary user, but if she is part of your equation you need to factor her into it.

Have you looked at the Mossy 930? Its a autoloader, 18.5 barrel, with the option to get a longer barrel. It might meet your requirements?

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Jeffy,

I would never take length as being a "moot" point. If you would like you GF to use the weapon, for fun or protection you need to take her ability to handle and manipulate the controls nad features of the weapon you purchase. If it is too long,heavy, or requires higher level of skill to make work she will not be interested in it. I know you said you are will be the primary user, but if she is part of your equation you need to factor her into it.

Have you looked at the Mossy 930? Its a autoloader, 18.5 barrel, with the option to get a longer barrel. It might meet your requirements?

Dutch
    What I meant was the difference between 22" and 18.5" (or 20" in the case of the 590A1).

I have looked into the 930 (first post) but from all accounts the FN is built better. And if there isn't that much of a difference in price then, why go with the lesser of the two?
    Last edited by jeffy; 18 August 2008 at 16:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jeffy,

Good luck on which ever shotgun you pickup. I am sure it will serve you well.

From what I have seen the FN will run you about $800 give or take

The mossberg should be closer to $500

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
    Is there anything else comparable to these? Mossberg 930 SPX seems to be a lesser to the FN. Cost wise, it's not much of a savings over the 22" MK1 that I've seen from Ray Tanners on Gun Broker.
    M24 is well experienced with the 930 SPX and has posted an extensive review here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...read.php?t=167

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read the first part of that review when it first appeared. Nit picky or not, I would have liked to seen a more critical review. I would have liked to have known where the money went, so to speak. The receiver seems to be aluminum like all of the other Mossbergs and has their advantages and shortcomings (which was mentioned). What about the internals? Do they show tool marks, are they gritty, etc... It was mentioned the safety was plastic and from the pictures it looked like the trigger housing was plastic as well. From that I'd guess it's more like a 500 then a 590A1, but is that true? I would have also liked to have seen it compared with others in the same market. Price-wise, the Mossberg seems to have them beat but really what's the best value (price vs quality).

I've seen the breakdowns between the 500 vs 590A1 and the Remington 870 Express vs. Marine vs. Police vs. Wingmaster. These breakdowns have made it easier to see what is a better value and helps explain where the money is going. As a result, it makes the choice much easier.

Is Benelli the best? Many seem to think so. FN's are just rebadged Winchesters. From my understanding anything tactical is pushed to the FN line-up. FN doesn't seem to have the brand recognition as Benelli does. Does this reflect in the price difference or is there a quality difference as well? Does the FN have better value because they are not as well known?

Also, can an autoloader be a dependable when used for HD? From reading the many different shotgun threads here and there, pumps seem to reign supreme. But one has to question why. Is it's because pumps are cheaper? I'm sure you get many who want a M4 but are only willing to pay for a Express which artificially tips the scale a bit. Even on Gunbroker, the Express covers the majority of the shogun section.

But I digress, what would you consider in my situation. Also, if anyone would like briefly to go in-depth with any particular model, please feel free to do so.

I should mention what I've found on pricing since that might change some things. The Benelli M2 Tactical price locally is around $1239. The M3 with the pistol grip stock is around $1339. The FN SLP MKI is $679. I haven't checked other shotguns though. The Mossberg 930 SPX has a MSRP of $667. I know the Remington 870 Police and Mossberg 590A1 are less.