Downloads
    Uploads

Primary Arms Advanced Series Full Size Red Dot

Primary Arms is known for their quality optics at a budget price. They continue this tradition by releasing their newest Advanced Series Red Dot. This is a fullsize optic, (slightly bigger than a comparable Aimpoint M4) The Advanced Series Red Dots feature a 50,000 hour battery life (with an auto off feature after 8 hours) as well as an integrated AR heigh QD mount. An optional kill flash is available. Not only is the optic available as a red dot, but a green laser/red dot combo is also available. Much like their other line of red dots, a discounted Primary Arms Magnifier and Mount are also available at the time of purchase. Checkout Primary Arms' website for more information and ordering here.

Description:

Our newest and highest quality series of red dot sight yet. Uses industry standard CR123 battery to provide 50,000 hrs battery life. Integrated AR height mount, Lifetime Warranty

Specifications:

Dot size: 2MOA
    W/E click value: 1/2 MOA
    8-hour auto shutdown
    12 brightness button adjustments
    Night vision compatible at the lowest two settings
    Uses 1 CR123A battery (included) for up to 50,000 hrs
    FDA approved green laser sight (Laser battery life 24hrs)
    Laser classification: Class 3R Available with and without laser
    Water resistant
    Nitrogen purged
    Integrated AR-height QD mount (Absolute CW)
    Optional kill flash available
    Length: 5.75 Inches
    Weight: 13.9 Ounces
    Integrated low temperature green laser, down to 14°F/ -10°C
    Parallax Free
    Lifetime Warranty

MSRP: $169.99 Red Dot Only $219.99 Red Dot/Laser Combo

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if anybody, truly knowledgeable concerning optics, electronics and how these things really work, have done side by side comparisons against more expensive models, such as Aimpoint. I'm not talking about average joe's (like myself) "opinion", but a real nuts and bolts comparison and showdown. An Aimpoint PRO is going to cost me approx. $400 plus more, with an aftermarket QD mount. Is there a reason for this, and is it actually worth the extra cost? Glass, electronics, etc? Case in point. I have an expensive set of Steiner Bino' s, and really can't tell the difference, side by side, with a much less expensive pair of Nikon's. If anyone knows of such a comparison, I'd appreciate it if you'd please let me know.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    While attending a class, one of the other students was a U.S. Optics sales rep (and probably a bit more than that). He mentioned that a big part of what you're paying for with an Aimpoint is the patent. There are very few options out there besides the Aimpoint that give you both the optics clarity and the insane battery life in large part because of their patent, so it's still a valuable commodity. Note, this is separate from what the individual user things of a particular reticule and the inevitable Aimpoint vs. Eotech argument.

I have several PA RDS for my rimfires as well as a Micro on a M1A Scout. PA never claims these are hard use items, but they do keep going. The Comp M3-ish clone on one of my two .22 rifles has been going since 2010 and I've been very happy. But the clarity isn't as good as what you get with an Aimpoint (IMO, anyway). Battery life has historically been much less, as well.

With this thing, it's definitely getting closer with its 50K hour life. I'm not in the market to buy one, but it would be interesting to not the optic clarity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the flip side, gator, I'm not sure I wan't to pop for the $169 to find out that there is an obvious reason that their (Primary Arms) products are so much cheaper, just to have to turn around and buy another Aimpoint, which I would normally, and I guess will be, doing anyway. I guess I'm saying I don't want to spend the money to be the "test dummy" just to "see" the difference.

Plus, as much as I like the Aimpoints, if I buy another PRO for this new project, which I probably will, I'll have to turn around and spend more on a replacement mount, because of past problems I've had with the supplied QD mount. Maybe I'll try a T1.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have one of their new 2.5x optics right now. I haven't seen it but my buddy said "the glass is super clear and it is built like a tank!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The people at Primary Arms are some of the best people to do business with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm leery because of something Gatordev said, and Ive heard before. Primary Arms do not advertise their products for hard use. So, from the bench, and shooting out a coyotes, probably o.k. The Aimpoints can truthfully claim that the PRO was tested and evaluated by the military under diverse conditions, and accepted. I tend to be hard on my guns, even when I don't mean to. I don't baby any of them, and they're only suitable for photography until about the second trip to the range. The rifle I finished a couple of months ago, due to weather and other logistical problems, has only been to the indoor range, and already has it's share of "witness" marks. I don't intentionally abuse them, but I don't treat them like eggs either. Therefore, I want a proven RDS. I'm not saying that the Primary Arms can't hold it's own, but I have to go with the proven product. So, I've essentially already talked myself out of one. I have and have had several Aimpoints, and except for one that had a problematic mount, I've never had a single problem with them.

On the other hand, if I had a rifle that I knew would never see anything but shooting off the bench, or offhand at the range for target practice, I'd be more than willing to try the Primary Arms out. As Gatordev pointed out, he uses his on .22's and has never had an issue with them for that purpose.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a torture test video they made of the optic:

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks decent, but its in the same price range or more lately then the vortex sparc. Which is a good proven small (er) red dot.. with lifetime warranty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks promising. Good to see it coming from PA as well because, as others have noted, they're good folks to do business with.