Page 13 of 93 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Times

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    How come your family doesn't have a trust, and list you on it?
    As hard as it might be to believe, my folks are anti-gun (they grew up during the Vietnam War - so I'm guessing it's partially due to that). Took them 5 months to say yes to the Jack. My mom's gotten better about it, and at this point is just indifferent about guns ... my dad on the other hand, still hates them to the bottom of his heart.

... it's a work in progress lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but what is 41P?
    From my understanding - it's the proposed plan of the ATF's to basically kill trusts (everyone's assuming that if you have a trust before this goes live, you'll be grandfathered in).

One of the nice things about a trust is that it skirts the whole idea of having to get fingerprints and CLEO sign off. ... I think the ATF's reasoning behind doing this is to prevent bad people from getting things via a trust since there's no background check involved..

A big problem to this is that some folks may not live in a gun-friendly area; read: CLEO's are very unlikely to sign off on NFA items (provided that NFA items are legal to own in one's respective residence). And thus with a trust, one can effectively bypass this problem.

Originally the ATF was suppose to make a final decision sometime back in the beginning of this year - but because they've been inundated with comments/emails/etc they've pushed back their final decision to late spring/early summer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    As hard as it might be to believe, my folks are anti-gun (they grew up during the Vietnam War - so I'm guessing it's partially due to that). Took them 5 months to say yes to the Jack. My mom's gotten better about it, and at this point is just indifferent about guns ... my dad on the other hand, still hates them to the bottom of his heart.

... it's a work in progress lol.
    Doesn't have to be your parents...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doesn't have to be your parents...
    The trust? True. ... but how does this help me? Sure I can be added to a friend's trust or something, but I still wont be able to own any NFA items.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe a stupid question but what is 41P?

http://www.nfafa.org/atf41p.cfm

Downloads
    Uploads
    From my understanding - it's the proposed plan of the ATF's to basically kill trusts (everyone's assuming that if you have a trust before this goes live, you'll be grandfathered in).

One of the nice things about a trust is that it skirts the whole idea of having to get fingerprints and CLEO sign off. ... I think the ATF's reasoning behind doing this is to prevent bad people from getting things via a trust since there's no background check involved..

A big problem to this is that some folks may not live in a gun-friendly area; read: CLEO's are very unlikely to sign off on NFA items (provided that NFA items are legal to own in one's respective residence). And thus with a trust, one can effectively bypass this problem.

Originally the ATF was suppose to make a final decision sometime back in the beginning of this year - but because they've been inundated with comments/emails/etc they've pushed back their final decision to late spring/early summer.

Where I live at the CLEO will sign for anything I want provided that I let him try it out after I get it. But in Houston for example, their CLEO won't sign ANYTHING. You can forget it. It baffles me and pisses off a whole lot of people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Well Deadwing I think you just sealed the STR for me to finish my 14.5. I had a b5 originally scheduled for the project but it looked cheap on THAT rifle. Had been going back and forth between the MFT battlelink and the STR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good choice! I really like the STR. I've also got one on a Mega Arms billet build i did a while back. The STR definitely adds a bit of class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where I live at the CLEO will sign for anything I want provided that I let him try it out after I get it. But in Houston for example, their CLEO won't sign ANYTHING. You can forget it. It baffles me and pisses off a whole lot of people.
    You're a lucky man to live someplace where CLEO signatures aren't a problem. I'm in the same boat as UW, and am waiting on a couple Form 1s i submitted to SBR a couple lowers. I'm hoping my deals gets resupplied on cans soon, as i'd like one more. If 41P passes, it'll probably mean no more NFA goodies unless i move.
    Last edited by Deadwing; 23 February 2015 at 04:25. Reason: Typo correction

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! Looks amazing!! Whose upper is that?
    Thanks! And what UW said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    You're a lucky man to live someplace where CLEO signatures aren't a problem. I'm in the same boat as UW, and am waiting on a couple Form 4s i submitted to SBR a couple lowers. I'm hoping my deals gets resupplied on cans soon, as i'd like one more. If 41P passes, it'll probably mean no more NFA goodies unless i move.
    I have no issues getting a CLEO Sign off... but why would anyone want to do that anyway!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no issues getting a CLEO Sign off... but why would anyone want to do that anyway!
    I'm sure you don't. The rest of us, who aren't LE, are going to be screwed though. Maybe you can put in a good word for me if 41P does pass. You'd think that with me having a govt. security clearance, i'd have no problem with getting CLEO sig either. But from the research i did, i just got a trust and was done with it. Because you're right, who wants to mess with that hassle. I think it's absurd we need to get permission to own things like SBRs, silencers, etc. to begin with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    You'd think that with me having a govt. security clearance, i'd have no problem with getting CLEO sig either.
    Wow - that's pretty stupid ... I guess 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow - that's pretty stupid ... I guess 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4.
    Well, to be fair, a SECRET or TS doesn't mean you're an angel. Google "Fat Leonard."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Well, to be fair, a SECRET or TS doesn't mean you're an angel. Google "Fat Leonard."
    Ah, I see your point.

.... meh, stupid NFA laws to begin with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my local class 3 dealers said they had a guy get his form 1 back in 6 days via e-file. Also that mail in form 4's were about 3 months. Not a bad turn around
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton