Downloads
    Uploads

Mega Arms Megalithic

One of the new products at this year’s SHOT show that I was super excited to see was the Mega Arms “Megalithic” upper receiver. So when I got one in my hands a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t wait to build it up. (Reality check: Sick kids and a busy work schedule delayed my fun.) The President’s Day holiday gave me just enough free time to get the job done.

The unique reversible leveling unit is the designed feature that really sets the Megalithic apart from previous products. The spring loaded level stows and deploys easily with a twist of the finger.

For this build I used one of the Rainier Arms 16 inch Select MEDCON barrels. It has a mid-length gas system and is made of blackened 416R stainless steel.

The barrel comes with a dimple for a gas block screw opposite of the gas port. It’s not possible to pin a gas block when using barrels with pistol, carbine, or mid-length gas systems in the Megalithic.

Even though the gas block in this build will live within the protection of the Megalithic’s rails, I always like to make the gas block as secure as possible. So I drilled deeper dimples for both screws of the gas block.

With that accomplished, it was time to install the barrel and barrel nut. This must be done prior to installing the gas block. Tightening the nut was easily achieved using the provided barrel nut wrench and my Snap-On torque wrench.

The next step was to install the gas tube into the gas block. The gas system assembly was then installed on the upper.

The gas block screws were installed through the port cut into the bottom rail of the Megalithic. There are two more ports for barrels with carbine and pistol length gas systems.

With the barrel and gas system installed, it was simple to add a muzzle device, BCG, and charging handle to complete the Megalithic upper.

It looks great mounted to my Mega Arms billet lower. Now I just need to select an optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice, has Mega released anything on the pricing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome looking build. Can't go wrong with Mega. We just got our hands on a .308... Gonna be epic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That turned out pretty good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mega Arms will be making a MATEN version as well. Here's the information I have on pricing:

MATEN MEGALITHIC
    MTS-4440-SA (upper/lower set) $1146 MSRP
    MTS-4440 (upper only) $808

AR-15 MEGALITHIC
    MTS-300-V3 (mid length quad) $615 MSRP
    MTS-340 (mid length keymod) $654 MSRP
    MTS-400-V3 (rifle length quad) $692 MSRP
    MTS-440 (rifle length key mod) $731 MSRP

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    are they going to continue making the MKMs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The pricing is not that bad considering my last MUR-1A and MK4 ran me $525. I am surprised to see the keymod run more than the quad though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    TripleBravo do you know if the mid length will be short enough to run with a 10.5" barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cst View Post
    are they going to continue making the MKMs?
    Yes, this is not replacing the MKM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear that. I haven't decided which I like better between the MKM and Megalithic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Megalithic should be starting to ship this next week. Rainier Arms will have the first batch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perfect timing I've been wanting to do a monolithic build. What sizes are they planning on releasing?

Edit: Never mind, just saw TripleBravo's post.
    Last edited by Deckard; 21 April 2014 at 22:00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mega Arms finally released the spec sheet on the Megalithic. Interesting item of note is that both the MATEN and AR15 versions are only offered in Rifle lengths right now. No word on when other lengths will be available.

FEATURES:

• Our all new MTS (Megalithic Tactical System) upper has been designed for a truly unique look unlike any of our competitors.
    • Cutting edge new integrated leveling system (patent pending), placed between the upper receiver and hand-guard rails.
    • Includes steel inserted QD sockets in two locations.
    • Compatible with all standard KeyMod accessories.
    • Compatible with std. Mil-Spec components.
    • Comes standard with laser engraved “T” numbers.
    • Lug Angle at the shell deflector has been altered to 60.0° for increased effectiveness.
    • Machined with M4 feed ramps.
    • Included: Upper receiver, dust cover door, forward assist, one keymod rail, barrel nut & barrel nut wrench.
    • Offered ONLY in Rifle Length at this time.

Specifications:

Black hard anodized with a surface hardness of 60 Rockwell.
    Machined from billet 7075-T6 aluminum vs. the more commonly used 6061 for a 70% increase in strength.
    Weight: MTS-440 (Rifle Length) 22.3 oz
    Part# MTS-440 M.S.R.P. $669

MATEN Version:

Weight: MTS-4440 (Rifle Length) 26.1 oz
    Part# MTS-4440 M.S.R.P. $731