Downloads
    Uploads

WMD Guns Nitromet Barrels (Pics added)

Has anybody used a WMD guns Nitromet barrel. I am thinking about picking up a 1:8 twist mid length for a new build.

The purpose of this rifle is going to be a recce style/competition style rifle. I probably won't actually ever compete with it, however, I want a decent bench shooter that can also handle SHTF duty (all my rifles have to pass the SHTF test). I am looking for a barrel that will be accurate but durable and this seems to fit the bill. When I contacted WMD they assured me that it would be a sub MOA barrel...but I am sure they would not tell me their barrel sucks.

Here is a link to what I am looking at...
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Nitromet...m1-colon-8.htm

The other option that I am mulling over is the new Aero Precision SS .223 wylde barrel. This also seems to have some potential. Any thoughts?
    http://aeroprecisionusa.com/223-wyld...th-barrel.html

Here are some pics of the WMD Barrel

Barrel

Barrel Extension

Gas Port and Shoulder

Barrel Threads

Chamber and Bore
    Last edited by rxer311; 10 April 2014 at 18:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure the WMD coated barrels are just fine as they have all the right specs it appears. I don't have any experience with their barrels, which they claim are up to 50% longer lasting than a Chrome Lined one. I have a lot of things coated by WMD and a few BCG's, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them, but there are other options out there if you want to try them out.

"Decent Benchshooter" and "SHTF duty" I'd probably look at the SIONICS barrels as well for $159. Smoking deal and the guys at m4carbine have had some nice results with the accuracy testing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard a lot of good things about those Sionics barrels also. They may be the best deal going on a barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That Sionics 1:8 hard chromed with a pinned low pro gas block looks awesome for $209! Too bad I just bought a new barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just pulled the trigger on the WMD Nitromet barrel. I will report back after I get the rifle put together. I still need a few parts to finish it up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on the WMD Nitromet barrel. I will report back after I get the rifle put together. I still need a few parts to finish it up.
    Are you going to put together an accuracy test?

We probably don't have time or the ammo to put that 50% longer lasting than CL barrel to the test, but I'm curious to see what kind of groups this barrel will shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not they guy to be doing accuracy testing...but I know what I am capable of and will be able to tell if this barrel is more accurate than others I own. I will get a shooter who is better than I to put some groups together when I finish it up.

I did receive the barrel via fedex today. The finish of the barrel looks great. The Nickel Boron barrel extension is a nice touch and is very slick.

The one thing I am slightly disappointed by is that the barrel is not dimpled for a gas block. Since it is a melonite barrel it may be a pain in the ass to drill one. Its not a deal breaker as a clamp on or set screw block should still work...you just have to make darn sure it is lined up properly before tightening it down.

Can't wait to put it together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Are you going to put together an accuracy test?

We probably don't have time or the ammo to put that 50% longer lasting than CL barrel to the test, but I'm curious to see what kind of groups this barrel will shoot.
    I will do a longevity test if I get some ammo donations! ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    if your gonna go to the trouble of dimpling you might as well pin it instead. ADCO says that the dimpling serves as nothing more than an index point for the set screw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    if your gonna go to the trouble of dimpling you might as well pin it instead. ADCO says that the dimpling serves as nothing more than an index point for the set screw.
    I agree. This is why it is not a deal breaker. But, it would be a nice touch.

The only other negative first impression I have is that the barrel is not marked...anywhere. I think every barrel should be marked with at least the caliber and twist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to post some pics of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some pics...

Barrel

Barrel Extension

Gas Port and Shoulder

Barrel Threads

Chamber and Bore

Downloads