Thread: Muzzle Brakes

Downloads
    Uploads

Muzzle Brakes

I've only used muzzle brakes on 2 rifles, both large bore hunting rifles, and believe me, they didn't make me many friends at the range (outdoor). These were old school (I can't remember the company) but basically just had a bunch of holes EDM'd around them from front to rear. People three benches on either side would complain. And I guess the muzzle blast was unbearable, even for folks with muffs, several feet away.

I'm thinking of buying a muzzle brake, one that was reviewed here, but have never used one on a 5.56 rifle before. I'm wondering if any of the newer models, and the "intricate" patterns of slots, holes, etc., make them any more tolerable. Some shooting will be done at an indoor range, and some at an outdoor range, where I should be able to get in during early afternoon week day's with few other's shooting.

I'm assuming that muzzle blast will still be a problem when shooting with others stationed left and right of me, but curious as to how bad it would be with a 5.56, vs. a large bore big game bolt gun.

Thanks ahead,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a Rainier xtc on both a 308 and 5.56 and the blast is there but not overwhelming in my opinion. I don't think either generate as much as my 7mm mag without a brake. I think their benefits outweigh the blast, at least for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Auxetik and Lantac Dragon have both been getting great reviews. The Auxetik is expensive but is pretty intricate due to being 3D printed. My new build has a AFAB on it, it's very similar to a Battlecomp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jymbeux View Post
    I've got a Rainier xtc on both a 308 and 5.56 and the blast is there but not overwhelming in my opinion. I don't think either generate as much as my 7mm mag without a brake. I think their benefits outweigh the blast, at least for me.
    had one of these on a 20" 5.56 build myself...I wouldn't say I got "complaints" about it, but people definitely let me know that they were aware of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I now someone on here that has probably ran every brake available..lol

I have 2 rainier xtc's on 2 different builds and although there a little loud, i wouldnt say that bad, compared to a few others, and for the price poijnt i think they do what there expected.

I have patiently been waiting to try out the new rainier RAC comp or a VG6 epsilon and no luck on either..Just about to stick on a A2 for now to get my build done......Shameless plug.. anyone got a extra A2 flashhider/crush washer laying around they dont want ? ..lol tired of waiting to get this build done..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read here
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/...ce-comparison/

If you reduce blast or flash, you reduce effectiveness. It's just the way these things work. There ain't no free lunch.

Brakes are fine for run-n-gun 3-gun matches where you're doing virtually all of your shooting standing on your hind legs, but here again is a situation where a good shooter with an A2 birdcage is going to shoot faster than a mediocre shooter with a brake.

I was in a Kyle Lamb class a couple of years ago where I shot the 1-5 and 2x2x2 drills faster than anyone else in the class, all with a flash hider, while many other shooters had brakes.

Oh, and with a TA33 which everyone tells me is no good at close range. Video of the 1-5 here. You can see how the gun is moving in my hands, which would have been reduced with a brake, but you can also see that with good technique it doesn't matter.
    http://youtu.be/vHyhZQ65K6s
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    And here's a similar drill, without the target-To-target transitions, but with a 14.5" mid length gun with a PWS brake. You can see how much less the gun moves, but that the results that matter (hits and time) aren't really affected much.

All shots at 5 yards, 10 shots per string
    First string is 2" circle
    Second string is 4" circle
    Third string is 8" circle

http://youtu.be/MgvOMJan2d8
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I now someone on here that has probably ran every brake available..lol

I have 2 rainier xtc's on 2 different builds and although there a little loud, i wouldnt say that bad, compared to a few others, and for the price poijnt i think they do what there expected.

I have patiently been waiting to try out the new rainier RAC comp or a VG6 epsilon and no luck on either..Just about to stick on a A2 for now to get my build done......Shameless plug.. anyone got a extra A2 flashhider/crush washer laying around they dont want ? ..lol tired of waiting to get this build done..
    Mustang, I'm going to order a VG6 in the morning (Monday), if they have them in stock.....Don't have an extra hanging around, but might have one soon, if the Epsilon is in stock. I'll check back with you then if you just want a run of the mill birdcage that BCM puts on their barrels. On second thought, I might know someone who does. I'll PM you if they do.
    Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Mustang, I'm going to order a VG6 in the morning (Monday), if they have them in stock.....Don't have an extra hanging around, but might have one soon, if the Epsilon is in stock. I'll check back with you then if you just want a run of the mill birdcage that BCM puts on their barrels. On second thought, I might know someone who does. I'll PM you if they do.
    Thanks,
    FT
    Thanks FT, let me know if you do.

Although a good member might be hooking me up with something else, i always like a back up plan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are good links Rob, thanks for sharing.

My experiences are very similar, brakes certainly feel more planted, but when I compare splits and hits between them and flash surpressors I've found the results to be very linear. Along those same lines, running a course of fire there are just too many other variables to say that any given time was completely due to a specific muzzle device. I like this because I'm not a fan or blast or fireballs, while I AM a fan of the "hidy-ness" of flash surpressors.

My favorite device is the Micor flash surpressor. (Yes, that's Micor, not micro). I first shot one several years ago and it's remained a favorite ever since despite time behind other common favorites. A couple weeks ago I got to shoot a 10.5" barrel AR during which time we took the opportunity to test out a few different devices. The goal was to find something to tame the flash and blast off such a short barrel, with a side goal of seeing if any would help keep the muzzle planted. We tried an A2, a PWS Triad, a RA XTC, and a Micor. The expectation was that the XTC would keep things the most stable by probably a decent margin, while the Triad would be the best at killing flash due to it being a pronged flash surpressor. The XTC did in fact keep things the most planted, but only barely as the Micor did a very good job as well. When it came to flash suppression, the Micor out performed the other 3, to include the Triad pronged device.

There's a review on the Micor somewhere here on WEVO, but it would take some digging to find as it's a couple years old.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aragorn,

I purchased (back ordered) an Epsilon V6G muzzle brake today. From the reviews and you tube videos, it looks good. A hybrid, with prongs on front to keep muzzle flash down. Video in dark looks good. We'll see.... may be money wasted, but if it performs like the videos, which I hope are not doctored, I might buy a couple more.

I am, however, very familiar with humongous muzzle flash, and blast akin to a M80 going off inches in front of your face, from big bore hunting rifles using muzzle brakes , like yourself right, I'm not a big fan either.

This new gun, though, is so light, that today on it's maiden voyage to the range, it was hard for me to hold rapid fire 10 shot strings, on target at 10 yards. I'm getting a little older, and aches, pains and vision aren't what it was even 5 years ago, much less 10 or 20. So, if it works as advertised, I'll be delighted. If not, it can go into the "crap" pile that I've accumulated over the last 40 - 45 years.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, though. Especially recommending a good flash hider. Seems like everyone's happy with a plain ol' military style birdcage. I know for a fact that there are much better flash hiders out there, but you have to get off your wallet a bit to own one.
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT did you ever get that VG6 Epsilon in? If you did how about a review.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    FT did you ever get that VG6 Epsilon in? If you did how about a review.
    Sure did, GOST. As a matter of fact I bought two of the three that the dealer had. I'm planning to put one on the rifle that I built around a BCM KMR Light weight upper, and saving one for the new rifle I'm building, with the 1lb. 3oz. barrel and MI SSK hand guard, a sort of Uber lightweight. The lighter I build them the harder they are for me to handle them, rapid fire drills, now days. I still haven't gotten one on a rifle and to the range for a test yet, I've been up to my butt in alligators, and going in too many directions at once to get things done. I hope to have one on the KMR rifle next week. The "Voodoo" gun won't be done for a while, when I can get all the parts sorted, tagged and off to cerekote and camo dipping. Hope to have one at the range within a week or so. There was a youtube video on here, I believe, it wasn't very long but it (the Epsilon) looked good in the video. I especially liked the subdued flash, that I would never have dreamed they could have achieved with a muzzle brake/ flash hider combo. I still have to prove that one to myself.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interested to hear what you think of the epsilon, thinking of swapping one of my old xtc brakes to one of the stainless VG6 brakes for my SPR rifle.

I did recently get one of the new RAC comps from rainier, and from the little i got to try it out last week it seemed to work as good or better then the XTC they use to offer, and at $65 bux i feel its a good deal for what it is..

One of these days id still like to try a battlecomp , but havent ponied up for one yet..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Interested to hear what you think of the epsilon, thinking of swapping one of my old xtc brakes to one of the stainless VG6 brakes for my SPR rifle.

I did recently get one of the new RAC comps from rainier, and from the little i got to try it out last week it seemed to work as good or better then the XTC they use to offer, and at $65 bux i feel its a good deal for what it is..

One of these days id still like to try a battlecomp , but havent ponied up for one yet..lol
    Hey, MF. I hope to get at least one mounted soon. Currently, time to get things done is holding me back. I would like to have one mounted and to the range within a week or so. Due to a local range closing, and logistical problems, the first round of testing will have to be at an indoor range. But at least I can see how much it helps, or doesn't, keep on target, rapid fire.

I'd love to get it to my bud's farm where I can make the "tests" a little more hard core, and also shoot at night to gauge the flash hiding abilities, with the hybrid prongs. That should be interesting.

Thanks,

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 16 April 2014 at 20:37. Reason: typo's/grammatical errors
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger