I'm looking to buy my first shotgun. I've had some time behind a 870 Wingmaster and loved it. I loved it so much, I don't want to buy one. I'm thinking that I'd be better suited with a autoloader. So here's the criteria. I want something for HD/SHTF. I don't plan on clearing rooms at home but rather taking up a defensive stance if something goes bump in the night. I'd also like to be able to shot some clay. Not Sporting clay or trap. Just some backyard fun.

Whenever someone says shotgun, the first thing that pops into many minds is Benelli. I don't think I'll be getting a M4. I don't have to have everything the mil uses. I think a M2 or a M3 might be a good choice. What I'm worried about with the M2 is will it be able to feed the lighter loads OK. Also, will having a pistol grip stock affect the inertia system? I'm still not sure if I want a straight stock or a pistol grip stock. Pro's/Con's? I've never shot a shotgun with a pistol grip stock.

Now the other stick that comes up fairly often in 3-gun seems to be the FN SLP. How does it stack up to the Benelli's? IIRC, it's based off of the Winchester X2. Another thing to consider is price. I was told from a reseller that the SLP jumped in price significantly since early this year. There is the SLP MK1 which is a little different. I kinda like the 22" models with the 8+1+1 but that gooseneck rail, not so much. I prefer the ghost ring sights. I noticed that FN does not make a straight stock 22" SLP in the US but does for other markets. Seems strange. They do have a tactical in 22" though.

Is there anything else comparable to these? Mossberg 930 SPX seems to be a lesser to the FN. Cost wise, it's not much of a savings over the 22" MK1 that I've seen from Ray Tanners on Gun Broker.

I don't know much about the Remington 11-83. Is that comparable? Or should jump ship and just go with a Remington 870P or Mossberg 590A1....