Downloads
    Uploads

SureFire G2x Pro or Tactical

So I've been interested in getting an EDC light for a while now, just haven't really had to the time to start digging through info until now.

I just recently watched on of Range Time TS's youtube videos regarding the SureFire G2X, in conjunction with the Costa Switchback.

Do some more digging, the two models are slightly different. The Tactical model is momentary only @ 320 lumens, whereas the Pro model is momentary @ 15 lumens, and push button @ 320 lumens.

Now, I'm just starting to do research about light, how it affects the eyes, illumination in low ligh, etc. But I'm curious to see which would you guys choose?

Initially I was thinking about going with the Tactical model since it's momentary only - don't have to worry about (remembering) to manipulate the tailcap. On the other hand, the Pro model has momentary @ 15 lumens -- isn't 320 lumens a lot of light, especially in low light situations. Kind of worried that blasting 320 lumens from the G2X tactical would destroy my night vision, whereas I could use 15 lumens from the Pro model.

Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This really depends on what you plan to use your light for.

I think over the last few years the "lumen wars" have gone out of hand. I've used a "tactical" light either standalone or weapon light for the last 15 years or so and technology has come along way. I'm not sure my original Surefire 6P with 60 lumens and incandencent bulb is all that much better than the newest LED 500 lumen lights. Why? Because normally when I need a light it's for the inside of a house, so I find that too bright of a light causes a lot of back splash lighting with it hits the white walls.

If you have some land and/or your primary use is in open fields, you may benefit from a light lumen light.

I know that didn't really answer your question, but it sounds like you're more hung up on which tail cap vs lumens. I like the 15/320 combo, as sometimes you need just a hint of light without ruining your night vision or giving away your location (if that's important to your uses)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This really depends on what you plan to use your light for.
    Whoops - sorry, forgot to add that. Mostly for EDC, however I might also use it as a handheld backup weapons light with the Costa Switchback.

My main fear of the Pro is messing up the manipulating the tailcap (switching between 15 and 320 lumens) in a high stress situation. However, the Pro does have that 15 that wont destroy my night vision. And like I said, I like the Tactical because it's momentary only - however at 320 lumens, which can be detrimental to night vision.