Downloads
    Uploads

Sig Sauer 716 Patrol Rifle in FDE

The Sig Sauer 716 is a semi-automatic, short-stroke pushrod, rotating bolt AR platform in 7.62x51mm NATO – piston operation versus direct gas impingement. Non-NFA offerings include the Patrol Rifle in Black, FDE, and ODG; the DMR and 3 Gun Heavy in Black. This review is the Sig 716 Patrol Rifle in FDE.

Specifications from the Sig Web Site:

Overall Length 38.3 in - 31.1 in / 972.8 mm - 789.9 mm
    Trigger Type MIL-SPEC
    Trigger Weight 7.6 lbs
    Barrel Length 16.0 in / 457.2 mm
    Rifling 1 : 10 / 25.4 mm : 254 mm
    Number of Grooves 6
    Weight w/out Mag 9.3 lbs / 4.22 kg
    Mag Capacity 20 Rounds
    Mag Type MagPul P-Mag
    Accessory Rail Yes
    Features Flat dark earth finish, Short stroke pushrod operating system with 4 position gas valve, Quick-Detachable Ambi-Sling Mounts, Flip-Up Front and Rear Iron Sights, Ambidextrous Magazine Release
    A piston 7.62 was chosen over direct impingement strictly on personal choice for this platform. I won’t debate the two in this review. I have both action types in two other calibers, and have no issues with either as to functional reliability. Some of the current offerings in piston 308’s are the Sig 716, the LWRC REPR and Ruger’s SR-762. Street price for the Ruger is a little less than the Sig, the LWRC is substantially higher. All three offerings have a gas valve with multiple positions, but the Ruger’s operating rod and spring are not readily user serviceable – the Sig 716 and LWRC are easily removed/cleaned/repaired/replaced. I don’t anticipate this being an issue for me, but maybe for the great grand kids. I will have a spare op-rod and spare springs.

I had been discussing the acquisition of a 308 AR platform with GriffonSec, specifically the Ruger – pros and cons. He suggested I look at the Sig as the two are close enough in price to be considered comparable. I took his advice.

While I will probably not put a suppressor on this rifle, I do shoot reloads and the multi-position gas valve is a plus to me. Unlike Sig’s DMR and 3 Gun Heavy which “appear” to have a Mid-Gas system (based strictly on observation of the rail length and gas block position) on an 18” barrel, the Patrol is a carbine length gas system on a 16” barrel with a 7.5” rail. For this rifle I don’t require the real estate provided by a longer rail, but I would have liked to have the mid-gas. The Ruger has a mid-gas system, but the serviceability was a little more important to me at an acceptable price-point.

I have deliberately over-sized some of the photographs for clarity. If you click them, you should see them full size.

As delivered

The barrel appears un-tapered under the forend, and is turned down slightly just past the gas block. A small lip protrudes where the gas block attaches, and mic’s at .750 – forward of that mic’s at .726 all the way to the A2 style flash suppressor. I have a Lantac DGN762B Dragon Muzzle Brake on order. I had hoped to comment on it here, but they are not shipping yet.

The Sig 716 Patrol Rifle came with a MagPul FDE MOE Grip and an FDE ACS stock. The coloring of the finish on the receiver set and rails is a good match to the MagPul furniture. The rails are “T” marked, but not in white. The markings are easily seen, but do not stand out like they do “white on black”.

Apparently, Sig installs the ACS stock exactly as it comes from MagPul. I opened the storage compartment to get the reversible QD slug and there were two MagPul 5.56 Dummy Rounds in there as well. The buffer tube is six position and “mil-spec” in diameter.

It came with the obligatory lock, a black sling with QD Swivels, three Ergo FDE ladder style rail covers, an owner’s manual, a broken chamber flag, sample size MilComm grease, and one MagPul 20 round magazine. Surprisingly, it also came with a complete GI cleaning kit in an OD Canvas Snap Pouch with an Alice Clip.

The supplied magazine packaging is different from the MagPul retail packaging. The wrapper is brown versus grey, and the lettering is also different. The supplied magazine does come with the snap-on dust cover like Gen-3 magazines.

Magazine Package Markings

Shipped with the Sig 716:
    MAG PMAG 20 LR
    20rd SR25
    M00-13F07A
    MAG 243-BLK

Retail Packaging:
    PMAG 20 LR/SR
    GEN-M3
    MOO-14A08A
    MAG 291-BLK

Both lock in, feed as expected, and drop free empty. The difference may be that MagPul ships an OEM version to firearm manufacturers.

The Sig 716 has multiple QD sling attachment points – two machined into the rail on each side, one at the rear of the lower receiver, plus the reversible QD slug that came with the ACS stock.

Iron sights supplied are reminiscent of the Troy Battle Sights with H-K style ears on the front sight. They are not spring loaded and push into place with a detent holding them in the up or down position. The owner’s manual specifies the click values – a nice thing to know, but there are rounding errors in their table. For example, 1 click of windage moves POI 0.4cm at 25 meters. You would think doing it twice would move it 0.8cm but the table value shown is 0.9cm. Evaluating their four entry table shows the actual movement is 0.45cm or 0.177 inches per click. This may not seem like much, but could be confusing to someone just looking at the manual. I am a fan of the H-K style front sight.

An ambidextrous magazine release is standard issue on the Sig 716, and the front of the lower receiver has grooving on it for grip if you use the magwell versus a rail mounted gripping device.

The bolt carrier has the “key” milled as part of the carrier, not a bolt on part. The carrier is also larger at the back, and tapered slightly at the end to help with any carrier bounce issues. The body mic's at .936 and the rear at .951. The buffer is marked H2. The lower receiver has a spring loaded pin under the rear take-down lug; a very strong spring. This provides a lot of upward pressure on that take-down lug.

Factory specs on the trigger state 7.6 pounds. A Lyman Digital gauge averaged it at 7 pounds 6.5 ounces with ten pulls.

Things I changed on the Sig 716:

Wilson TTU – I am more proficient as a benchrest shooter than “combat” shooter, and I want to give the rifle a chance to show what it can do. The Wilson TTU also has an acceptable reputation as a “serious” trigger. I have one on the LE-6920 and like it.

MagPul FDE VFG-2 – easily swapped with a Yankee Hill Machine bi-pod adapter and Harris bi-pod.

LaRue FDE rail clips for the side and bottom rails. I like the grip and they do not add a lot of diameter.

MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard (aluminum) – I do shoot with gloves when off the bench.

A Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 50mm AO Matte Target already leveled in a LaRue SPR/M4 Scope Mount LT-104 was pulled from a Rainier SPR Ultra-Match. Even with a 16” barrel the 7.62 is a thumper at distance. This will let me see the accuracy potential of the rifle.

Just to repeat, I will swap the A2 flash suppressor with the Lantac Dragon when it arrives.

I had hoped to have a range report as part of this review, but weather and work have not cooperated. I will update the thread when I get to shoot it.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was a great review. I know there's been some interest in Sig 716 Rifles on the local board I frequent as they've been on sale lately. What's the MSRP on these guns? I look forward to the update when you throw the Lantac on there.

Awesome shot of the rifle on the last picture Jerry!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Sir. MSRP is $2,186 for black, and $2,252 for ODG and FDE. Street price seems to vary a lot.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the Lantac Dragon is on ----------- but not for long. Couple of reasons, primarily because I have an AAC 762-SD in NFA Jail and just received a BattleComp 51.30 muzzle device. Secondarily, the entire sight picture is completely obscured by the fireball each shot!! I now know why they call it "Dragon". I hope to go back up to GriffonSec's during the holidays. If I can, I will get some night shots of the Dragon, then swap it out for the BattleComp and do more night shots for comparison.

The Dragon:

The 51.30 from BattleComp:

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice Jerry. I'm jealous of the 51.30 comp!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I hope it does as well on the 30 caliber platform as it does on the 5.56.

Interesting side note. Son was shooting the 716 with the Dragon; I was standing to his seven o'clock some ten feet away. About a second after each shot, I felt a rush of warm air like a fan. The Dragon's design does work. But that fireball was something else. The muzzle stayed on target, but you couldn't see it through the scope at any magnification.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor