Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eotech vs Aimpoint?

First, I like both the Eotech and the Aimpoint and would buy either depending on the theater of action I anticipated taking the sight into.

For my current situation (Law Enforcement) I decided to plunk down the bucks for a Eotech 516 which is not NV compatible but still uses the DL123 batteries. I love this sight, but now that (after the fact) I finnally got the $ to get one, certain influential people in my life (Aimpoint fans) have started pipeing up with negative coments on the Eotech. While I realize their are certain limitations which would cause me to choose differently for a sight goining into a lengthy feild combat enviroment, for my purpose the Eotech is awsome.

Only one potential comment that concerns me "The Eotech will drain batteries just sitting in the off position", however common sense tells me this is not possible, and if it had been at some point in time, surelly it has been rectified since.

Any thoughts from those here?

Downloads
    Uploads
    JMHO:

I honestly like both sights alot. I like the battery life and ruggedness of the Aimpoints and the reticle and HUD style of the EOTechs. The constant EOTech bashing on the other sites is downright rediculous and it seems like the same 4 guys regurgitating the same stuff. Yes, the EOTechs have had some issues, but so did the Aimpoints when they first came out, which some people conveniently forget.

My Department and SWAT Team all have EOTechs and they work great and have had no issues. For LE, EOTechs are great sights because they are very fast for CQB work. For Military purposes, I like the Aimpoints due to the battery life, especailly if I was out in Iraq or Afghan.

The EOTechs require more maintenance such as periodically cleaning the battery contacts and replacing the batteries on a regular basis. When working properly, EOTechs are hard to beat. With either one, irons are a must.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never used an Aimpoint. In fact, I don't think I've ever even looked through one. The big advantage of the Aimpoint is battery life. I've had one problem with one of my 552's and it was dealt with very well by EOTech. I'm tempted to get an M4 because of the AA battery and extreme battery life. I'm also tempted to get a 553 to be able to have all the same type batteries for my lights and sights...

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT KIRK View Post

Any thoughts from those here?

There are people who make comments based on personal info, and there are those that are getting something out of it. The weapon community is getting inundated with people who are in the second group.

I've had problems with an Eotech in a real world event, and I've seen large cardboard boxes of Aimpoints that weren't usable from MIL guys.

Everything can break, its a matter of what it takes to kill it. There are a lot of Eotechs and Aimpoints out in LE and serving in combat very effectively.

I've got an Aimpoint T-1, M4, and M2, as well as a couple Eotech 552s. I carry a 552 on my duty weapon, and I'm not real worried about the comments of some of the other guys. I don't' doubt the Aimpoint may hold up a little better, but both are well built optics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    JMHO:

I honestly like both sights alot. I like the battery life and ruggedness of the Aimpoints and the reticle and HUD style of the EOTechs. The constant EOTech bashing on the other sites is downright rediculous and it seems like the same 4 guys regurgitating the same stuff. Yes, the EOTechs have had some issues, but so did the Aimpoints when they first came out, which some people conveniently forget.

My Department and SWAT Team all have EOTechs and they work great and have had no issues. For LE, EOTechs are great sights because they are very fast for CQB work. For Military purposes, I like the Aimpoints due to the battery life, especailly if I was out in Iraq or Afghan.

The EOTechs require more maintenance such as periodically cleaning the battery contacts and replacing the batteries on a regular basis. When working properly, EOTechs are hard to beat. With either one, irons are a must.
    You and I are thinking on exactly the same terms.... Thanx.

I am expecting great things from my Eotech, and appreciate all of your inputs.

Side Note: Stickman, my hat is off to you for this web site....
    Last edited by CAPT KIRK; 20 August 2008 at 20:43.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Each one has strengths and weaknesses. Aimpoint blows EOTech away in battery life. The EOTech reticule with the 65 MOA outer circle and the 1 MOA inner dot is great for CQB, yet gives a smaller aiming point for distance. The Aimpoint will require a separate mount and the EOTech has a mount built in. For overall ruggedness, I would give the Aimpoint a slight edge over the EOTech.

I have a few of each. I have a EOTech 512 on my patrol carbine now, but I'm looking at adding a new Aimpoint to my in-progress lightweight build. I've managed to break something from each manufacturer and they have each taken care of me well. It really comes down to a matter of personal preferance and understanding what each does.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Separating the wheat from the chaff

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    There are people who make comments based on personal info, and there are those that are getting something out of it. The weapon community is getting inundated with people who are in the second group.
    Stickman said a mouthful. Guys have no idea how much of that is actually going on. Spot on.

The second group is sometimes referred to as "Whorriors".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    Stickman said a mouthful. Guys have no idea how much of that is actually going on. Spot on.

The second group is sometimes referred to as "Whorriors".
    Where I'm from, we call them "sell-outs". I've also heard "people in the know". LOL.

The whole thing is sad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are plenty of whorriors out there. I do my very best to follow my mentor and stick to only what I know and nothing else. Groupthink is a problem as well.

TS

RogerTPA Guest
    I know the Aimpoint beats the EOTech as far as battery life, but I have a EOTech 553 on my Colt and prefer the faster acquisition with the retical on it. YMMV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It (Aimpoint) definitely wins the battery life contest. The EOTech is faster and allows for more precision. It still comes down to personal preference for the most part.

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have a 552, Micro H1 and ML3

each has its positives...and perhaps drawbacks, but all three are good optics.

552 is a hair faster than anything else for me, ML3 works best with a magnifier and the H-1 is the lightest, smallest...and is my personal favorite.

like Stick i've had my EO fail on me in once. for me it was just at the range, but I had a fixed BUIS ready to go, so i didn't miss a beat.

then again, i've also had an issued CCO M68 (M2) go out on me - its battery died during a training exercise...but i was still able to use it as a large ghost ring and somehow bagged an OPFOR member with my un-zeroed MILES2000 emitter - purely through pray & spray technique and a bit of luck

this "debate" seems to be endless on almost all the firearms boards and as always, it all comes down to personal preference, budget and needs. i still feel that both EO and Aimpoint models have their place, but as just about anything else of this nature, the fanboys line up on each side - especially on forums.
    Last edited by parabellum; 10 October 2008 at 22:23. Reason: poor grammar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using both EO-Tech & Aimpoint, both are great red dot sights.
    Our depart's EO-Tech 512 had problems with batteries leaking and damaging the sights. I never had problems with my Aimpoint-M4 or M2.

Our depart's cars however had problems installing the lock mounts for AR rifles with EO-Tech. The Aimpoints had no issues. Having deployed both, I appreciate their quick sighting and durability in everyday use out of a squad car.

My personal thoughts, I tend to pick up the EO-Tech sight quicker-circle/dot but my eye's tend to focus easier with Aimpoint single red dot. Maybe it's a age thing with my eye sight? We had top operators teach our depart and we see both sights, everyone has an opinion. In the end they work and gives us a tactcial advantage-isn't that what we all want? Be safe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have both style of optics, I find I move faster with the Aimpoint than the EoTech. This can be easily explained, I am a .mil instructor/armorer I see and use many sights, by far the higher percentage being Aimpoint's. So I teach with them, train with them, and shoot qual with them. I have both on personal weapons though gravitate toward my Aimpoint weapon more as it is set up like my duty weapon. Neither one is soldier proof, or soldier enviroment proof, they will break given the time.

I will say I like the idea of only needing 1 AA battery to run an optic.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 553/516 line from L3 still has an edge - until Aimpoint can finally build a CompM4D (CR123A battery, decade or so of battery life).

I have both, even a Bushnell. My wife shoots better with an aimpoint, I shoot as well with either but a lot faster with an EOTech.

The only case where I'd say the aimpoint is far and away better would be for crossdominant shooters - a single dot in the nondominant eye is a lot easier to keep track of than the more elaborate HWS Reticle.