Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Mods

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may want to contact 10-8 Peformance about whether you'll need a sight tool. I personally have no experience with removing them on a M&P.

Downloads
    Uploads
    10-8 has nothing to do with anything here.

Was just wondering how hard the rears are usually in,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post

Mustang, on my .40 I removed it twice, once for the FSS install, and again to change them out to TFO's with a punch. Came out and went in fairly easily. When I did the .45, I expected everything would take an hour, at most. No way. I couldn't budge the sights without hitting them a lot harder than I wanted too, and I certainly wasn't going to take a chance breaking the tritium gas vials, to install the TFO's that I put on that one. Had to borrow a sight pusher from a friend.

So, I guess my point is - there's no telling. My guess is that just a few thousandths, either way, makes a big difference.

Good luck,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Mustangfreek- I replaced my front sight on my 9c with a Dawson fiber optic. I easily drifted it out with the aluminum tool from Dawson. I didn't install my rear so I cannot pass on first-hand experience with it. I've also installed both sights on my HK and drifted both of these with the same Dawson punch FWIW. It's just an aluminum bar with a "notch" to fit on the front sight base.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think he's concerned with the rears, mostly. Rear sight has to be removed to install AEK kit.

FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I think he's concerned with the rears, mostly. Rear sight has to be removed to install AEK kit.

FT.

Yes the rears is where im worried, some say , they come out no problem, others say there like welded in there with extra loctite..Guess its just the luck of the draw. Hate to start a project and get stuck..

Downloads
    Uploads

Just figured that they would have decent info since they make M&P rear sights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes the rears is where im worried, some say , they come out no problem, others say there like welded in there with extra loctite..Guess its just the luck of the draw. Hate to start a project and get stuck..
    Well, like I mentioned in an earlier reply, it seems you got the same answers, as I experienced. One set tapped out with a punch, another, I had to use a sight pusher...Only one way to find out....

Good Luck
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Well, like I mentioned in an earlier reply, it seems you got the same answers, as I experienced. One set tapped out with a punch, another, I had to use a sight pusher...Only one way to find out....

Good Luck
    FT
    Indeed and last night i found out...The older 9mm one came out pretty easy, the newer 45 one took a little more effort, using some masking tape and a brass and nylon tip punch it came out, with no harm done...

Also the front mp 22 front sight came out and got the new dawson precision fiber optic front site fitted and temporarily installed.

Waiting on a small order from midway for some loctite, a poly Apex AEK trigger for the dcaek kit and some flitz polish, gonna polish up the internals of the 45 with apex kit a little, and do a DIY polish job on a few parts on the 9 while i got the others apart, gonna hit the striker block, check and poilsh if need be the bore for it, the trigger bar and slightly shape the sear and polish it. Just a little cleanup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have any comments on the aek trigger kit ?

Also how bad are the stock sights pressed in there, dont have the extra $$ for a sight tool so will be using some punches....how bad are they in or is a sight tool absolutely necessary?

I see you already figured out the rear sight removal. My FS and compact were easy to remove, the Shield was a chrome plated bitch.

I'm a big fan of the poly AEK trigger, I have one in each of the two larger M&Ps. I personally don't have much interest in the FSS trigger, I'm not comfortable with it for non-game usage - but that's just me. The Shield will get a poly AEK if and when Apex gets around to making one, I really don't have interest in an aluminum AEK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update:

Just installed my AEK trigger kit in my FS 9mm and after a little burwell diy mod on the sear and polishing of it the striker plunger, trigger bar. along with a apex striker plunger spring , the trigger feels way better then before. Less pre and over travel, reset is still a little soft, but it is a older gun with the older slide stop, trigger bar etc..as i cant find them in stock anywhere?

Wondering if the ram is worth it to ad, havent shot it yet, so suppose i should try it out first.

Also installed the dcaek kit in my fs 45 and it feels way better,also polished up the sear, trigger bar and sear spring plunger, re used the factory trigger and sear springs as the gun is brand new, trigger feels way better thru and after the pull, still not much reset. now thinking it needs a aek trigger also.

By the descriptions and apex tacticals replies the dcaek kit trigger should be in the mid 4lb range, and the 9mm trigger feels slightly better, but also believe that has to do with the AEK trigger.

Very happy so far and now need to get out and shoot them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The RAM is a worthy addition in my opinion. I've installed 5 of the DCAEK on M&P's. When they released the RAM I tried it and then went back and installed it on all the other pistols. It gives a much more positive reset, not Glock like, but much better than the almost non-existent reset from before. As for the trigger weight all of the pistols I've installed it on measure in the 5-5.5 pound range just like APEX states except for a M&P 45 which measures about 4.5 lbs. Those weights are with the supplied springs, using the stock springs should result in a slightly lighter weight IIRC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not all the M&Ps accept the RAM from Apex. the newer sear housing blocks don't have the hole in them for it. I was playing with my FS9 last night adding a new slide stop bar (newest revision) and decided to try some different combos of the Trigger Return Spring.

my M&P has the DCAEK and aluminum trigger with the competition Striker spring. pull avg about 5.5 lbs on a basic wheeler pull gauge. (spent the lyman money on the DCAEK :) )

swapping to the competition trigger return spring averaged a 3.5 lbs trigger pull.

swapping the stock trigger return spring in netted a 4.25 lbs trigger pull.

never tested the fully stock trigger pull myself but was told mine with just the alumiinum trigger was right at 6 lbs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally got out to try out the 9mm m&p with the Apex AEk poly trigger and my own burwell DIY trigger job, with one of Apex's plunger springs, it is night and day for what little i did and the trigger really helps out .

Just got a few mags ran thru it, but like it so far. Money well spent in my opinion, and a must as that hinged trigger just bugged me..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone have the most recent M&P9 with new slide stop, trigger bar assemblies, and sear? I would like to see it compared to a M&P9 with upgrades from APEX.