Downloads
    Uploads

(How-to) Installing KeyMod Accessories

Alright folks, while bouncing around the forums I have seen a lot of people who either were against KeyMod, didn't understand it or loved it but were having issues attaching accessories. so I thought I would throw together a write up with some photos. Please do not think that because I am doing a write up that KeyMod is complicated, because it is not, in fact it is probably simple enough that some folks are over thinking it.

KeyMod is obviously a larger hole that is connected to a smaller, longer slot with a half circle on the muzzle end. The photo below shows the proper orientation for the backer nut in relation to the KeyMod slot.

This allows for the backer nut, which I am going to refer to as the shoe because that is exactly what it looks like, to slide in then forward as far as possible so that the shoe rests in the machined slot that it is made to fit into. There should be no gap or space between these pieces.

If is in backwards like the photo below it causes a slight space between the edge of the shoe and the end of the KeyMod slot, which you can see in the next photo. This causes an issue with your accessory not locking in correctly and having the ability to slide loose. This has been the issue with several of the QD cup sling mounts I have seen in regards to improper installation.

Like I said earlier the shoe should fit snugly down into the slot, this fit combined with tension is what serves as a backer. If you allow your shoe to be too loose before fitting it into the handguard you are using it can become crooked and even though it feels tight as far as torque wise it is just resting on the edge of the slot it fits into and not doing a thing for your tension. This can cause slipping and wiggle also and is hard to see due to how tight most of these handguards fit to the barrel.

In addition to the shoes and screws for tension every KeyMod accessory piece I have had my hand on has had some sort of lug that rests in the back of the large slot between the two screws or forward of the front tension screw. These lugs contact that larger hole in the KeyMod slot and make it so the accessory can not slide backwards. If this lug doesn't do that you do not have your accessory installed correctly.

This photo shows a properly torqued shoe and screw, the lug directly behind it and then in the back is a shoe that is loose, facing correctly (rounded piece towards the muzzle)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you make a guide on how to put on Noveske rail covers? Or take them off? What a pain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBL View Post
    Can you make a guide on how to put on Noveske rail covers? Or take them off? What a pain.
    There not too bad, use a little heat first and i found them to slip right on and were on firm when they cooled.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha from what I hear Mustangfreek is right. I just normally run gloves, used to be nomex flight gloves but I have been running Line of Fire stuff lately...the are awesome.
    Last edited by DMViergever; 29 March 2014 at 04:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What problems are you having? I have them on a BCM KMR upper. They were extremely simple to put on, with the exception of the last piece. It was just as simple, with the exception that it was as snug as hell getting it in, which I see as a good thing, it will hold things in very tightly. Is that the problem your having? If so, don't do as some of the hacks I saw on you tube do, get out the dremel and start cutting. Just get it in as far as you can, and tap in and down with a small hard rubber or synthetic end of a hammer. If you don't have one of these hammers, you can pick them up at just about any hardware store, or Wal-Mart. A little persistence and it'll eventually pop right end.

I have them on both sides of the rail, and the bottom, with the hand stop. There are a couple of youtube videos that show you how to install them. One guy is a hack and ends up cutting and beating the hell out of them. The other did it quite easily, which it is, just tapping the last piece on the segmented section takes some patience and removal is easy, counter to what youtube guy says. Just follow Noveske dierections, and they pop right off. They are tight, but you want them that way, so they don't loosen or fall out.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    i use downward pressure from my thumb while hitting the back edge with the rubber side from one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-1...FH12/202183882