Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

TR Enabling Obsidian Bolt Carrier Group

I know you guys love the coated Bolt Carrier Groups. This is the latest and newest coating: Obsidian. Checkout TR Enabling for more information and ordering here.

Description:

TR Enabling introduces its latest offering in high performance coatings, Obsidian. Obsidian is a revolutionary coating that offers outstanding performance and appearance. This new coating recorded a coefficient of friction of .06, outperforming all other currently offered bolt carrier coatings. Because of its application process the coating is evenly applied, at a thickness of .0005”, on all surfaces of the assembly. TR Enabling’s Obsidian coating is rated at a hardness of RC70. The guide rails of the carrier have even been hand polished, as well as the mouth of the gas key. Obsidian is rated to withstand prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures, far beyond that which a bolt carrier is exposed. Possibly one of the most notable features of this coating, for the average user, is the extreme cleanability it provides. Resisting carbon build-up and maintaining its performance between cleans is where this coating truly shines. After several thousand rounds, the shooter simply wipes the carbon from the surface. The coating can be cleaned by all conventional means (solvent bath, supersonic submersion and more) however, these methods are generally not necessary. Obsidian is capable of operating without lubrication, once the break-in period of 300 rounds is complete, though it is not recommended. TR Enabling recommends a light grease known as XF-7, however any popular firearm-rated lubricant will suffice.

Specifications:

Coefficient of Friction: .06
    Rockwell Hardness: RC70
    Thickness: .0005”
    Application Method: Electro-less Plating
    Color: Graphite
    Composition: Nickel based coating impregnated with Teflon

Carrier Material: 8620 alloy steel
    Bolt Material: Carpenter 158, MPI
    Extractor: M-16 Extractor, Auto Spring, Buffer and O-ringed
    Gas Key: Machined Billet Steel, Staked to Spec

MSRP: $219

Use Coupon Code OBSID0414 for a 15% Savings Until Apr 15th!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need a BCU for my latest project. The price is right in line with the NiB, maybe I'll score one of these puppies. But, I have to admit, I don't need heavy duty cleaning procedures for NiB. I just spray a little gun scrubber on them, and clean them with a piece of T-Shirt, and "scrape" them with my thumbnail.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's pretty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking nice is probably it's only REAL selling point, seeing how is pretty much does the exact same thing as NiB, but for a little more $$. But, it DOES look nice. Very close in color to NiB after it's been shot some. I say that, kinda hard to tell against the real obsidian background.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes pictures to make it pop would have been better. Now I have to decide to try the tin or this BCG on my next build.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Looking nice is probably it's only REAL selling point, seeing how is pretty much does the exact same thing as NiB, but for a little more $$. But, it DOES look nice. Very close in color to NiB after it's been shot some. I say that, kinda hard to tell against the real obsidian background.
    Aragorn,

Obsidian has a considerably lower coefficient of friction than NiB. This equates to a slicker surface and smoother operation. Our Obsidian coating also achieves a Rockwell hardness of RC70 which is considerably higher than the average NiB hardness of 63-65, This equates to a longer lasting coating. Also, our coating does not change in appearance as the NiB coatings do. No staining, no discoloring. Couple all of these features with the attention to detail put in to each of our units -Polishing of guide rail surfaces, polishing of gas key mouth- and that each of our units utilize a spiral one piece gas ring, and you have a BCG with more than its looks to put it above the fray.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I need a BCU for my latest project. The price is right in line with the NiB, maybe I'll score one of these puppies. But, I have to admit, I don't need heavy duty cleaning procedures for NiB. I just spray a little gun scrubber on them, and clean them with a piece of T-Shirt, and "scrape" them with my thumbnail.

FT
    The cleanability is really only one of its many advantages, but you are correct, once you have reached a certain level in coatings the differences and advantages become smaller, though they still most certainly exist...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TR Enabling View Post
    The cleanability is really only one of its many advantages, but you are correct, once you have reached a certain level in coatings the differences and advantages become smaller, though they still most certainly exist...
    I have a Ranier, Spikes Tactical and Fail Zero NiB bolt in (obviously) separate guns. These manufacturer's have run them dry as much as 20K rounds without lube. I certainly won't ever run more than 4 - 500 rounds at the range, in any one rifle and clean them after every outing. Can I ask, then, why do you recommend using a light grease on the bolt?

That was one of the best selling points for me, that being not having to clean a bunch of "gunked up" grease off of the BCU and the bolt tail.

Also, are your spiral gas rings proprietary? I usually have spare parts in a box I take to the range, but at the very least I'll have a firing pin, some cotter keys, extractor springs and grommets and gas rings, in case of a minor failure.

I suppose I could buy extra gas rings, but in a pinch, out in the middle of nowhere, where would I find the gas rings? Hypothetically, in case of an emergency such as a national disaster, where I had to flee my home, I wouldn't be able to find those rings, if one broke?

Thanks, and good luck,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I have a Ranier, Spikes Tactical and Fail Zero NiB bolt in (obviously) separate guns. These manufacturer's have run them dry as much as 20K rounds without lube. I certainly won't ever run more than 4 - 500 rounds at the range, in any one rifle and clean them after every outing. Can I ask, then, why do you recommend using a light grease on the bolt?

That was one of the best selling points for me, that being not having to clean a bunch of "gunked up" grease off of the BCU and the bolt tail.

Also, are your spiral gas rings proprietary? I usually have spare parts in a box I take to the range, but at the very least I'll have a firing pin, some cotter keys, extractor springs and grommets and gas rings, in case of a minor failure.

I suppose I could buy extra gas rings, but in a pinch, out in the middle of nowhere, where would I find the gas rings? Hypothetically, in case of an emergency such as a national disaster, where I had to flee my home, I wouldn't be able to find those rings, if one broke?

Thanks, and good luck,

FT
    The light grease we recommend is almost undetectable when applied properly. The bolt carrier, once broken in (200 rnds) is more than capable of dry fire operations. We test our BCGs suppressed and dry, as well as in many other scenarios. As we state on our website, we certainly do not recommend a dry scenario and it should be an emergency situation only. The Obsidian BCG will shine using whatever lubrication you prefer. The light grease is recommended for the break-in procedure, beyond that you are free to use whatever you fancy. The spiral gas ring is not proprietary and our Bolts will still accept any mil-spec compatible gas rings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been running a NiB BCG for several years in a suppressed 12.5" AR. Whatever lube I use on the weapon disappears after about 100 rounds. That's when NiB really shines, IMHO. Without a suppressor it runs like every other AR, and all mechanical devices benefit from lubrication.

In my experience, during suppressed use the NiB bolt group runs longer without gumming up than a standard BCG and it's a hell of a lot easier to clean afterwards. On more than one occasion I've simply pulled the BCG, wiped it down with a rag and the gun came right back to life. Not sure I could do the same with a standard phosphate BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I've been running a NiB BCG for several years in a suppressed 12.5" AR. Whatever lube I use on the weapon disappears after about 100 rounds. That's when NiB really shines, IMHO. Without a suppressor it runs like every other AR, and all mechanical devices benefit from lubrication.

In my experience, during suppressed use the NiB bolt group runs longer without gumming up than a standard BCG and it's a hell of a lot easier to clean afterwards. On more than one occasion I've simply pulled the BCG, wiped it down with a rag and the gun came right back to life. Not sure I could do the same with a standard phosphate BCG.
    The bottom line is that Obsidian, in all aspects of recordable performance, outperforms NiB, no matter what lubrication you use. The are of the same family of coating process, Electro-less Nickel based coatings. The main thing that drove us to develop this coating was the discoloration that NiB and even our own NiT coatings experienced. This coating does not suffer from the same discoloration, and also provides a much more subdued appearance, while still letting everyone know you aren't running some stock junk.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the Obsidian Carriers going to replace your Nickel Teflon Carriers? Or are you guys going to offer them concurrently?

Thanks for dropping by and answering questions!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Are the Obsidian Carriers going to replace your Nickel Teflon Carriers? Or are you guys going to offer them concurrently?

Thanks for dropping by and answering questions!
    We will be offering them concurrently, however the NiT models will be out of stock while we gear up for the NiT second gen units.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any plans to use this Obsidian coating on other AR parts? How about the Nickel Teflon?

I'm waiting for Spikes Tactical to crap on this thread... LOL... I couldn't resist!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    KevinBL you must vist TOS's new products forum