Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Mods

Downloads
    Uploads

M&P Mods

I have acquired 2 M&P's in the last month on top of the little 22 i have had for a while.

I really like the ergo's of them compared to the glocks (still keeping them though..lol) But one thing that is really bugging me is the triggers out of the box on the m&P line seem to be crappy to say it the nicest..

I ended up with a slightly used fullsize fde 9mm (mid 2011 date code ) and brand new FS 45 model (2013 model) The 9's trigger is not as bad as the 45, but still not great. long gritty pull, no real noticeable reset.. the 45 trigger is really bad and feels like gravel..

Is everyone with the M&P's replacing parts with the apex parts or just dealing with it or DIY trigger/polish work?
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 12 February 2014 at 04:44.

Downloads
    Uploads

M&p mods

The trigger isn't that bad out of the box, I would describe the trigger out of the box to be like a sponge. I had no gritty feeling in my 9.

I followed a guide given to me by a staff member for the DIY job. I could tell the difference. Maybe that will clean up the grit feeling you are getting.
    I will use this pistol for 2-gun this year and determine if I should do the apex trigger after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have looked at this DIY job that was linked from burwell gunsmithing and have heard some decent reviews from people who have done it. Im not looking for uber low trigger pull, just a better feel thru the range, better reset and little lighter trigger pull would be nice.

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/Services.htm

..And to add the fullsize 9mm version's trigger isnt real gritty , but maybe spongy is a better way to put it.<but the FS 45 model is brand new out of the box and by far the worst trigger feel i have ever played with out of any gun i have had or shot, have ran about 200 snap cap pulls thru it and no difference, just horrible. Which sux as i like everything about the gun but the trigger right now.

Downloads
    Uploads

M&p mods

Try the DIY method see if it cleans any of the grittiness out of it. If not nothing lost except time and then you can pick up the apex kit. If you do get an apex kit post up a review please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two, a .45ACP and a .40, both full size. I have APEX FSS's in both. Really great, in my opinion. No take up, super fast reset, breaks like glass, at approx. 3.5 - 4lbs.
    I really like these, and I alternate carrying the .40 and a G19. If for some reason you can't use them, like a duty pistol or IDPA rules, they make other kits that will remove all of the "grit" and smooth things out. But yes, the triggers that come from S&W are pretty bad.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Well i have a chance to pick up a new apex dcaek kit for the 45 for 60 bux...thinking about it..very hard as their 90 bux at most places

Then will have to decide on what to do with the FS 9.

The carry kit i here is better off for carrying as depending on if you use the original or apex trigger spring trigger pull is right around 5 or slightly more with the other trigger. The 45 is a full size so not sure ill ever be carrying it, but want a better trigger out of it, havent actually fired it, just played around with some snap caps. but thinking for 60 bux i cant lose anything as everyone says great things about the apex parts and havent really heard a bad thing about there stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Modern Service Weapons has a lot of M&P mod info from Hilton Yam.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Well i have a chance to pick up a new apex dcaek kit for the 45 for 60 bux...thinking about it..very hard as their 90 bux at most places

I sincerely doubt that you'll be disappointed. The DCAEK kit, in my opinion, does greatly clean up your trigger, and there has been a lot of speculation and "leaked" rumors that Randy Lee of APEX was involved with S&W, to offer an factory upgrade to the DCAEK kit.

I don't know if that was B.S., and wishful thinking on the part of M&P fans, or if it's for real. The FSS will give you a trigger feel as close to a tuned 1911, as you'll probably ever get with a striker fired pistol. I never had a problem carrying a 1911 with a 4lb. trigger, as a SD weapon, but many do, and that and other factors like duty carry, etc..for those folks, I really think the DCAEK is the way to go, as far as APEX and ease of installation goes. A friend of mine uses them, and I've probably put 50 - 100 rounds through his 9mm FS, and it just makes me wonder what S&W was thinking with their choice of "triggers".

Good Luck,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a dcaek kit on the way for the FS 45. $60 shipped, which seemed like a great price so i jumped on it. Well see how i like it. Might install just the sear first to see how much difference it makes. Although i wish i had a trigger guage just to see where it's at before and after the mods.

Then will decide what to do with the FS 9mm, whchc seems to have a slightly better trigger then the 45, but still lacks..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought when I first handled the FS M&P 9 that it sucked, especially since I suck with a G17. Then I took one to the range and did phenomenal with it. Shows what I know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So back to this briefly..

Reading around more it seems that with the DCAEK kit using the supplied Apex trigger spring will make the trigger pull 5.5 - 6 lbs. While reusing the stock trigger spring will get you down below a 5 lb pull.

Anyone confirm this that has done these kits?

I dont own a trigger pull guage , but this project and others to come have me thinking of grabbing one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't measured the results, but I can confirm using the stock trigger return spring with the DCAEK resulted in a slightly lighter trigger pull in my three examples.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

More and more i read on these apex parts, the more im looking at using a AEK trigger with this kit, reviews and videos look great with very little pre tavel and next to none over travel..

Also got me thinking the 9mm i have might get the FSS kit..humm..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just trade me the other M&P ... you don't need this kind of project.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Thanks

More and more i read on these apex parts, the more im looking at using a AEK trigger with this kit, reviews and videos look great with very little pre tavel and next to none over travel..

Also got me thinking the 9mm i have might get the FSS kit..humm..
    Anyone have any comments on the aek trigger kit ?

Also how bad are the stock sights pressed in there, dont have the extra $$ for a sight tool so will be using some punches....how bad are they in or is a sight tool absolutely necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Just trade me the other M&P ... you don't need this kind of project.