Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New BCM KMR Mid first impressions

I received my long awaited Bravo Company 16in. Lightweight w/KMR 13" hand guard. My first impression was....stunned, honestly, that's the only way I can describe it. The diminutive size, compared to railed hand guards, and the weight, just made me stand back in awe. Lighter and thinner was what I was going for, and I got that in spades! This thing is LIGHT. I can't give you a weight, all I had was bathroom scales that won't weight anything under 5 or 6lbs, and BCM's website doesn't give any specifications as far as weight. But with the thin profile barrel and aluminum/magnesium alloy that the hand guard is made of, and lack of all those rails, make it a lightweight. All of those holes machined out also serves to make this thing light.
    I did have my dial calipers available, though. This complete upper is 1.5 in's, and a few thousands wide, at the widest point,
    and almost exactly 2.0 inches from the bottom to the top of one rail on top of the upper. Included, besides the regular s.w.a.g. BCM includes (another hat, RECOIL magazine, more EWL and a bunch of stickers) they also include a couple of short KMR rails, one about an 1.5 inches, and another about 3.5". I'm still waiting on some parts to get here to complete the lower, and I'll be testing a new NiB BCU from Rainier (Compared to NiB's from Spikes and Fail Zero.) These photos are really poor, and don't do it much justice, as I don't have the gear or knowhow to take quality photo's, but I'm hoping they'll at least give you an idea of the size and scale of this upper. Price direct from BCM is $805 plus shipping.
    First pic is of upper, and another compared to a BCM 16in. Lightweight with Centurion rails, hopefully to demonstrate how slim this thing is.

Compared to BCM Lighweight Centurion rail:

And Front to Rear view:

Hope to give a more thorough review when new intended lower is complete, and I can get to the range. The only added weight to upper will be a KMR QD sling swivel mount from Impact Arms, a polymer Hand stop kit from Noveske, MBUS sights, and Aimpoint PRO. I want this to be quick handling and lightweight, and I don't think I'll be disappointed. Can't wait.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 22 February 2014 at 20:50.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fixed the pics for you FT. Thanks for the review!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool review. Why the Noveske kit and not the BCM?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Cool review. Why the Noveske kit and not the BCM?
    Actually didn't see BCM had one available. The Noveske, is polymer and sectional, like Magpul shown above, on one of my rifles, and adjustable for length. The hand stop Impact makes is just that, a hand stop, made from metal, aluminum, I'm assuming. I will add the sections to the desired length for my hand or glove to slide on. And the polymer probably doesn't weigh much more than an ounce.
    If I find I don't like it, I'll check out BCM, and take another look at the Impact.
    Last edited by FortTom; 21 February 2014 at 12:50.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kinda wish we hadn't asked you for a review FT, I'm getting a little more jealous. $805 for that upper is awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up my own BCM KMR rail today. Just the 13" rail, not the complete upper. This was more of an impulse buy. I saw the rail, didn't have any plans or builds to put it on, but I wanted to see the rail for myself. I didn't think that it would be this light, but it's freakishly lightweight. My scale says 5.45oz without the mounting hardware.

If I didn't know it was an aluminum/magnesium blend, I would have thought just by the texture it was some kind of polymer. I'm not sure I'll be using this rail on any builds soon, as I don't have any planned, but I'll be anxious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this rail system as they get into more hands.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I got 13" KMR yesterday. Crazy light, isn't it.

I didn't intend to open the box until I was ready to put an upper together, suspecting what might happen if I handled the rail. But my UPS driver, who is an AR guy, said he knew who was getting the big BCM box when it loaded on his truck. We had to fondle the KMR before he could drive off.

Then today, I needed a Keymod rail section to mount an AFG on a 9" Force rail. The Force ships without a Pictanny section - my only complaint so far. It wouldn't be an issue of Magpul got on the bandwagon, but that's another story. I borrowed a section from the KMR, but that meant I had to handle it again. Oops.

My need to get an upper assembled has been cemented. I have a DD lightweight barrel, Aero slick upper, AFAB comp and spacers, BCM BCG and Gunfighter Mod 4 lying around. Sounds like an afternoon project to get it ready for pinning, but I wanted to build a light box and get Evolution-quality photos before I started assembly. We'll see if it happens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you guys thought the guard was light, you should have been there when I pulled out the whole upper, with the light barrel, the upper actually felt strange, when I pulled it out of the box.

Keep us posted on your progress, as you piece together new weapons.

Waiting on my AD mount for the Aimpoint P.R.O. and mine's finished.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 6 March 2014 at 05:14.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    RR,

It is crazy light as you said. I still can't get over how light this rail feels. Down the road when I decide to build this up, I'll probably do it with a LW barrel and see what the weight is overall with the rail. The instructions are probably the most specific and comprehensive I've seen for a rail. I might have to do an installation guide on it sometime as well.

I'm guessing some of you will have your KMR built up a lot sooner than mine, but I may just slap this one on that NiB Rainier Arms gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen some keymod rails that use the keymod holes as QD mounts. Do all keymod holes do this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, it's not part of the keymod spec. It's also questionable when they try to make each keymod into a qd socket because it only has coverage on 2/3 of the qd circumference, which means at least one of the bearings isn't contacting anything.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Slippers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually had to buy a QD attachment from Knights Armament for mine. Small, light, and overpriced, IMO. Others were sold out.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    RR,

It is crazy light as you said. I still can't get over how light this rail feels. Down the road when I decide to build this up, I'll probably do it with a LW barrel and see what the weight is overall with the rail. The instructions are probably the most specific and comprehensive I've seen for a rail. I might have to do an installation guide on it sometime as well.

I'm guessing some of you will have your KMR built up a lot sooner than mine, but I may just slap this one on that NiB Rainier Arms gun.
    UWone77,
    If you do put that on that NiB gun, post it up...I've been following that project, and frankly, thinking of ripping you off for your idea...., but truly, I think that would be an awesome finishing touch. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anybody know the KMR will fit around a can ?