Downloads
    Uploads

How much does a forearm/handguard affect accuracy?

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question. I understand the relationship between a rifle stock, a barrel/action, and accuracy on bolt actions and my beloved Ruger No. 1's. I don't understand it much in the AR.

I've got a few quite accurate Bravo AR's with Larue quad rails, but have gotten to where I am really liking something leaner. My forearms may have a light and a QD sling attachment, but nothing else.

Is an AR's accuracy (particularly as it heats up) primarily a function of the barrel/trigger ... or does the handguard influence it much?

For instance, a free-float handguard I really like also happens to be on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Does the more expensive end of the free-float spectrum offer "more" in terms of accuracy, or just things like strength, anti-rotation, innovation?

Specifically am looking at the CMMG Revo Key Mod stuff. Knowing that Noveske and Geisselle offer stuff that is similar, and more expensive.

Sorry if it's a dumb or poorly phrased question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think what you're asking is... is a higher end, more expensive handguard going to give you more accuracy vs a cheaper one?

Sounds like you want to go with the CMMG Keymod rail, but are considering Noveske or Geissele rails as you may squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them?

Is that where you are going with it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes! Sorry, yesterday was a mind numbing kind of day. Pondering on this, I think the answer is that a free float forearm should have no effect on accuracy, so long as it is stable. The rest is personal preference.
    Last edited by Flatlander; 19 February 2014 at 06:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're on the right track. As long as you get a decent free float forearm, it should not have any effect on your accuracy.

In my opinion and experience, the biggest factors when it comes to accuracy will be:

1. Barrel
    2. Ammo
    3. Trigger

And of course the biggest one, the shooter. You can have the best of the best on 1-3, and even the best handguard, but if you're a 2-4 MOA shooter like me, you likely won't get every drop of accuracy out of all of your equipment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey! I can shoot MOA! When I haven't had lunch, supper, caffeine, sugar, the wind isn't blowing, and I am not laying in grass burrs. That is about one day a year! But that one day a year, I FEEL it!

Thanks for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    Hey! I can shoot MOA! When I haven't had lunch, supper, caffeine, sugar, the wind isn't blowing, and I am not laying in grass burrs. That is about one day a year! But that one day a year, I FEEL it!

Thanks for the help.
    LOL... well I find most guys can shoot more accurately than I can. I've always been taught to shoot minute of man. I've tried to bench rest shoot a few times, but match ammo is expensive!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My friends say I shoot like I'm playing a video game. I really like shooting cow manure, don't knock it till you try it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    LOL... well I find most guys can shoot more accurately than I can. I've always been taught to shoot minute of man. I've tried to bench rest shoot a few times, but match ammo is expensive!
    Reload and match ammo is not that bad, cuts the cost easily in half.. just your time..