Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    I appreciate it! I just use a $15 wood burning kit from Home Depot as I don't see the need in spending $100 on a better one. My only complaint with this one is the handle gets pretty hot after a while so I usually have to wear a batting glove. When I first started I used a larger rounded tip and after a few mags I switched to a smaller tip with a fine point. It takes at least twice as long but it looks sooo much better. All of those mags and logo were done with the finer tip. I'll find an old PMAG in a little bit and post a side by side comparison.
    Nothing wrong with that kit. That's what I use. I power it through a $10 lamp dimmer to allow heat control and make all my own tips. (All the ones in the kit are too big for my texture and edging preferences.)

But seriously, That logo you did tells me a lot about your approach and I see a lot of potential in your work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    Nothing wrong with that kit. That's what I use. I power it through a $10 lamp dimmer to allow heat control and make all my own tips. (All the ones in the kit are too big for my texture and edging preferences.)

But seriously, That logo you did tells me a lot about your approach and I see a lot of potential in your work.
    The lamp dimmer is a great idea! I'm gonna have to get one after work tomorrow and try it out. I don't suppose I could talk you into making me a couple tips, huh? Just name your price.

Looks-wise I prefer the pattern on the left, but the pattern on the right definitely has more grip. It's like comparing 80 grit and 600 grit sandpaper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    The lamp dimmer is a great idea! I'm gonna have to get one after work tomorrow and try it out. I don't suppose I could talk you into making me a couple tips, huh? Just name your price.

Looks-wise I prefer the pattern on the left, but the pattern on the right definitely has more grip. It's like comparing 80 grit and 600 grit sandpaper.

The lamp dimmer is a $10 alternative to a $115 variable temperature rig and is less bulky. I got mine from Lowes. Lutron brand. I marked power levels on it after I bought it.

PM me and we can talk a little about tips. I wrestle a lot with giving out specifics on exactly how to do things because I know from experience how formative it is to figure things out for yourself in grip stippling. I can however point you in a direction and let you take it from there to form your own method. You've already got a good foundation.

When it comes to texture, more grip is good to a point. But there is certainly such a thing as too much. Especially on handguns you intend to carry.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Grip Stippling Thread

If this thing had wheels it'd be sex on wheels. I tried several new improvements on this G19 that I finished up a couple hours after the ball dropped last night. I'll post more when I get it in front of a real lens.

Last edited by Battle Cock; 1 January 2016 at 19:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If this thing had wheels it'd be sex on wheels. I tried several new improvements on this G19 that I finished up a couple hours after the ball dropped last night. I'll post more when I get it in front of a real lens.

Excellent work as always, BC! I could really use a thumbs up emoji right about now...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice BC!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. I've still got room for improvement but I'm better now than I ever thought I'd be when I first chose to learn the craft.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking forward to seeing some more of this G19, Battle Cock. And that is the mark of a true craftsman, he never stops learning his craft. Whatcha got in the HK case? Modifying HKs now too, are we?
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been practicing a little. Tried some different designs on this pmag with a different tip. I'm thinking of just taking the plunge and going ahead and doing my m&p. Not sure I'll ever feel 100% "ready" until I just do it.
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing some more of this G19, Battle Cock. And that is the mark of a true craftsman, he never stops learning his craft. Whatcha got in the HK case? Modifying HKs now too, are we?
    The HK case actually belongs to a buddy, but I have plans for a Battlecocked VP9 in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    I've been practicing a little. Tried some different designs on this pmag with a different tip. I'm thinking of just taking the plunge and going ahead and doing my m&p. Not sure I'll ever feel 100% "ready" until I just do it.
    It took me a year and a half of stippling Pmags and AR grips to be willing to do a firearm. If you want to do a gun, then naturally function is to be valued over form. So, it doesnt have to be pretty as long as it feels more comfortable and allows for better retention. That said, the more consistent your pattern is, the more comfortable it will be. So I recommend deciding exactly what pattern you want to use, and then practicing it on Pmags until you produce one that you really like. If you cant stipple a Pmag and be happy with the result, you will regret doing the same thing to a gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HK case actually belongs to a buddy, but I have plans for a Battlecocked VP9 in the near future.

It took me a year and a half of stippling Pmags and AR grips to be willing to do a firearm. If you want to do a gun, then naturally function is to be valued over form. So, it doesnt have to be pretty as long as it feels more comfortable and allows for better retention. That said, the more consistent your pattern is, the more comfortable it will be. So I recommend deciding exactly what pattern you want to use, and then practicing it on Pmags until you produce one that you really like. If you cant stipple a Pmag and be happy with the result, you will regret doing the same thing to a gun.
    Valid points and excellent advice! Thanks BC!
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great work, BC!! I love that G19! Makes me want to send mine to you.......