Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ M2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by XACT_ABORT View Post
    I remember thinking the PPQ was pretty cool when it came out. I would prefer the M1 as well, but I had no idea that the 5 inch version M2 existed. It's possibly the coolest polymer pistol I have seen in a really long time. Thanks for starting the discussion. I have a Glock 19 that I'm pretty partial to just because it runs well for me and from a size perspective I think it's perfect. I think the Walther is a bitcooler though.
    Go shoot one! You'll drop that block in no time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    It's funny, I bought the Glock to try it out just because I hadn't owned one. It has since become my go to pistol. I can run it fast accurately and it carries pretty much in an situation. I like it more than I expected. That being said, I have avoided the PPQ almost on purpose. I think I will try one out. I'll probably try to track down a M1. But I do think its definitely in my future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember when I handled the M&P 9 for the first time in a shop, I didn't think very highly of it. Then I got a chance to run a stock one at the range and turned in better splits than I did with my Glock 24. I know the trigger on the PPQ is supposed to be better than a M&P, but I would like to see if it handles better than a M&P 9 with a Apex trigger.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reset is super sweet as well.....Like a 1/10 of an inch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you guys have to modify your grip in any way to avoid the long slide release?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Do you guys have to modify your grip in any way to avoid the long slide release?
    No, but then again, I have short fingers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nah. Perfect length for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No issues at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Tact, for the sake of discussion I'm curious what it is from your perspective that make this the best out of the box pistol for you. Would you mind elaborating a bit? I would really appreciate your impressions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
    I'm not a doctor.

But honestly, the PPQ has one fault in that it has a higher bore axis than necessary. Other than that it is spectacular. And the paddle release is perfection. And the trigger beats all.
    This just made me laugh... "I'm not a doctor" then straight to business. This was the perfect spot for a Holiday Inn Express reference. Thank you Dr Tran.

I haven't had the chance to put my hands on a PPQ yet but it seems like one that I would like. I used to not put much stock in the bore axis thing but it really does make a difference. Maybe not so much in 9mm compared to 45. Sadly it's probably one of the reasons I less than love my HK45. I really want to like that pistol but it just doesn't do it for me. The ergonomics are great, the trigger guard mag release is awesome. I just can't run it like others... With a lower bore axis. I hope I can stumble on an opportunity to try out a PPQ because it really has my attention at the moment.

Dr Tran, can you by chance compare the trigger to say that of a Glock? What makes it better?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by XACT_ABORT View Post
    Tact, for the sake of discussion I'm curious what it is from your perspective that make this the best out of the box pistol for you. Would you mind elaborating a bit? I would really appreciate your impressions.
    XACT..

Stating it is the best out of the box pistol for me just means that it is nearly perfect and it really doesn't need any modifications.

First the grip fits well in my hand and quite comfortable. I know people like Glocks, but for me they require a grip modification. The trigger is without a doubt the best stock trigger I have ever played with. The reason is that "the trigger is pulled the trigger bar engages a disconnect lever, which props up a sear hook, which releases the fully pre-loaded striker assembly, firing the pistol. Pulling the trigger does not partially load the striker spring as with the Glock and many other striker fired pistol designs. The PPQ trigger pull is entirely due to the trigger and disconnector springs. The PPQ has a trigger travel of approximately 9 mm (0.4 in) with a relatively short trigger reset of 2.5 mm (0.1 in) and a trigger pull of approximately 25 N (5.6 lbf). Unlike many other trigger systems, preset internal strikers have a let-off point and trigger pull that remains unchanged from the first shot to the last and requires no decocker. It should however be noted that the striker of the PPQ variant does not protrude from the back of the slide, as the firearm is in a constant cocked state." I will say that when I dry fired it, the trigger felt just awesome. However, when I actually put some rounds down range it took it to another level......its just amazing! The sights are pretty decent 3 dot sights with an adjustable rear, but I swapped them out for some Dawson Precision presently. The magazines are moderately priced, with ample capacity, and I like the red follower. Some people get all worked up over the high bore axis and low grip, but I don't see any overly exaggerated muzzle flip... after all it is a 9mm. If you want the lowest bore axis pistol, I would go after the Steyr which also has a pretty decent trigger.

Words really can not explain it. I just try to let as many people shoot it so they can experience it. So far all were completely amazed and the one's that had the coin already bought one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tact, thanks for the impressions. The trigger explanation is great and based on your words easy to imagine. I'm not hung up on the bore axis thing. I do think it can matter although you're probably right about 9mm. I do think I'm going to try out a PPQ. Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder how the HK VP9 will stack up against the PPQ? The VP9 almost looks like a clone.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I wonder how the HK VP9 will stack up against the PPQ? The VP9 almost looks like a clone.
    Yup. I'm really curious about the trigger on the VP9.....I really don't see myself getting one in 9mm; now if they offer it in .40 S&W and it has a trigger close to that of the PPQ.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by browcs View Post
    Yup. I'm really curious about the trigger on the VP9.....I really don't see myself getting one in 9mm; now if they offer it in .40 S&W and it has a trigger close to that of the PPQ.......
    I'm very intrigued by the VP9. I really like my PPQ and shoot it very well, but I hope that the VP9 is so good that I'd ditch the PPQ for it. Love to see the state of the art advance. Fortunately, I have a great pistol to use in the meantime while I'm waiting for the pros and cons of the VP9 to become known. Right now, the frantic posturing by the Walther faithful is almost pathetic in the way so many are pooh-poohing the VP9 based on a Youtube video and their interpretation of the specs, all without ever seeing one in person let alone actually shooting it.